ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good ear plugs for guitar  (Read 2907 times)

vansinn

Good ear plugs for guitar
« on: Time Format »

EDIT: This is about plugs used for working with DI / speaker emulation, rather than for listening to program material.

The best plugs I've found so far are a set of Sony MDR-E808's - which I actually found on the street ;)
I also have a set of AKG IP2's, but those have too much high frequency contents for guitar.

The Sony's are nicely rounded-off, without sounding dull at all, the cable doesn't make much noise, and they sit well.
The AKG's, as said, are too aggressive in the high band, the cable makes a helluvalot of noise, and they easily fall out.

Your take on plugs..
« Last Edit: Time Format by van Sinn »

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
Re: Good ear plugs for guitar
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

I have not found a set that I like.

Usually, they work great for cancelling the high pitched freqs of drummer's cymbals and then I can't hear myself during a solo. Grrr....

I wear a set of Sennheiser cans at home, but use IEMs live. I use the Shure 425 earbuds for my IEMs & they're very nice.

vansinn

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Should've been a Bit more precise..
I meant plugs useful when working with DI / speaker emulation.

This requires the plugs aren't too aggressive from the upper presence and up, because emulations often do not accurately enough follow real speaker/mic transfer curves (especially when not using convolution/IR).

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

I nearly gave an answer into my musician earplugs that I have used and found the most useful over the years.

I don't wear ear plugs when playing guitar at home.  I use studio reference headphones.  I have Samson SR850's which I find excellent quality and then I have a Superlux copy of the exact same model of headphones.  They are both supposed to be flat reponse.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Superlux makes a good guitar cab mic too - looks like a Sennheiser e609 - half the price

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Someone else recommended superlux mics on here before and I cannot remember who??  SC was it you?

I can vouch for those phones for sure, might give a mic a go at some point.

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Someone else recommended superlux mics on here before and I cannot remember who??  SC was it you?

I can vouch for those phones for sure, might give a mic a go at some point.
Yap, that was me. Also recommended that to Dante.
FWIW, I also use a Superlux HD668B Headphone when tracking/noodling at home.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

The ones I have are Superlux HD681, however the 668's seem to sell more expensive so I'm not sure which model is regarded as the better between the two.  Price suggests the 668 but model number suggests the 681.  From what I can tell the 681 is almost a copy of the Samson SR850's and they in turn are AKG copies from what I have gathered.

I definitely going to back a few of those SuperLux mic's SC.  :thumb-up:

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

The mic is the Supelux PRA328 MkII, think of mix between Sennheiser 906 and SM57.
The 668B headphones were an inexpensive buy just for noodling when the fam is in the house and they project a real nice “in-room” sound.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

it sounds good too!

I drape mine in front of my speaker. If the cab is tilted back, I put a wristband around it to keep it from vibrating on the metal speaker cover

Great mic, cheap price, pretty dang bulletproof
Pages: [1]   Go Up