ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone here boost their ADA MP1?  (Read 61175 times)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
Re: Anyone here boost their ADA MP1?
« Reply #90 on: Time Format »

wow, you guys pay a lot more over there.
can't change everything. but it's almost like having a bunch of od pedals in one.
certain amps work better on certain settings. works well for me

Well of course, it's imported to us.

still looks pretty expensive to me even from a US site.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PalisadesV2

That's £184 in my money vs £40  :lol:

also for me personally I would need to reason up the cost for such a device which would literally just be to sit in front of something else and not actually be forming the bulk of my tone.  If I was heavily reliant on the pedal itself being the cornerstone of my tone I would contemplate spending this kind of cash on it,  but when I think to myself I can bag a second hand MP1 for this money I think "not a f**king chance".  It looks like a great pedal, but then so does the Chinese pedal.  The Palisades has the most options I have ever saw on an lowely overdrive pedal.  The Biyang has plenty for my taste though and I dare saw the majority of other over drive users.  I can't wait to try it out.  I've never had a tube screamer so this should be like having a tubescreamer with options.

**I would actually remove those horrible chicken head knobs from the chinese pedal however as I don't like them and put on something more basic.**
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Chamai

« Reply #91 on: Time Format »

boost is a huge part of my tone so i don't mind spending a little more on one. and having all these options in one pedal is great. i really loved my sd1, but it cuts out a bit too much bass. i can just switch modes on my pallisades and it sounds like my sd1 with a bit less bass cut. but i still keep it on my board because it works so well with my dual rectifier.

i am not really a pedal guy. all i have is a comp, od pedal, mxr micro amp and a noise gate. prob getting rid of the noise gate since i don't really need it anymore.
ADA MP1/JCM800-- Fulltone TERC/ Eventide Eclipse /Lexicon PCM 81/ TC G Major. Marshall 9005 stereo/ (2) Rocktron 1x12 cabs
Amps:
Marshall JCM 800 100w on Orange 2x12
Marshall JCM 900 MKiii 50W 2x12
Mesa Dual Rectifier 100w on Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Guitars:
2008 Gibson Les Paul standard
2012 Fender American standard Telecaster
1984 Krammer ZX30H

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #92 on: Time Format »

I didn't mean it that way that a boost wasn't so important, I just couldnt part with that much cash for a single pedal.  Particularly when you can get something just as a good for a lot cheaper.
It's the same with guitars.  There are so many good options now days that it's not necessary for me anyways.

You're a bit screwed now ( joking  :thumb-up:) then since you don't need a boost what with that Marshall 9000, you gonna sell that pallisades?

Interesting you said the SD-1 thinned out the tone.  This was exactly like picking an overdrive on my Boss GT5 and boosting the MP1 in the FX loop.  The GT5 is an all analogue drive section.  The over drive I used was called Vintage Over Drive.  Not exactly sure what model of boss over drive it was supposed to be.  To compensate however I used the EQ to add a little more bottom end back in again.  I recorded half my albums guitars using this set up (and I might be going back to it as an FX unit has not worked out for me).

I'm not a pedal guy so to speak, I consider pedal guys guy's with board with about 4-10 pedals on there into an amp, but live I use a Boss GT5 and whichever preamp I'm in the mood for in the loop.  In studio it was the same until recently but now I might have to swap it all back again to the GT5.

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

Chamai

« Reply #93 on: Time Format »

i use the palisades for all my tube amps. that pedal is never leaving my board.

well the key to get a good tight distortion is to have some bass cut out and boost the bass up after the pre amp.i don't have a parametric eq on my marshall rig yet. mesa amps seem to have more bass than i never need so an eq is not needed. i need a slight boost on the 500kh area just to get some low mids on my jcm 800 when i am play at bed room levels. i like my mids, so scooping to get a bigger sound is not my style.

i am interested in the gt5 now you mentioned it is an all analogue drive.  seems like a cool way to get a few analogue pedals in one unit.
ADA MP1/JCM800-- Fulltone TERC/ Eventide Eclipse /Lexicon PCM 81/ TC G Major. Marshall 9005 stereo/ (2) Rocktron 1x12 cabs
Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #94 on: Time Format »

i use the palisades for all my tube amps. that pedal is never leaving my board.

