ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: The rackstar ADA should do  (Read 14816 times)

vansinn

The rackstar ADA should do
« on: Time Format »

From the "New Preamp Pedal underway:

They should just make us the MP-3 we've been asking for, 3 or 4 preamp tubes, include MP-1, MP-2 and MP-1 classic tones (circuits) some decent Fx digital and analogue based on their brilliant past devices and all the goodies that are in a MP-2 and blow the AxeFx into the bit bucket by using "real" sounds. But it seems they want to make stomp boxes  :facepalm: which is what I bought my first MP-1 to get away from...

Well.. one interesting aspect to this is IMHO: Will 'they' let them? I'm thinking of the Hormones..
No major product gets to market without permission and membership to the right lodges.

Another issue when developing this new potential MP-3 would be: How many effects?
A pure preamp with ample S/R loops would be sexy for many.
Include the most needed effects, and some would be totally satisfied; however, reviewers would likely comment this as being sparsely populated, and developing a full range of affects takes a lot of time - unless, of course, they'd simply license those from, say, Lexicon, in which case they'd need permission nonetheless.

I'd be totally happy with two tubes prepended by a stomp like their gain-sensitive pedal plus one parametric filter, wah, compressor/sustainer, a post-6-band EQ, a few reverbs, a multitap delay, a solo delay, true-stereo chorus and flange, tremolo, a simple pitch for playing double and a simple harmonizer for adding extra timbre; all of it hookable to an envelope follower for dynamic control based on playing style.
One relocatable mono loop, and one stereo loop, plus direct out for tuner or recording raw string.
Some analog speaker filters, and a buiild-in looper with separate outputs.

Basically an MP-2 with pre stomp and EQ, plus some effects, better speaksim and a looper.. :bow:
« Last Edit: Time Format by van Sinn »

Iperfungus

• Methodical killers do good jobs!
Re: The rackstar ADA should do
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

I love Richard's idea of a full-tubes preamp with MP-1, MP-1 Classic and MP-2 voicings in one box and with a MDRT-like transformer.
I would also have 3-4 tubes there and the possibility to switch tubes to have normal vocings, 3TM, custom ones...
It could be a 2U rack, in order to have a good design for all of the needed boards.
A good noise gate, some built-in digital FX (classic stuff is enough...), the ADA analog chorus and a couple of programmable loops.
Full MIDI, of course.
Stereo OUTs, direct OUTs with selectable IR speakers emulation, a good headphone out.

Am I missing something?
« Last Edit: Time Format by Iperfungus »
On the run again!

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Ahhh, the wonderful world of dreams...

