ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What Guitar Polish/cleaner do you use ?  (Read 9672 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Thought I'd start this topic just based on some recent experience. All I've ever used to clean the lacquered surfaces on my guitars is a little drop or two of lemon oil on a nice guitar cloth (I pick one corner). The lemon oil cleans any dirt/oil/dust really well and easily. I then just use a clean area of the cloth to wipe off and polish up. Worked well for me for years.
I noticed MikeBs LPC was nice and shiny, he uses the Gibson polish so I bought some to give it a try (I got the Gibson "bucket", 3 cloths, polish, finger board oil and metal parts cleaner). So tried the polish the other day on my Anderson (Nitrocellulose lacquer), hey, it's ok but I find the lemon oil works much better/faster/easier.

Though, no mater what you read elsewhere, DON'T use lemon oil on unfinished surfaces like rosewood/ebony whatever finger boards (fine for lacquered maple) as it has water in it which lifts/swells the grain and also leaves an annoying white residue.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
Re: What Guitar Polish/cleaner do you use ?
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

- Oil-Soap, Birchwood/Casey Tru-Oil and Gunstock Wax for back of neck
- PRS Fretboard Conditioner for the fretboard
- Dr Duck's AxWax for body

DesmoBob

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Gibson polish. I used to use Pledge furniture polish until I got a nitro neck.

Most of the time my fretboards are "conditioned" with dead skin and finger funk. If I feel like cleaning them, I use a fingernail and tissue. Once every few years I use Fret Doctor on the rosewood fingerboards.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Dunlop Formula 65 and an old T-shirt

On the neck: Dr. Stringfellow Lem-Oil

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

BodyGuard - Spray & Guard Maintenance

BodyGuard - Guitar Wax & Polish

Proline - Lemon Oil Fretboard Conditioner

Lint-free clean rag.
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

I'm using the Dunlop 65 pump spray currently. I used to use the Fender pump spray, but they don't make it anymore I suppose.
 The real trick is not to use these new micro fiber polish cloths they are selling these days. They suck farts out of bus seats. Get the old style flannel polish cloths for buffing out the finish after you wipe it down. This makes the finish as slick as wet glass  :thumb-up:
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Tend to agree about the micro fiber cloths, I was given one a while ago and use it for some things, but not polishing the guitar. So I use a bunch of old style lint free cloths, each guitar has it's own, and I use a couple of others dedicated to fingerboard cleaning/oiling. So I bought some Gibson polish recently (a bucket/tin with polish, metal cleaner and FB oil and 3 (old style) cloths. I tried the polish on my Anderson, isn't as good as lemon oil IMO.

The thing with polishing is that most are a very fine cutting compounds and the particles break down and get finer the more you work them (getting a good glassy finish takes elbow grease) so they take out their own scratches which get finer and finer the more you work it. Mistake is to keep reapplying the polish (backwards step). Brasso works very well as long as you keep working the same application, then buff with a wool buffing wheel in your drill (wipe ALL brasso off first and careful/slowly/gently), this then heats/melts the lacquer taking out the last of the brasso scratches (this is with Nitrocellulose BTW and after spraying the guitar then sanding with 1200 wet/dry using soap and water). Most guitar polishes are designed for after this step just to keep it nice and shiny and why I find lemon oil works well, doesn't polish, just cleans.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

GuitarBuilder

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Martin Guitar Polish
ADA and Rockman Heads
Marshall amps
Strats and Les Pauls

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

A long time ago, I used to use a Gibson Polish that came in a black and white aerosol spray, and that wasn't bad, but I haven't seen that around in a long time either. I think it might have been Pledge with a different label  :dunno:
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

I have accidentally sprayed lemon oil on the body of my guitar several times (thinking it was the Formula 65), and it does a good job of cleaning the guitar too :)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

I use planet waves Restore shit (I wont buy it again though so only till it runs out)

it smells like turtle wax and probably is.  I use this on guitar until is goes dull.  Then I buff off with Micro Fibre cloth.  I find Micro fibre cloths good for everything if you don't want to scratch.  I clean cds and dvds with them also!

I don't polish with them I just buff with them.

I also use DR Ducks Axe wax.  Its not wax at all though.  I've had the same bottle for about ten years.  Good shit so it is.  Pisses me off though as it can be greasy and particularly on hardware/chrome etc.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

DorsetRatt

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

I was trying to restore the nitrocellulose lacquer finish on an old flying v, went through so many different cleaners and polishes, and to be honest it was making the finish worse, almost as if the lacquer was too soft and sticky. I ended up taking a chance and buying some Virtuoso Cleaner and Polish (bloody expensive though), it worked really well and also seemed to harden the surface of the lacquer (so no more sticky neck).
Preamps: MP-1, MP-1 Classic, MP-2, Soldano SP-77, Piranha
Guitars: Sutch Siran Headless, Palm Bay Tidalwave, ESP M-1, Gibson Flying V

Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

That Virtuoso Cleaner and Polish,is this something special,never heard of it before?

DorsetRatt

« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Hey MJMP, I think the Virtuoso stuff is made in the US but I managed to find one place that sold it in the UK. I thought the sticky flying v was heading for a complete re-spray, the colour was meant to be cardinal red but had gone milky in places ... so I guess the Virtuoso got me out of trouble.
Preamps: MP-1, MP-1 Classic, MP-2, Soldano SP-77, Piranha
Guitars: Sutch Siran Headless, Palm Bay Tidalwave, ESP M-1, Gibson Flying V

Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Ah ok thanks for the info.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up