Not pedal guy   :lol:

I use more mids than anyone I know so I'm with you there.  MJMP has heard it live so he can vouch.  It's good as it means you can hear all my mistakes  :facepalm:

I don't normally have to cut any bass or low end, I find I generally need to bump the lo end up with my Rockmasters anyway.  With the MP1 live though, I remember having to cut it at least down to -2, as it had more than enough going through my poweramp and cabs and just sounded muddy if I didn't.  I must test drive it again live and see where I am at.  It's mainly been a studio thing for me for the last few years.

Yes the GT5 I used the amp modeler with analogue drive module before a pre amp for a long time.  It sounded good.  I mean I got away with it  :)

Now I use the exact same but in the loop I have a preamp.  The drive section and possibly some other elements (the wha) at the front end are analogue.  It's the exact same with the Boss GX700 (the rack version with probably a little more in depth FX features).  The only OD I was ale to use however as a boost in front of MP1 was the Vintage Overdrive.  The EQ in front works also.  It's great as what ever you put in the loop you can move about in an assignable FX chain.

Chamai

« Reply #95 on: Time Format »

i only use 2 OD pedals and a comp for my amps. all my modulation and verbs and shit i use my rack pieces. i have nothing in front of my MP1. maybe a EQ pedal, but that POS mxr broke so i really have nothing in front.

i find always cutting some bass before hitting preamp gives a more clear distortion. i have my bass at least 6 on MP1. what are your settings and speakers? i never had the muddy problem but lacking low end punch because of how the mp1 was voiced.
Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #96 on: Time Format »

I personally use 4  2x12" cabs loaded with Celestion vintage 30s and Eminence cv-75s.

At gigs sometimes I end up using cabs that have been supplied and it's usually 2 4x12" cabs.  What speakers are in them generally will be a mystery to me.  I guess it's common for me to be playing through Marshall 1960's but it they can be anything really.

i find always cutting some bass before hitting preamp gives a more clear distortion. i have my bass at least 6 on MP1. what are your settings and speakers? i never had the muddy problem but lacking low end punch because of how the mp1 was voiced.

Well that all depends on guitars and pickups really on whether you have to do that or not.  If I add a boost from my GT5 it does exactly what you describe hence the thinning as it's become bias to mid and hi frequencies.  Personally though I've never cut bass from a guitar going into an amp.

I can't remember the last live patch I used on my MP1.  In the studio its at usually at zero or around 2 or something like that. 
Here is one patch I've been using in the studio for months and not strayed much from:  (posted earlier on this thread actually)

Boosted by GT5 OD

OD1 4.2
OD2 7
Bass 2
Mid 6
Treble 0
Presence 6

Systematic Chaos is another person on here I remember saying he needs to cut a lot of the bass on the MP1.  Can't remember where that post is though.  I'll have a look.
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »

Chamai

« Reply #97 on: Time Format »

i run two 1x12's unfortunately at home, that is why i have my bass up a bit. i the reason why i cut bass is to shape my distortion sound. here is an article that i learn this technique from. it's a good read.

http://www.amptone.com/g228.htm

i use g12t75. those are my favourite speakers for my jcm 800 and mp1.

Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #98 on: Time Format »

I'll give that a read, seems very in depth.  I've done all that kind of experimenting before though.

It really will depend on your guitar and pickups to begin with though.  Like a Les Paul is going to have more lo frequencies than a strat for example.

Chamai

« Reply #99 on: Time Format »

For sure. My les paul is pretty much the only guitar I use for metal and rock. A slight volume boost and bass treble.cut with mid boost on an eq in front of the mp1breally helps.tighten things up on the mp1.. works well with any amp really. It gives the now a boosted feel without changing the tone much. Also I can up the bass on the now without sounding muddy at all.