You know, it would be amazing to see what Dave Tarnowski and company could come up with as far as building an all-out rack mount preamp again, but there are a lot of things to consider before doing something like this in a practical application. For one thing, the current trend in basic guitar equipment comes to mind. Things have come full circle with respect to what is the most popular set up for the average guitar player, and that is Guitar>Pedals>Amplifier. Pretty much, exactly the way things were in the 70's when ADA first appeared on the market. While ADA was dabbling in rack effects for studios, their first contribution, dedicated to the guitar player of the day, was the Final Phase pedal. While the present day gear is still laid out as it was in the 70;s, the fidelity and technology of that gear is vastly improved from 40 years ago. While the Final Phase did offer a great phaser effect, it also offered a great sounding overdrive that was much more of a hard rock tone than the Tube Screamer, which was better for blues-styled tones. It was rich and creamy sounding compared to the raspy distortion/fuzz pedals of the day.
      Also, back in the day, recording technology was still much different than it is today. Studios were still using huge mixing desks, tape recorders, and outboard effects to produce record albums, so there was a market for rack effects processors that doesn't exist today. So ADA had plenty of room to experiment with time-based, and modulation-based effects, and a viable market in which to sell them. All of that is gone today. If you have a laptop and a good audio interface, a couple of decent microphones, and a good DAW, you could produce your own album, and never see a high-dollar studio. With the internet providing world-wide access to your music in an instant, you don't have to deal with record labels either, (something they are fighting to take away from us, because they can't control the money or distribution like they once did).
       While all of this was still going on, some of the more intelligent guitar and keyboard players were getting hip to the idea of using these studio processors in a live situation because the quality of their sound was well preserved and more consistent with their recorded sound, and they were not at the mercy of finicky stomp-boxes, which varied in sound quality from one box to the next. Even though the MP-1 was not the first preamp to hit the market, (I used to dabble with an Ashley SC-40 in the early to mid 80's, trying to finesse my guitar tone), it was the preamp which changed the guitar equipment set up as we knew it back then. It was the MP-1 which turned the whole industry on it's ear. It had everything it needed to be a game changer. Up to 128 great sounding amp tones, that you could get to with the step or press of a button, a very deep and lush sounding Chorus effect built-in, with access to Tube and Solid State tones, an easy to use interface, to create your own individual tones and save them, and the incorporation of MIDI technology to access everything in an instant, all in a single RU box, that you could use your studio processors with.
      Rack guitar systems proved to be way over the IQ of the average guitar player, even today, and even as simple as the interface of the MP-1. They just can't seem to comprehend the scrolling parameters of a preamp vs. the twist of a knob to dial in their tone. I believe this still holds true today with the current generation of guitar players, hence, we are back to the 70's format for guitar setups, Guitar>Pedals>Amplifiers. Rack guitar systems have had their day in the limelight, and now, because of the intelligence required to make them sound phenomenal, and rival the current trend in the equipment market, it will require two things;

1), A phenomenal tube preamp, with an equally phenomenal sounding power amp than can rival all of the different gear that's out there now like Fender, Marshall, Boogie, Blackstar, and all the boutique amplifiers included, Matchless, Friedman, Soldano, Egnater, etc., and be able to deliver everything from vintage tweed and plexi tones to the ultra modern super saturated amp tones, and even introduce a few newer tones that don't exist in any of the amps available today. Also, this new preamp/power amp combination would have to have an interface that is so simple to dial in everything, that even the most stoned and drunken moron could do it in just a couple of minutes or less.

2), This might be an even more important point than the one listed above, there would have to be a very popular or even famous guitar player, to actually use this setup and record a commercial hit with this preamp/power amp setup, and endorse it to help promote sales of this new gear. This is what actually drives the market trend more than any fancy advertising available. Think about it.

Now, after stating what I just did, consider what the new be-all/end-all rack mounted preamp would have to be. To incorporate 3-4 tubes in it to reach all the basic guitar tones, would probably be very do-able, but to incorporate all the effects in the unit you guys are talking about, would probably take away the concept of simplified editing and programming. This is because now you are talking about sub menus that would have routing and signal patching chains that you would need to set up your individual tone/effects/output signal paths. This is very reminiscent of the MP-2's editing and programming capabilities. ADA learned the hard way that even though it was so much more programmable than the MP-1, and offered so much more in respect to guitar tones, (which I still believe rivals today's modern amplifiers), it failed only because it was too complex for the average guitar player to wrap his little brain around. That's why ADA's next preamp offering was the MP-1 Classic, (my favorite in terms of pure guitar tone). Even the Fractal AxeFX, which does all of these things, is still a beast to program. Steve Vai and John Petrucci both use these in their live setups, but both admit it's a headache to duplicate their actual rig's tones, and the only reason they use it is to cut down on the amount of gear they take on the road. Also, the Fractal models everything to a reasonable degree which is why it has any popularity at all. ADA's best feature is that all the tones in every preamp they ever made were all analogue signal paths, which requires the tubes to get. This is why we all love the tones we get from our ADA gear, they're real and not modeled. To add all the effects features to this kind of tone, would probably require a 4RU preamp unit, and would it be possible to make it with such a simple interface, that even an idiot could tweak it?

