ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Todd Langner death  (Read 12817 times)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Todd Langner death
« on: Time Format »

I got a mail from a guy called Stewart to inform us that Todd Langner died on June 2, 2016.This is really sad news. For me Todd was one of the best amp mod guys.

He also contributed to the making of the MP-1.So we have to thank him for that great sound he gave us !!!

vansinn

Re: Todd Langner death
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

We all must go at some point in time, but this is really sad, just in his mid-50's.
Rest in Peace, Todd.

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

RIP Todd.  Thank you for your knowledge and work on the ADA stuff.   :'(

Iperfungus

• Methodical killers do good jobs!
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Very sad, indeed.
R.I.P.

I'll never be grateful enough for the MP-1.
On the run again!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

:'(
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

I got the same email, with this link:

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/name/todd-langner-obituary?pid=1000000180260224

I asked Harley to write a quick note because I think he knew Todd better than the rest of us.

Dante

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Very good idea Dante.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Very good idea Dante.
+1  :facepalm:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Yes Dante, and thank you.

My Apologies for being so late in posting here, I just found this post. Dante did forward Stewart's email to me, and learning of Todd's passing was very saddening indeed.
    Memories of the countless hours Todd and I spent on the phone talking about all sorts of things, (not just ADA gear), flooded my mind for the next several days. I just couldn't believe it, since he was a few years younger than I. Todd was full of life, energy, and imagination. A great combination, but on top of that he was one of the coolest personalities you'd ever want to meet.
   I first became aquainted with Todd when he was the head of ADA Service Dept. I spoke with him on several occasions over ADA effects I was having issues with, in particular one S-1000 delay that no one ever figured out what was wrong. At the time I was using the ADA effects, there was no MP-1 on the market yet, but Todd would drop teasers over the phone to me about something new that was coming out, and he thought I would like it. Todd knew at the time I was running my rack effects through my Gallien-Kruger, and I was digging the quality of sound I was getting. We would bounce ideas off each other more and more as we talked more frequently.
   Then the MP-1 was released in 1987.
    After I auditioned the MP-1, I went home and called Todd that afternoon and asked him if that was the new thing that he kept dropping hints about? He said it was, and so was the power amp that was built for it. I told him it was fantastic! He started laughing, and said I knew you'd like it, so...are you going to get one? I said Of Course!!! But, I had to sell my old Marshall and Orange amps to afford it since I could get all those tones from the MP-1. He said you could also sell your G-K, Vox, and Fender amps too because they are all in there as well! We went on talking for a few hours that day, and between the two of us, we put together (on paper), a full blown stage system for guitar which I was going to start building, and so began my journey with the rack systems that I still use today.
    It bears mentioning in this Forum, that it was Todd and I who came up with the concept of what eventually became my EMB Intelligent Wah-Panner. Todd introduced me to Matt Bacchi who did the actual building of the unit, and wrote the bell software for the Wah variations, and Todd also suggested that I send Matt my problematic S-1000, which he could modify to work with the foot controller, to not only bypass the effect, but also to control the LFO sweep manually that way. This became a reality after two more years, and I still own the effect, and it's the only one in the world like it.
    Now I also have to mention that shortly after I got my first ADA preamp, Todd began dropping hints again about something really exciting that he was doing with the MP-1, and this time, I wasn't going to let him off the hook. So I asked him directly, Okay, you strung me along for months before the MP-1 came out and never told me what it was...now, are you guys going to make a better version that will make mine obsolete when it's released? He laughed and said they were working on upgrades for the MP-1, but what he was doing was something totally different with the MP-1 and that probably wouldn't make it to the public. So I said, then why don't you share what the idea is? I'm not a technician, so I can't steal your idea and build it first if that's what your worried about! He started laughing and told me he was trying to add another tube stage to the preamp. I asked him what would that do, make it louder? No...he says, it'll make it RAUNCHIER! I told him that the MP-1 already had some pretty raunchy distortions in it now, and he promised it'll get even MORE! He was right. The birth of the 3TM.  I'll be keeping mine in honor of his memory.
     I have missed those stimulating conversations with Todd over the years, as he and I are both very imaginative people, so we had a lot of fun sharing ideas and coming up with the weird and exotic. Todd made many of his ideas become reality, and he helped and gave me the inspiration to make some of mine become reality too. I believe I am a better person today because of my friendship with Todd, just because it shows what humanity is capable of when we aren't fighting with each other. Todd showed me that we can make great things happen.
    He was one of the finest people to ever have lived among us, and he will be missed. So, if I don't see you no more in this world, I'll see you in the next one, don't be late.

Rest in Peace my friend.

Harley :'(
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Wauw that was a great story. Seems Todd was a great guy to deal with.

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Wow truly an amazing story Harley, thank you so much for sharing this, and so sorry for the loss of your friend.

So I guess ADA never did officially do the 3TM version and that was an upgrade he did later on his own?  :)
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com
www.youtube.com/dannyjoecarter
www.Faceb**k.com/dannyjoe.carter

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

:bow:

That's a very nice tribute to your ol' friend there Harley. Nicely done, thank you very much for sharing those stories.

Iperfungus

« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

...just because it shows what humanity is capable of when we aren't fighting with each other. Todd showed me that we can make great things happen.

Thanks for the story, Harley.
Todd Langner was a sort of mythological figure when I was younger and reading guitar magazines, many years ago.

What I quoted, by the way, is basically what happens here, making The Depot a great place to be: sharing.
There's a lot of knowledge in this place and all the people who owns this knowledge simply shares it.

I'm thinking about people like you or Richard or MJMP over all...

I'm happy I wanted another ADA MP-1 after all these years and that this has brought me here.
On the run again!

Iperfungus

« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

So I guess ADA never did officially do the 3TM version and that was an upgrade he did later on his own?  :)

That could have been called the MP-3!  :headbanger:
On the run again!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

From what I could read in my "Todd" book he made a 3 tube design for the mp-1 but due to budget it never came and ADA went for a 2 tube design.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up