Multiple gain stages IMO is the key to a good distortion tone. Again. My shitty mxr eq is usable right now.
Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #100 on: Time Format »

Ok sorry to keep draggint his thread up for the non boosters out there.......................but

The Biyang X-drive is the shit when it comes to boosting my stock MP1.  It's savage.  And the noise floor?  Holy shit batman!  I was able to have the:

volume about 3 o clock,
drive at about 7 o clock
tone about 3 o clock
toggle switch set to TS (tube sceamer mode)

in front of my MP1 and actually able to reduce my noise threshold on my Hush IICX!!!  It's a very quiet OD pedal, very quiet!  This setting in front of my MP1 using this patch is pretty face ripping.  Still enough mids even with the EQ at 0.  I only tried this with one guitar that has a Dimarzio Megadrive in it, so I'll check out some of my Super Distortion equipped guitars later and see how they sound.

OD1 4.2
OD2 7
Bass 2
Mid 0
Treble 0
Presence 6

The guitar becomes super silky smooth to play and there is still definition and plenty of cut through.  I'd say this was a super heavy setting, kind similar to what you can get with a 3TM.  I'm sure none of you will try the X-drive or need it, but don't discount it if the need for an OD ever arises, it's very good and that price is shockingly good.

gb

« Reply #101 on: Time Format »

interesting thread. Im not really a boost guy as i just have a separate patch with increased gain or volume etc.. however saying that, i always loved the jcm 800 patch on Amplitube and realised why.. it had a "pro drive" pedal boosting in front. So got me thinking.. i run a Lexicon G2 that has "copys" of the typical boost pedals (OD, TS etc). I compared an Original TS with the lexicon copy version of it and they are pretty damm close. So i thought id boost my rhythm mp1 patch with the lexicon and yes it does give it some ooomph and some depth (a pushed sound, harmonics scream out etc). I compared it with my unboosted mp1 lead patch and its comparable however the boosted rhythm has an "edge" a pushed sound.. the lead mp1 patch is up there too but more smooth with clarity. hard to decide however they are options all built into my setup with no extra pedals or cables. So i have nothing really to contribute lol just wanted to share.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #102 on: Time Format »

Hey GB,

you have contributed mate, simply by telling us you now see how a boost in front of an MP1 can add something very useful for a particular sound.

The tube screamer clone I have been using is f**king savage in front of my stock MP1.  Harmonically it adds lots of content and also maintains a lot of string definition.  For the type of music I play I could not do without a boost in front a stock mp1.  Simply adding more gain on the MP1 itself and using without boost does not achieve the same thing.  The extra "layer" comes from something put at the front.

I like how you have put the lexicon's onboard drives to good use.  This is like me when I was using my Boss GT5 onboard analogue overdrive as a boost.

Chip Roberts

• Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
    • Chip Roberts Official
« Reply #103 on: Time Format »

Not sure if it's moot at this point, but I've seen video of George Lynch running a Rat through the front end of his MP1 circa '89.
Rack of Death:
MP1 v2.01/Roland GP8/Boss NS50/ADA B200s

Pedalboard:
Boss TU2, Mooer Pitchbox, Boss BF2, Boss CE5, MXR EVH Phase 90, Behringer HB01 Wah/ART X15 Ultrafoot/

Cabinet:
Custom 2X12 with WGS Retro 30/HM75

Rawk777

« Reply #104 on: Time Format »

I really love Rat pedals to boost high gain amps. I have a rat deucetone (wich have 4 differents rat versions in it), and I love to use every modes. Right now I like the dirty rat the most. Aweome pedal :).

I think the pedal also sounds good as a distortion pedal on a clean channel, but I just use it as a boost (dist 9 oclock, filter noon, level 3 oclock).
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Up