That sounds like a pretty tall order for Dave Tarnowski & Co. Especially when you consider that Todd Langner is no longer with us to add his imagination to the development of such a wonderful machine. I'm sure there are a lot of creative and imaginative folks at ADA today, and I certainly don't mean to imply that they aren't capable, but unless the rack systems come back into vogue for the everyday guitar player, it's going to be one heck of an expensive risk for ADA to repeat their success of 1987.

That's just my two cents.

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

I'd be happy with a new rack MP1.  Why stick it in a pedal?

Particularly for the users of ADA Rack gear.  Alot of us don't rely on pedals anymore as we have moved to.............rack gear?

Sticking an MP1 in a pedal or new version of MP1 is to my mind trying to get pedal people "types" interested in ADA stuff.  No I see why this makes business sense, but it doesn't really interest the older users who like the rack format.

If they made an MP3 with 3-4 tubes I'd be happy.  Give it all the usual stuff, fx loop, eq, bypass,  perhaps build in a few gizmos like a tuner perhaps might be useful but generally leave the fx seperate I think.  Give them an excuse to release an MFX unit then surely??  Also the inclusion of the a good worthwhile speaker sim that is switchable would be awesome for DI stuff.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Hey Gerry,

I agree with everything you are saying here, and you are definitely spot-on about sticking the MP-1 in a pedal to get the attention of the "Pedal -Pushers." Two button, dual voiced pedals seem to be the vogue right now, which in reality is no different than a channel switching amp.
   I also agree with leaving the effects out of the unit as it would make things more complicated to dial in a satisfying tone, plus something like that would jack up the price to an unreasonable amount, (Fractal, and Kemper comes to mind). There is also the issue of a power amp to go with a new rack mounted preamp, since no one is making them anymore other than Carvin, and that TS100 seems like it's targeting the Hi-Fi market more than the musical instruments market. (100 watts of transparent tube amplification).
    As for a good speaker sim, a re-issue of the Microcab II would be a good bet, since it is a great sounding DI box for guitar.

vansinn

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

WRT pedal vs rack device, I have the perfect idea (© van Sinn):
A low-profile manually controlled pedal, featuring a side-mount utility connector.
Into this connector plugs a MIDI controller, which also features more I/O connectors on the rear.

When the two devices are combined, you have a rack device.

The pedal needs to be low profiled to fit into a 1U rack space.
The two devices needs not be half-rack; the pedal can be larger to house the needed electronics, and the controller need not be too big if using a modern touch display to substitute a number of buttons.

WRT to amount of effects, I mostly agree with Harley's notes above; however, the effects listed in my top post were intended to be non-editable down to the socks, and more of the mostly needed types, so these would still be feasible in such a design, and would reside inside the digital controller box.

I'd design this myself if I had the time, but..
@Tarnowsky: While this is by all means my idea, it's yours for usage for a few bucks ;)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

@Harley

when you say no one is making power amps any more?  Is that a broad sweeping statement and you just mean there is not a lot being made these days?  Or do you mean there isn't any being made?

I'm not getting into this whole "tube is better" thing again but there are quite a few power amps to chose from in my opinion these days in the SS bracket at least.  Perhaps there were more back in the day that included tube types?  I dunno but it depends what you want in your power amp, as there are a shit load of power amps out there that are no different from the SS Crown power amps back in the day that many were fond of coupling with rack pre's.

When I say no different, I mean, not built with amplifying guitar in mind although quite affectively did so with an MP1 or something.

But back to my point, so there seems to be a few targeting power amps for guitars, at least a few anyways, Roctron having 3 different models for this purpose.
https://www.thomann.de/gb/power_amplifiers_for_guitar.html

I'd expect more in the future also since these amp modelling/profiling types are getting more popular (still only encountered two AXE FX guy's and one Kemper on my travels which isn't much).

And back to the other point, I can't help feeling if the ADA guy's are showing up here hoping to get us onboard with their new ventures then we must be frustrating the hell out of them since we don't want a pedal.  They probably think we are a bunch of rack dinosaurs  :facepalm:

So I dunno where that leaves us since they aren't going to make a rack unit.

