ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone here boost their ADA MP1?  (Read 61263 times)

Chamai

Re: Anyone here boost their ADA MP1?
« Reply #60 on: Time Format »

@ MJMP

So you can't run a JCM800 at more reasonable volume then?  It has to be loud?

@ Chamai
I don't mean to sound like a :poop: here, but why run an ADA MP1 into a JCM800?  Isn't this like running something that's tries to emulate a JCM800 into a JCM800?  Since you have a JCM800 why not just boost that?

Also different it may be, but you can run an MP1 into a solidstate power amp and get a good sound.  Plenty of people have, and plenty of people do.

Very different sound imo. A boosted jcm 800 much more aggressive and saturated. Which is hard to do with the mp1

Mp1 one can give me a thick rhythm tone without being too aggressive but with enough gain the same time. Which I find it hard to achieve with the 800. Hard to explain. I'm just a jcm800 fanboy.

i tried using a my mosvalve with my mp1, i didn't like it. i love the sound of a cranked power section.
ADA MP1/JCM800-- Fulltone TERC/ Eventide Eclipse /Lexicon PCM 81/ TC G Major. Marshall 9005 stereo/ (2) Rocktron 1x12 cabs
Amps:
Marshall JCM 800 100w on Orange 2x12
Marshall JCM 900 MKiii 50W 2x12
Mesa Dual Rectifier 100w on Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Guitars:
2008 Gibson Les Paul standard
2012 Fender American standard Telecaster
1984 Krammer ZX30H

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #61 on: Time Format »

+1

And for me the MP-1 sounds a lot better with a tube amp then with a SS amp.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #62 on: Time Format »

+1

Well that's subjective of course, all I'm sayng is there is more than one way that it can sound good.  And I'm also saying there are a lot of people who have used a solid state amps with these preamps and sounded good.  Hell I'm not using any amp with my new/old MP1 and I'm getting it to sound good DI recording.

If I was going to go to go all tube myself I would just buy an amp head (a Laney AOR springs to mind - heard good things), it seems pointless to run a rack preamp and power amp to me that are both tube.  That's what I thought was the advantage of having a tube rack preamp in the first place, to get the tube sound but with less hassle of running and maintaining a tube head.

@ MJMP

@ Chamai
I don't mean to sound like a :poop: here, but why run an ADA MP1 into a JCM800?  Isn't this like running something that's tries to emulate a JCM800 into a JCM800?  Since you have a JCM800 why not just boost that?

Also different it may be, but you can run an MP1 into a solidstate power amp and get a good sound.  Plenty of people have, and plenty of people do.

Very different sound imo. A boosted jcm 800 much more aggressive and saturated. Which is hard to do with the mp1

Mp1 one can give me a thick rhythm tone without being too aggressive but with enough gain the same time. Which I find it hard to achieve with the 800. Hard to explain. I'm just a jcm800 fanboy.

i tried using a my mosvalve with my mp1, i didn't like it. i love the sound of a cranked power section.

Ok I'm sure it is different, but isn't there something smaller that can achieve the same thing (without nit picking) pushing the JCM?  Just seems excessive since so many people choose a JCM for it's JCM-ness and chose and MP1 for emulating something similar but without the drawbacks of a full tube head.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Chip Roberts

• Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
    • Chip Roberts Official
« Reply #63 on: Time Format »

+1

Well that's subjective of course, all I'm sayng is there is more than one way that it can sound good.  And I'm also saying there are a lot of people who have used a solid state amps with these preamps and sounded good.  Hell I'm not using any amp with my new/old MP1 and I'm getting it to sound good DI recording.

If I was going to go to go all tube myself I would just buy an amp head (a Laney AOR springs to mind - heard good things), it seems pointless to run a rack preamp and power amp to me that are both tube.  That's what I thought was the advantage of having a tube rack preamp in the first place, to get the tube sound but with less hassle of running and maintaining a tube head.

@ MJMP

@ Chamai

Ok I'm sure it is different, but isn't there something smaller that can achieve the same thing (without nit picking) pushing the JCM?  Just seems excessive since so many people choose a JCM for it's JCM-ness and chose and MP1 for emulating something similar but without the drawbacks of a full tube head.

