ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: European version  (Read 9400 times)

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
European version
« on: Time Format »

Is there any difference in the European version of the MP-1?
 Cosmetically yes, soft buttons are smaller, lcd screen is smaller and of course that ridiculous plug.
However it seems to sound a bit brighter than mine (and I have newer tubes in mine). Going to open it up tomorrow and see if maybe it has the long tubes in it. :dunno:
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
Re: European version
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

It´s just made to run on real man´s power  :lol: :lol:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

It´s just made to run on real man´s power  :lol: :lol:
+1  :thumb-up: LOL
There were different versions of the MP1 over time (MJMP and others will know the history better than me). I bought the first model. Based on having 2 MP2s which I've set up the same (tubes etc), they sound a bit different from one another. And later tonight I'll fire up my 3rd MP2 which I picked up from the post office this morning  :whoohoo!: . It has the same tubes also (Mullard LPs) so that will be interesting.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Soloist

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Ok the difference is my latest mp1 is the original 1.38 firmware. It actually sounds better than the newer version. Cleans are cleaner and the high gain has more bite to it.
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

There are a few revisions of the mp-1,the original was the A rev (very rare) and then it goes up to the G rev.But the only difference between the US,EU/AU,and Japanese version was the different transformer.
« Last Edit: Time Format by MarshallJMP »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Ok the difference is my latest mp1 is the original 1.38 firmware. It actually sounds better than the newer version. Cleans are cleaner and the high gain has more bite to it.
To rule out the differences between units (and they do sound subtly different (also different trim pot tweaks etc)) is swap the EPROM in the same unit and compare, I wouldn't have thought the later Firmware changed to sound much, so will be good to know if it has an affect on the tones and what that affect is.

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

AFAIK the firmware has no impact on the sound/tone. It´s the different components/brands of components used on the various revisions of the board....There is however a difference in tone between the "old" top switch units and the later ones. Common consensus was/is that the older top-switch units sound a tad bit better (with "better" being once again subjective).

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Also how old the tubes are (and what they are) makes a big difference. Picked up my latest MP2 yesterday, tubes wern't even burnt in, sounded so bright and full of life, made me realise it's probably time to change the tubes in my live MP2 LOL they've been in there a while now.. Also given they don't pump (vacuum) tubes as much anymore, so they don't last as long.

Soloist

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

I'm did some tube and EPROM swapping back and forth and from what I can tell:

A:  the one unit is brighter than the other. Might be the different components like SC was saying, or maybe somethings starting to go on my original unit  :dunno:.

B: EPROMS do sound different:
V1.38 seems to have more presence and wider dynamic range (if that makes sense to you)
v2.01 seems more compressed on the high end.

I also read an article by Michael Wagener (Record Producer for Skid Row/Dokken ect.), he states the 1.38 version sounds better than the 2.01.(subjective I know) but I have used both EPROMS with the same unit, same tubes and they do sound different.
I know the firmware update doesn't include any tone changes however it does seem to add more compression to it.
Does anyone have any release notes from the 2.01 firmware update? I would really like to know all of what the update included.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Soloist »
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Interesting results, now where did I put that 1.38 EPROM...LOL

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

That´s interesting indeed...my MP-1s are rev B and C with the top switch and I preferred them after Noise-modding, new tube boards (with Belton Micalex sockets) and replacement of various caps with with Orange Drop 716Ps along with the 2.01 Eprom.
But I also prefer a slightly compressed/sweeter/smoother/creamier top end over an all too bright clear one (-> Boogie Mk sound direction  8) )

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

About Wagner,he meant a V1.38 unit and not the eprom,the eprom doesn't change the sound.Mp-1's are abit like marshall amps,they all sound a bit different from each other.And some just have that WAUW factor.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Hey MJMP, (the eprom doesn't change the sound) That was my understanding also but Soloist says he changed and compared in the same unit and they sounded different (but I have used both EPROMS with the same unit, same tubes and they do sound different:dunno:

Soloist

« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

I cant explain it either... it shouldn't be.
They sound really good blended together though!
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Hey MJMP, (the eprom doesn't change the sound) That was my understanding also but Soloist says he changed and compared in the same unit and they sounded different (but I have used both EPROMS with the same unit, same tubes and they do sound different:dunno:

Mmm have to try that.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up