@Harely, yep those amp in a box pedals are definitely are everywhere, they have been the last few years.  No appeal to me.  For god sake, I just got into rack shit a few years ago  :lol:
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

I hear ya Gerry,

You're just getting into the stuff many of us on this Forum have been playing with for the last 30+ years, and I agree there is nothing else like it when your amp system is blowing everybody away including you!
    I still get blown away by the tones I get, but yeah, as far as tube power amps go, there is hardly anyone on this side of the pond that's making them. I've got the two Classic 50/50's hooked up, but haven't really had the time to dig in with them. There's been a lot going on around here the last few days, but I'm on a two week vacation right now, and I don't plan on letting it go by without spending some quality studio time. My plans for my vacation time are simple: Playing a lot of guitar, and Grillin' & Chillin'.

I know that nothing comes close to the rack gear, but around my part of the world, the live music scene is basically dead. SO I'm thinking about something I've been curious about and posted on another topic, and that would be how would the APP-1 sound with the MP-1 Channel in it's effects loop? It would be interesting to me to find out. Who knows? I might like it. Besides, with the state of the live music scene in my area being what it is, I'm not really motivated to take a full-blown rack system to a jam session. I'm not getting any younger.
    A suitcase fly-rig is more appealing in that sense.

Iperfungus

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Mmmmmmmmmh, so many interesting points of view here...

If I recall any configuration my sound passed through in the last 30 years, I see that I mainly experimented many different solutions to find MY sound/tones.
Was I maybe 100% aware of this? No, of course.
I started playing guitar at the age of 12...I had my first electric guitar at 16 (a serious guitar, indeed...the 1998 Strat Plus I still own...), after I removed 6 strings from my amplified 12 strings acoustic to learn "Running free" power chords (my poor fingers...) fron Live after Death vinyl LP and booklet (yes....I was used to look at how and where guitar players put their fingers and Adrian Smith was my personal Guitar Hero).
I then bought a 15 watt solid state small Squier amp and an Arion distortion pedal: at that time, to me it was an awesome sound (I wasn't aware about clean sounds yet...  :lol:)
After some times I started feeling the need of something more and I bought a Fender Deluxe '85 solid state amp.
No stomps at all, just amp clean and distorted sounds and some reverb.
Believe it or not, with that guitar and that amp I played a lot of stuff from classic rock to blackest, brutal and powerful thrash/death metal (seriously) for years.
Then I/we discovered rack units (it was year 1990) and sold the Fender amp for a 8080 Valvestate combo to have a Marshall sound (I used an ART SGE Mach II and then a Zoom 9030 connected to that amp).
I started messing with that stuff as many other friends and we did not have any f**king internet to waste time on and so we were focused on learning, playing and finding good tones by programming those rack tubes preamps and digital effects units.
It was not difficult: it was FUNNY!
Additional MIDI options and noise gates opened our minds to useful new solutions that allowed us to throw stomps and pedals out of the window and forget about tip-tap dancing and uncontrollable noise.
We simply were HAPPY...and we loved to have more and more of that stuff in our racks.
A good rack controlled by MIDI boards, a good 4x12 cab, bridge humbuckers and a Floyd Rose: f*ck the Blues!  :lol:
Guitar heroes, shred and heavy tones everywhere.
I still love Queensryche and their guitar wizardry and tones.

Many years passed...things changed...I sold my rack and cab and bought a Line 6 Flextone II 2x12 combo with a Floorboard.
It looked like perfection....and it was not.
I attempted for a lot of time to get some good tones with some dynamics from that thing...and then I gave up.
I also found that I don't like SIMULATIONS: I prefer to break my head with real stuff.
I sold the amp and bought a Mesa Caliber 50+ combo...a blast of an amp, but you cannot use it alone at home...unless you do not want to try to be arrested.
I discovered that stomp boxes have had some improvements...and I spent the next years buying and selling stomps to find a good combination.