Ooooohh, Laney AOR!  I've been on a real vintage kick since getting my MP1 and been thinking about getting this one if/when I get the caps!  That, and/or a Carvin X100B.  Sir Vinnie Vincent was endorsed by Laney and Carvin, respectively, but reports indicate his actual sound came from a mic'd up Jose modded Marshall combo in the back.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Chip Roberts »
Rack of Death:
MP1 v2.01/Roland GP8/Boss NS50/ADA B200s

Pedalboard:
Boss TU2, Mooer Pitchbox, Boss BF2, Boss CE5, MXR EVH Phase 90, Behringer HB01 Wah/ART X15 Ultrafoot/

Cabinet:
Custom 2X12 with WGS Retro 30/HM75

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #64 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, yes the original concept was to have a tube preamp and SS poweramp, an idea I'd been sprucing since I was 14. But some prefer an all tube poweramp and ADA did make the T100S (very rare beasts).  I've had a good run with the Carvin TS100, though I prefer the B200s.  Tube amps are so heavy to lug  :facepalm: . Although the TS100 is much lighter than earlier tube amps, it's still a "brick" though.

Anyway as you say it's all subjective, how you get the tone you want is individual.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Chamai

« Reply #65 on: Time Format »

+1

@ MJMP

@ Chamai

im waiting to get my hands on a 9000 series marshall power amp. until then, nothing comes close to plugging into the jcm 800. i like plugging into the input because i can mess around with the eq on the amp to further adjust my sound since the mp1 is quite limited. unfortunately, i can't get a good ss clean sound the jcm plugged in so i dedicate my 2nd mp1 just for cleans. that goes to the power section of my dual rec for now. 6l6's has a thicker sounding cleans imo.

i am not a fan of getting all my distortion sound with just pre amp gain. imo, it sounds fizzy and lacks balls. i don't mind having excessive amount of gear as long as it gets me the sound i want. i can't get 100% clean with a tube power amp because i crank the volume on my jcm 800. thats why i have no clean patches on my 1st mp1.
 i love overkill guitar rigs. planning on adding a second 10 space rack or just move to a 20 space fridge.
ADA MP1/JCM800-- Fulltone TERC/ Eventide Eclipse /Lexicon PCM 81/ TC G Major. Marshall 9005 stereo/ (2) Rocktron 1x12 cabs
Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #66 on: Time Format »

i looked at Marshall 9000 series last week but it was an SS version.  The Tube version looks like it will be heavier than your JCM800 lol

I never have an issue with no balls and fizz with my preamps.  I might though if I scooped all the mids and bumped up the presence etc.

Also guitar speakers have a part to play with that as well I find.  Get the right speakers and fizz is never an issue.  I've mixed vintage 30's with Eminence CV-75's.

I was looking at this amp the other day, still a little big for my tastes.  check link and scroll down.  Mind you I'm very happy with my class D amp, very versatile and lot's of power.

http://www.rockin.co.jp/shop/archives/31953.html

I'm all for excess too man but when you're flying on a plane to another country or general light weight touring is concerned a fridge rack setup is not practical which is why my rig is only a 3U and may only ever expand to a 4U.

Hey RG, yes the original concept was to have a tube preamp and SS poweramp, an idea I'd been sprucing since I was 14. But some prefer an all tube poweramp and ADA did make the T100S (very rare beasts).  I've had a good run with the Carvin TS100, though I prefer the B200s.  Tube amps are so heavy to lug  :facepalm: . Although the TS100 is much lighter than earlier tube amps, it's still a "brick" though.

Anyway as you say it's all subjective, how you get the tone you want is individual.

That's what I thought.  When you say sprucing, what do you mean?  I think I say an ADA tube amp a few weeks ago.  I personally would not venture into the full tube territory as it comes with a lot more maintenance.

Is your carvin a two racker 2U?  Funny how that Carvin you have is nearly the same model number as the Ada T100S.
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #67 on: Time Format »

Hey Chamai, whatever makes the sound you want/like  :thumb-up: . I've put some interesting rigs together over the years combining everything I could get my hands on  >:D .

