ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: how to tame harsh guitar recordings  (Read 16798 times)

El Chiguete

Re: how to tame harsh guitar recordings
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

Here is another free plug in El  :o  Let me know what you think of these when you start playing with them.  I have both, but sometimes I just manually move one track by hand to what ever amount of delay I want.

http://www.voxengo.com/product/stereotouch/

Thanks but to be honest I won be doing much experimentation for now because I don't have the need to do a bunch of post production on my playing around... But you never know :)
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

@Peter,what panning do you usually use for guitar? Hard L & R or more more moderate?

As a rule of thumb 60-80% L/R on intro's and bridges. As soon as vocals or a solo hits they go hard left and right.
But it really varies.
I might also do quadruple takes (like you do) and use 1 amp (setting) for hard L+R, and 1 amp (setting) for 60% L+R

8)

Thanks,interesting need to try some things you do.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

Here is another free plug in El  :o  Let me know what you think of these when you start playing with them.  I have both, but sometimes I just manually move one track by hand to what ever amount of delay I want.

http://www.voxengo.com/product/stereotouch/

Thanks but to be honest I won be doing much experimentation for now because I don't have the need to do a bunch of post production on my playing around... But you never know :)

I know but it's good stuff to know about and will give things added dimension.

@Peter,what panning do you usually use for guitar? Hard L & R or more more moderate?

As a rule of thumb 60-80% L/R on intro's and bridges. As soon as vocals or a solo hits they go hard left and right.
But it really varies.
I might also do quadruple takes (like you do) and use 1 amp (setting) for hard L+R, and 1 amp (setting) for 60% L+R

8)

I hear a lot of panning like this on many albums I have.  You need to use it right though as vocals and guitar will class if too close and other things like snare and any other mid range elements.

I would like to experiment with the guitar 70% one side 30% the opposite and bass 70% one side (opposite of the guitar 70%) and 30% the opposite.

Quite a number of Venom records are like this.  I heard Van Halen 1 was like this as well, but I've never checked it out.  It's only a one guitar band type panning situation from the records I have heard.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

(I would like to experiment with the guitar 70% one side 30% the opposite and bass 70% one side (opposite of the guitar 70%) and 30% the opposite). This is a good approach to try, I used to mix live stuff panned this way, the 30% being on the same side as the source
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up