It took a lot of time...until today.
I found a good stomps combination (you can see the stomps I'm currently using somewhere in the Depot), with all the guitar tones I need and like...and I use that stuff when I play with my band, since I can easily bring my guitar sounds/effects/tones on the studio and connect to any amp I find there.
It works.

Then I started messing with racks again...and I've to say you have so many more possibilities that, if I were forced to choose, I would throw stomps out of the window again.
There's a lot of old stuff that still breaks the ass to modern, digital stuff...if you know how to use it.
You've not to make it complicated to find good tones: a good tubes preamp, some basic digital effects, a good power amp and a stereo cab.
And MIDI, of course.

What I discovered, at the end, is that I finally found MY sounds/tone and it doesn't matter if I use the racks or the stomp boxes...it doesn't matter the amp I connect my stuff too...and it doesn't matter the guitar and pickups I use: MY sound is there all the time (something MJMP verified with my MP-1 patches: the EQ shape I use there is the same I use with any preamp, stomp or amp I use...the secret is MIDRANGE...and usage of your EARS...^^).
This is a result that is of utmost importance to me.

I see a lot of people here in Italy buying and selling guitars, stomps, amps...then going from all analog and fuzzy to digital perfection.....buying Axe Fx or Kemper units....then selling everything to go for an amp and stomps again, because it's too difficult....and so on, on an infinite loop.
Having no idea of what they want to achieve at all: it's just a game of buying and selling to spend some time (and lot of money).
Useless.

I do not want to mean that I spend all of my time in consciously researching something, but there's always something that works on that direction anyway.

Having so said, probably Harley is right and the market is made of some pros and many, many, many others that only have some money to spend.
On this market, if you want to sell something, you've to understand what people would buy.
No way.

This is what makes a place like this and the people who makes it alive something still MAGIC.
On the run again!

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

An interesting history of self-discovery Max,

It's a cool epiphany when you discover your tone and it strikes a chord with your inner self, and that inspires you to discover more tones that end up complimenting each other as a whole.
    I've been fortunate enough to find several tones that are a good fit for me that range from clean to gnarly overdrive, to downright nasty distortion. It's all in your head and fingers. Guitars, amps, effects,(albeit racks or stomps), are merely tools to help us achieve what we are searching for. Some of us know what we want, and others are trying out different things until finally, something happens that just strikes that inner chord and makes their spirit sing.
    Everything has it's place, and it doesn't matter if it's in a rack or in a pedal. I have racks that make gearheads green with envy, yet I still own old Fender amps that deliver clean, loud one-dimensional tones. For those old Fenders, I refuse to modify them and have effects loops added to the circuitry, so, for those I'll use stomp boxes. With the technology and the quality of the stomps today, I don't sacrifice anything from the basic clean amp tones, and I simply manipulate it with the stomps that I add to them. The cool thing about that is that if I wanted to, I could just take two Fender Twins and the stomps, and do the whole gig with just that, and it would still sound just as good as the rack systems, because it still sounds like me.
    With the Fenders, it's just simplicity, all physical connections. and the basic chain of effects can vary depending on the set list, and it's something like this:
   Guitar,
   Volume pedal (optional)
   Wah pedal
   Harmonizer (optional)
   Overdrive/Distortion
   Stereo Chorus (where the signal splits the amps)
   Phase or Flange pedal (depending on my mood)
   Delay pedal (at least one, maybe two if I need short and long delay)
   Reverb (already in the amps)

For a more adventurous set up, I place the Chorus after the Wah, and use an Overdrive on one output, and a different Overdrive or Distortion on the other output, then add a Delay to each signal path, for two distinct amp tones, or combined for solo boost.