Hey RG, I was 14 when I was sprucing that idea.  Back then Marshalls didn't have a master vol and were made on peg boards.  I used to haunt a music store (BAEZ Music) in Newcastle (Australia) owned by a pommy guy Mick Sampson.  He designed and built awesome tube amps, similar to Marshalls but had 2 channels and both had master vol... and used PCBs (neat) Anyway watching him build them and understanding that allot (if not all) of the tone "I" wanted was in the preamp, and seeing/knowing how heavy tube poweramps (transformers) are, and also at this point in time SS amps were getting a leg up (Rolland Jazz Chorus etc) I suggested why not just replace the poweramp section with a SS amp  :dunno: .  Well it didn't happen, I was this pesky 14 year old, he/they tolerated me (every Wednesday arvo (instead of going to school sport))... So at this time, no midi, the first Seiko guit tuner came out...  For me the MP-1 was the embodiment of that dream I spose, it just made sense  :dunno: .
Yeah carvin is 2RU and the closeness of the model numbers is easy to mistake  :facepalm: .  Upside with the Carvin, it's about half the weight of some other 50/50 tube amps.  But it really doesn't add colour, maybe a hint of tube warmth ( :dunno: ) so depends what you are looking for.

Chamai

« Reply #68 on: Time Format »

i looked at Marshall 9000 series last week but it was an SS version.  The Tube version looks like it will be heavier than your JCM800 lol

I never have an issue with no balls and fizz with my preamps.  I might though if I scooped all the mids and bumped up the presence etc.

Also guitar speakers have a part to play with that as well I find.  Get the right speakers and fizz is never an issue.  I've mixed vintage 30's with Eminence CV-75's.

I was looking at this amp the other day, still a little big for my tastes.  check link and scroll down.  Mind you I'm very happy with my class D amp, very versatile and lot's of power.

http://www.rockin.co.jp/shop/archives/31953.html

i don't mind the weight. since my rig never leaves home.

you from japan by any chance???

man, i remember i was there more than 10 years ago and there was a whole street full of music gear. why can't we have cool places like that in canada.

I'm all for excess too man but when you're flying on a plane to another country or general light weight touring is concerned a fridge rack setup is not practical which is why my rig is only a 3U and may only ever expand to a 4U.

That's what I thought.  When you say sprucing, what do you mean?  I think I say an ADA tube amp a few weeks ago.  I personally would not venture into the full tube territory as it comes with a lot more maintenance.

Is your carvin a two racker 2U?  Funny how that Carvin you have is nearly the same model number as the Ada T100S.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Kim »
Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #69 on: Time Format »

I used to hang around a music shop in Newcastle (Australia) instead of going to school sport (~1970)..  The guy who owned it BAEZ Music designed and made tube amps and cabs etc.  I was watching him build amps and chatting when it seemed (to me) a good idea to have the tube preamp separate and use a SS amp just for the power amp, as most of the tone was being shaped in the preamp and tube power stages are very heavy.  He never made one though (despite my encouragement LoL). His amps were 2 channel each with its own master vol, first I'd seen that setup.

Yeah the closeness of the model numbers is interesting.  The TS100 is 2 RU, nice amp, also runs in bridge mode (unless you have different tubes in each channel (eg EL34s left, 6L6 right)). Nice amp, very transparent.

rickeb1

« Reply #70 on: Time Format »

Just to throw in another $.02... A while back I put together an inexpensive "B" rig consisting of an MP-2 and an old Carvin SS DCM-150 I happened to have laying unused in a closet.  Got a used Avatar 2x12 and put in a V30 and a GT-100 that I also happened to have laying around.  I was not expecting a lot from this setup, to be honest, as I thought the SS power amp would not sound great, but I was hoping it would be passable for jamming and some small gigs. 

