ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: So I've bought some cheap pickups  (Read 28869 times)

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
Re: So I've bought some cheap pickups
« Reply #30 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, I had almost the same thing happen but with Seymour Duncan JB's!
I really liked how my JB's sounded in my Jackson so I thought I would put them in my cheap ass ESP to beef it up. After they were in they didn't sound anything like the p/u's in my Jackson at all. They were exactally as you described it mid-raunchy with a lot of bite, but in a good way.
Pinch harmonics have a richer "squeal" to them and seem to just fly off the neck with little effort. :metal:
Also cleans sound really good, clear well defined chords and arpeggios.
I think it's the guitar, wood is different, neck is different ect. The basic differences between a $400 guitar and a $1200 guitar.
It does a great Scholtz or Lynch tone with the extra mids, adds a different flavor compared to my other axes with JB's as well as my super distortions.  :thumb-up:
Looking forward to hearing your clips! :whoohoo!:
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #31 on: Time Format »

Dante I hear ya man!!  It's crazy how different sounds can be from one axe to the other.

The main goal for me here though is to tell whether these cheap ass pickups which you can get for $18.90 are any good.  And even worth installing and keeping.

Well  how can I say this, they are good!!  A ridiculously cheap alternative.  I would really like someone else to try them purely because I think I'm going insane.  It would be nice to have some validation that these cheap ass pups are GOOD!

Here is a question before I post any comparisons, what is the best way to compare the tone?  Clean sounds or distorted?

I have done both!!  But I want peoples opinions.  Purely because on the hi gain clips it is hard to tell the difference, the sound very "Peavey Rockmaster" which is the preamp I recorded with. 

Also there is something that cannot be detailed in sound clips and that is the "feel".  The Cali feels different from the dimarzio.  This could be down to the lo end that the dimarzio seems to possess more off.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #32 on: Time Format »

Mmm good question RG. Off the top of my head I'd say clean, medium and high gain, to get a good coverage (but there are so many variables, guitar, strings, playing style, pick, preamp etc etc). It's not an easy comparison to do, if you think they sound good and you like them, I appreciate your opinion, your not one to hold back. So, so far these PUs are seeming good  :thumb-up: .
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

El Chiguete

« Reply #33 on: Time Format »

I believe that the best way to compare pickups is using great classic tube amps because they have more interaction with the guitar than a modern amp... that being said the same settings on clean, medium high gain sounds will be ok to compare but keep in mind to try and play stuf that makes you listen to the subtle IMPORTANT differences on each sound. For example, I think its better to do short runs of chords, arpegios, single sustain notes and licks rather than be playing a 45 secs because then its hard to remember what every part sounded like.
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #34 on: Time Format »

Personally, I test them with open chords. Both clean and half-drive-gain type sounds. I want to hear the articulation of each note in the chord, rather than a wall of mud. I also use a couple signature riffs that I use as a reference point:
  • Opening riff to Limelight (RUSH) - this is my go-to Classic Rock tone
  • Semi Charmed Life (Third Eye Blind) chorus part - big open chords (G / D / C) that really tell you if you can hear each note
  • Breakin the Law (Judas) - really becomes evident when I hit that big A chord in the verse - very similar to the Limelight tone

That's how I test pickups. Again, just my technique

I too run the same riffs with each guitar when comparing. Short runs, so that it's easy to recall, as Richard says. I find that the high gain sounds will be there if I have a pickup that sounds 'clear' - testing with high gain doesn't do me any good, because it tends to hide muddiness (again, for me).
« Last Edit: Time Format by Dante »

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #35 on: Time Format »

Agreed Dante, I figured not piling on the gain would be best.

The pickups are close but different when A and B'd.  For what it's worth you can get a really good pickup for a silly cheap price of these guys!  Caliguitar that is.

Ok clips,  I'll upload all the dimarzio dp100 clips first then the calig h32

first is the clean finger picked dp100 clip

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #36 on: Time Format »

dp100 clean but with a 1.4mm thick nylon pick

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #37 on: Time Format »

ok guys I can't upload a file again   >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(.

I get no type of error message.  I cannot upload my crunch wav file which is under the limit.  The limit is 15mb my file is 14.1mb

can anyone help me out?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #38 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, Made it 20mb (in case of overheads), see how that goes, otherwise it's not us  :crazy:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #39 on: Time Format »

ok I tried it again it still will not let me.  It keeps just bringing me up a blank new message template.  :facepalm:

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #40 on: Time Format »

Suggested work-around: set up an account at Soundcloud and just embed the soundcloud-clips (should work like youtube >> )

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #41 on: Time Format »

good idea sc

I already have an account with nothing uploaded so here goes

where do I find the code SC?  Can't see it anywhere.

<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/231660284&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>

« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: Time Format »

Hmmmm, maybe just try and copy the url you have on your browser when you select one of your soundcloud files....

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: Time Format »

Works....second one sounds juicy, dig it!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up