ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: dealing with GAS  (Read 106694 times)

Chamai

dealing with GAS
« on: Time Format »

hey all,
just wondering how all with you deal with GAS?!!!!

it's income tax season so not spending any money and paying off taxes is on top of my list. Seems like every time when i shouldn't  be spending, good gear pops up.
every time when i do have cash to spend, there's nothing on the market locally.

for some reason, i am really wanting a 65amp and a friedman. my hobby is getting more expensive.

ADA MP1/JCM800-- Fulltone TERC/ Eventide Eclipse /Lexicon PCM 81/ TC G Major. Marshall 9005 stereo/ (2) Rocktron 1x12 cabs
Amps:
Marshall JCM 800 100w on Orange 2x12
Marshall JCM 900 MKiii 50W 2x12
Mesa Dual Rectifier 100w on Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Guitars:
2008 Gibson Les Paul standard
2012 Fender American standard Telecaster
1984 Krammer ZX30H

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
Re: dealing with GAS
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Probably the gear pops up when you can't afford it because people are selling stuff to pay their taxes too!

Friedman amps are nice, but very pricey, and I've been checking those out myself. But I won't get one, I know that already, and the reason? Because I can reproduce those same sounds with the ADA gear I have already.
   I have old tube Fender amps so I have all the clean sounds covered. My Classic can cover the Plexi tones that Friedman does, plus a lot of tones the Friedman can't do, and the MP-1, 3TM, and MP-2 can cover everything else.
   So...why would I want to plunk down $3500 for a head that would limit me to just a couple of sounds?  :dunno:
   I can't think of a reason.
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

Iperfungus

• Methodical killers do good jobs!
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

My last GAS attack was for 3 used DiMarzio DM2001 white pickup covers for one of my Strats.
5 euros well spent!  :banana:
On the run again!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Hey Max, well 5 euros isn't that bad LoL...  Weren't you saving up for another 2 x 12 and a MP2  :dunno:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Iperfungus

• Methodical killers do good jobs!
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Hey Max, well 5 euros isn't that bad LoL...  Weren't you saving up for another 2 x 12 and a MP2  :dunno:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm saving to send my MP-1 to MJMP for updates!  :banana: :banana: :banana:
On the run again!

Chamai

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

sometimes you just want more gear. great to have more options

the mp1 is an amazing piece. but it does have some things i don't like. limited eqing and picking feel. can't really get that more tight sound when gain is turned up

few days ago, i actually tried to run my mp1 like an OD pedal to the high input of my jcm 800.

man, it sounds pretty damn awesome. you can pretty much design your own OD voicing. OD1 and OD2 set around 2.6. Bass 0 mids 2 treble 2 presence 0

ADA MP1/JCM800-- Fulltone TERC/ Eventide Eclipse /Lexicon PCM 81/ TC G Major. Marshall 9005 stereo/ (2) Rocktron 1x12 cabs
Amps:
Marshall JCM 800 100w on Orange 2x12
Marshall JCM 900 MKiii 50W 2x12
Mesa Dual Rectifier 100w on Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Guitars:
2008 Gibson Les Paul standard
2012 Fender American standard Telecaster
1984 Krammer ZX30H

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

...I was just about to type "cured"....but then - never say never ;-)

Nah, seriously. The only thing I´m GASing towards at the moment is awesome refrets as I´ve really come to appreciate good fret jobs as of lately. A decent fret job (even just a leveling) takes your std guitar to another level.
Having found a trustworthy luthier here in Tokyo, I have another 3 of my guitars in line for a refret.

Speaking of Tokyo and GAS...humongeous odds over here to find late 80s to mid 90s Ibanez RGs for dirt cheap. And that´s where I usually can´t resist.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Mmm SC, doesn't sound like "cured" to me LoL, specially now you're in Ibby heaven  >:D :whoohoo!: . Nothing like a good fret job  :thumb-up: and those gold frets you've been getting into look awesome.

Hey Chamai, this is basically what ADA have done with the MP1 Channel (http://www.adaamps.com/Products/ada-MP1/MP1.htm) albeit with a few less options....  Does the JCM800 have an Fx retn ? that's another place you could plug your MP-1 into  >:D (or put it in the loop, though better the other way  :dunno: )

Hey GAS is something we all enjoy (in a world that sometimes.... :facepalm: ), as long as you don't go too crazy, then why not  :whoohoo!:

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Chamai,

I tell myself two things all the time;

1. I don't need anything
2. Don't go shopping without money

Neither works particularly well, but I do remind myself often

Zilthy

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

I buy it.  And then later wonder why I keep buying things, instead of putting it to my mortgage, retirement, etc.

Then I feel bad, but fortunately, I have found a resolution for that.  I look for more gear. :O

I have to admit, it may not be the most financially or emotionally sound way of dealing with it, but it is dealing with it.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Okay, now I have a question on this subject;

If you are in the position I'm in, and you want to record and mix yourself, but you don't have the tools to do so properly, and you start buying the things you need, is that still considered G.A.S.?

I found myself wondering if G.A.S. is just a frivolous purchase, or does it apply to necessities? I'm curious to see how everyone else views this topic.

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Salient point Harley, I suspect GAS is what it is for each of us (albeit a little different for each, but something we enjoy ?). Personally I relate well to your current situation, you want to record and mix yourself etc.  I spose sometimes GAS is a frivolous purchase (I know I've done that, but do I regret it mmm depends I spose). But to focus more on home recording, worst case is you make reasonable demos, best case is you can do a pretty good job these days with what's available.  I thought your recent purchase of the Focuswrite I/O is a really good foundation (IMHO you need good I/O and while the onboard chips are "ok"...).  When I started, I just used it (protools digi 001 > win98 PC) as a digital tape machine (and still do BTW LoL). I do All my monitoring and input from an external analogue desk (therefore no latency issues !!) and just like a studio.... add a behringer headphone amp for vox overdubs  :whoohoo!:

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

latest GAS for me a Tokai Custom Edition strat which I am not actually happy with and am selling on (so was a total waste of a purchase  :facepalm:)

And today a new Ada MP1 that could be absolute garbarge, so fingers crossed it's in good shape.  I'm thinking of doing a MOD 4 mkII if it's not totaly piece of shit.  Paid £155 for it.  Not including postage.

GAS for me is buying stuff I do not really need.  I alkready own excessive amount of guitars.  I've been good for a long while now but I've had a lapse.  If I sell the few guitars I want rid off though it will work out my latest purchases will not be so bad then.  I try get stuff and then get rid of something else to have a balance if you understand me.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

I would have to agree with Gerry. G.A.S. is buying something that you want, not something you need. Right now I am eyeing another Jackson,  do I need it...no but I want it. :headbanger:
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

I would have to agree with Gerry. G.A.S. is buying something that you want, not something you need. Right now I am eyeing another Jackson,  do I need it...no but I want it. :headbanger:

+1  :thumb-up:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23   Go Up