ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Repairing vs buying MP-1  (Read 3902 times)

kfowler8

Repairing vs buying MP-1
« on: Time Format »

I have a love/hate relationship with my MP1. I think it sounds great but it's become very unreliable. It's gotten to the point where I have little confidence in using it in live situations. Sucks too because I really like my current setup.

Well things came to a head last night. I was packing my stuff for rehearsal tonight when my 6 rack SKB case with MP1 fell off my bar onto the floor. It was my fault. I was being careless. All the other rack gear works fine but now the MP1 won't power on. No lights, anything.

I pulled the MP1 and checked the tubes and fuse. It powered on but when I put it back on the case it stopped working again. I suspect it's a lose wire somewhere.

So I'm at the point where I'm debating sending it off to have it repaired or just buying a "new" one that's more reliable. I guess this is the problem with using 30+ year old gear.

What's your thoughts? Anyone in the US that does repairs?

Iperfungus

• Methodical killers do good jobs!
Re: Repairing vs buying MP-1
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Solution: buy a "new" one as backup and let some skilled people repair your "old" MP-1.

DJC here posted something about ADA stuff repair in the USA, but maybe it was related to Las Vegas area...
On the run again!

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

I can do MP-1 repairs/mods as long as I'm able to troubleshoot it properly.  Usually I can get busted ones going, but every now and then there's one that seems to just defy everything I know about them.  lol. 

I used to work on MP-1s a lot back in the day; nowadays I don't have a lot of time for doing as many of those as I once did..... but I'd be happy to look at this one for you if you want to send it here.  I'm in Wisconsin.  :wave:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Hey kfowler8, my view is it's better the one you know (a bit like a used car I spose).  I agree with Max though, get another as a spare.  I went down this path (to some degree) when I contemplated not having my MP-2 anymore, what would I have instead ??, nothing out there goes near it for what I want. So now I have 4 MP-2s just in case (albeit my original MP-2 (bought new BTW) is still going strong.
It seems MP-1s are getting to an age that a good "greece and oil change" is required (depending on ware and tare etc) so sending it to Kim (if he's up for it and seems he is ??) for a solid makeover is a good idea (so you have a unit you can be confidant about (crap I never though I'd ever say that about a MP-1  :facepalm: they are just sooo reliable...)).  My guess is maybe some of the IC chips may have been dislodged (a little) OR maybe the ribbon cable from the front switch board to the main board has come loose in the crash to the floor ??  That it's in the rack or not shouldn't make any difference.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

I totally agree with the guy's.  Get another unit, and then get the other one fixed.

I have an issue with one of my MP1's currently as well, but probably/hopefully a lot less severe than your issue.  If you dropped it from a height you may have dislodged something inside.  That's quite a drop for a rack.  4-5ft may be?  I guess you are lucky your other gear is working.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

And if needed I can give Kim some support if something comes up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up