I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised on how good this little rig sounds!  I have actually gotten compliments on how punchy this rig is.  Yeah, it would probably sound better with a tube power amp, but it showed me that you can get good tones even with a SS power amp, at least on a small scale.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #71 on: Time Format »

Well even at a larger scale, I've used a B200s for a long time, when it needed a short holiday (after 30 years) I bought a TS100 all tube.  Quite nice, but the B200s I find better and it gives me 120w a side, so not shabby.  I can imagine the DCM 150 sounds quite good, I have a DCM200L in my live rack at the moment, great for bass with MB-1 and also great for guitar with MP-2. But again I really like the B200s, they are just amazing amps for what we do.. (why am I not surprised, I still recon ADA preamps are the best on the planet  >:D )

Rawk777

« Reply #72 on: Time Format »

I play a lot of fast palm muting stuff, and I use a Proco Rat to boost my MP1. It works well with the MP1, MP2, Triaxis, but not with my Rocktron Chameleon 2000, wich is a digital preamp. The pedal is actually a Deucetone Rat, that have in total 4 different clipping options, including a clean boost.

I tryed different pedals to boost my preamps, and I compared them with a true bypass pedal switcher. In order of appreciation: Rat, BD-2, Ts-808, SD-1, BBE Crusher, MT-2, Behringer MIC200, DS-1.

1- Rat Deucetone
This is my favorite. I prefer all of the modes of the Rat, to every other pedal I tryed to use as a boost. All the modes have slight different flavors (more bass, more agressive, etc.), but they are all good. It's true bypass, and really doesn't like to have a buffer in front of it. With boss pedal in front of it, it sounded like crap. It sounds tight, really low noise, awesome. Just don't put too much distortion or you'll mess everything ( I set mine about like this - dist-9h, filter-12h, level 3h).

2- BD-2
A bit more warm than the Rat, and have a more vintage/warm vibe to it. Really nice.

3- Ts-808
Sounds nice and natural, just add a touch of punch, but not quite enough for my taste, and introduce way more noise than the rat.

4- SD-1
The less expensive pedal! I could have put it in 3rd place at the place of the 808. More agressive than the ts-808, but more harsh too. That pedal can be microphonic and cause feedback.

5- BBE Crusher
Suppose to be really close to Marshall The Guv'Nor. Doesn'T sounds bad, but it have a 3 band EQ. I don't want to tweak a 3 band eq on my boost pedal! It's true bypass.

6- MT-2
Metal Zone! I have been able to get a not to bad sound, close to the SD-1... But every other settings sounded really bad.

7- Behringer MIC200
It's actually a small mic preamp that can work as a DI. It has a tube in it. I did not play a lot with it because it caused to much noise to be used as a booster for heavy guitar sounds. The sounds "wanted" to be nice, but was just too noisy.

8- BOSS DS-1
I have not been able to have an instesting sound as a booster with it. It's a classic distortion pedal, but I just could not find a way to use it as a booster.

I also tryed about every OD/DS pedals simulation of my BOSS GT-10, but I consider it a different topic :). I don't think I would have tryed a RAT pedal if I didn't have a simulation of it in the GT-10. That's a great tool, but I'm trying to remove it from my rig.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #73 on: Time Format »

Adding a new boost that I tried out.  I initially tried this and thought it was too much in front of the MP1.  It kind is a Boss OD2 copy (but I've not actually used one of them so I cannot say for sure).

The Exar OD4 which is a hand assembled pedal.  I never heard of this brand before but it's very good quality.

Adding it as a boost I find setting

drive > 0
turbo > 0
Tone > 10
Level > 6  (this can be turned higher but I personally would not go more than 7)

gives great distortion boost, clarity and feel of the MP1 left intact but as there is extra gain it has the added element of extra compression however I'd still say there is quite a bit of dynamic range left (like how it responded before the boost) which I didn't actually want but it's kind nice as notes seem to really respond.

Good overdrive pedal in it's own right and a viable boost for the MP1.  See picture.

Chamai

« Reply #74 on: Time Format »

after plugging into my 9002, i ditched the boost. my mp1 sounded way better paired with this power amp. way better than plugging into my jcm800 low input. no boost pedal for me now. turning the mids 1 step down on the mp1 and a EQ mid boost + a few DB on the input infront of the mp1 is perfect. i find that adjustment the presence on the power amp allows me to find tune my tone better compared to the presence on my mp1. the jump is too big on the mp1.
Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Up