The racks are similar, just no Overdrive or Distortion needed there, but the effects are basically the same. The major difference here is the speaker characteristics. I'm not into the super-saturated distortion tones because I want to keep the clarity of the guitar intact, so when I'm dialing in any kind of overdrive, I push it to the point where the clarity starts to diminish, then back it off. It lets the guitar sit better in the overall band mix.
   I know there are stacked humbuckers that would eliminate the hum associated with single coil pickups, but so far, nothing DiMarzio or  Duncan has put out has impressed me because the timbre of the quintessential Strat tone is lost with every one of them. (Obviously, Jimi Hendrix had the strongest influence on me).
   Discovering your tone is probably more important than any gear you choose, because once you have your tone, you'll get that out of any gear you end up buying, because your ears will tell you when you have it set right. Whether you choose rack gear, or even a pedal fly rig, you'll still end up going for the tone you want to hear. At least, that's how it is for me.

@ Gerry,
    I grew up playing through tube amps and I can say beyond any doubt that something does get lost with the SS amps. Even though I still like the B200S power amps better than any others that I've tried, there is still something lacking there. They are the cleanest, and quietest of the SS power amps, with the best EQ curve for guitar, and they are definitely my "go-to" SS power amp of choice, but they do not have that tube mojo. I don't really know any other way to describe it.

@Sinn,
    What you described there sounds a lot like the G-System. Any effects added into a preamp would have to have some kind of parameter adjustment. Not everyone wants to hear the same Chorus effect for example, dialed into one setting alone, with only the ability to turn it on or off. At least I wouldn't want it that way, it's too limiting.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

@ Gerry,
    I grew up playing through tube amps and I can say beyond any doubt that something does get lost with the SS amps. Even though I still like the B200S power amps better than any others that I've tried, there is still something lacking there. They are the cleanest, and quietest of the SS power amps, with the best EQ curve for guitar, and they are definitely my "go-to" SS power amp of choice, but they do not have that tube mojo. I don't really know any other way to describe it.

I have the same feeling!!

Iperfungus

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

@ Gerry,

I have the same feeling!!

Well....I could state the same...
I had the B200s for some time and it's an awesome amp...but now, with a full tube power amp, I feel more overall "grit".
On the run again!

Iperfungus

« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Discovering your tone is probably more important than any gear you choose, because once you have your tone, you'll get that out of any gear you end up buying, because your ears will tell you when you have it set right. Whether you choose rack gear, or even a pedal fly rig, you'll still end up going for the tone you want to hear. At least, that's how it is for me.

You've centered the point, Harley.  :thumb-up:

Once, guitar players and gear producers were less concentrated on market and marketing...
Some people had a project and they just attempted to make it real.

MP-1 was born that way.
The rest was just a joy to discover.
On the run again!

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Hey Max,
   The point I expressed was clearly from my own point of view. It may apply to others, and it may not. Everyone is different, but that doesn't mean anyone is right or wrong, just different.

Although I feel I have to mention this as well...as far as gear is concerned, not everything and anything that is available on the market will be able to deliver the tone you might be after. Some gear just simply can't do it. I really don't have to say this, but not all amps are created equal. IF they were, then there would be only one amp, and all of us would be using the same thing. That doesn't sound like fun.

Iperfungus

« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Hey Max,
   The point I expressed was clearly from my own point of view. It may apply to others, and it may not. Everyone is different, but that doesn't mean anyone is right or wrong, just different.

Although I feel I have to mention this as well...as far as gear is concerned, not everything and anything that is available on the market will be able to deliver the tone you might be after. Some gear just simply can't do it. I really don't have to say this, but not all amps are created equal. IF they were, then there would be only one amp, and all of us would be using the same thing. That doesn't sound like fun.

That's right and I agree with you, Harley.
What I wanted to mean, by the way, is that today's market is often lead by a lot of people who's more concentrated on buying and buying gear they actually do not need rather than looking for some concrete results to achieve.
And that's a shame that many gear producers have to follow such ways if they want to sell their products.
This is a great limitations to new ideas and solutions.

It's not a matter of what you use: I use my rack stuff at home and my stomps with the band and I'm always happy with my personal sounds.
I do not prefer a solution rather than the other, they both are good solutions for my purposes.
But I would love new rack products to be developed for people like us, who would learn how to use them and then USE them, rather than digital stuff that can be used to emulate this and that and, at the end, has not the grit of the real things.
On the run again!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up