ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Can we put a name on that number ?  (Read 4616 times)

tomy

• "To loose means trouble, to win pays double"
Can we put a name on that number ?
« on: Time Format »

Hi Everybody !

As a MP1/MB1 user, i'm really tired using 3 digits of the front panel... too much program numbers to remember  !

That's what i appreciate on mp2 ; a short description as title is easier to deal with.

So here is my question ; Is it possible to create an interface with a digital screen and blank 1u rack front panel, plugged it as midi device on mp1/mb1  and having a short description of the program ?

Tomy
« Last Edit: Time Format by tomy »
"As far back as I can remember,  I've always wanted to be a  gangster..."

ARSENAL :
https://fr.audiofanzine.com/membres/885047/products/

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
Re: Can we put a name on that number ?
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

that is genius.

There has to be a simple device out there to do this

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Hey Tomy, I'm sure it's possible.  It would probably need a small computer (maybe a raspberry pie ?) to send and receive the sysex.  The program required would be one of the editors, probably the .net one.  and it would need some tweaking.  Another addition (since you are going for a 1RU space) would be knobs for each parameter.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

So if I understand correctly, you need something that will give you a name (or name and number) on a 2x16 LCD screen (that you just can program in) for each preset you use? And you just plug in your midi cable and go midi out to the MB-/MP-1?

Or does it do more like R says?

tomy

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

hey Rich, well... do i really need to change parameters on the rack itself ? I'm not sure ! as far as I use an editor on computer,when the title is written, I won't change it everyday.

hey MJ, you got it : a title for each program, not more ! Does a bigger than 2x16 lcd screen exist ?

How you, guys, do to remember all of your programs ?   :dunno:

at first, I was at thinking of writting down on a scrapbook, but ...  :???:WTF ! Are we in digital/numeric whatever era ? with bluefi/witooth... usb  blablabla !

or buying 1/2 rack unit like Boss SE50/70 and use it for title ?  but... A whole unit ! A whole effect processor...with power supply... just for name & number ? isn't it too much ?

ARSENAL :

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

at first, I was at thinking of writting down on a scrapbook, but ...  :???:WTF ! Are we in digital/numeric whatever era ? with bluefi/witooth... usb  blablabla !

Actally that's how I do it. I program my ground control pro with my patches, preamp number and effects processor number. The GCP has an LED screen to give the preset a name, and I keep a notebook with all my presets written down as a backup. I also keep a backup on my laptop.
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

vansinn

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Yo Dante, didn't you at some point use one of those slim controller-strips for studio use as an external controller for your MP-2?

EDIT: Arw, dammit, just remember.. MP-1 and MB-1 MIDI implementations likely doesn't allow this..

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Hey Tomy, I just remember the numbers, I used to write them on an A4 bit of cardboard/paper when I used lots of patches with MP1, I just work in banks of 10 patches.  So xx0 is clean, xx1 is alt clean (a bit louder), xx2 is always my main rhythm patch, xx5 has triggered wah, xx 6, 7, 8 & 9 are lead patches getting louder and xx6 used to have a big delay.
But these days I use 3 patches: 110 clean, 112 main rhythm/lead (vol controlled with expression pedal), 113 is my old rhythm patch which is now over the top lead.  I still have 115 with triggered wah.  But then now I use MP2 so I can name them (not that I ever look as I know my number layout...)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

@tomy, biggest one I ever seen was a 4x40

tomy

« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Hi everybody, 

First, Sorry for my lack in english  I guess it doesn't help to understand.

@Soloist, That's how i do too... so another unit is needed with not more than 2X16 lcd  :-\. As i export with Bome sysex, I keep a parameters backup too, but my problem is not about backing up parameters  but more  a sharp eyes glossary of what each program  is about

@Rich I'm organizing that way too : 1 bank= 1 instrument / 0=clean to 9=heavier

But still, I'm abble to lost programs or unable to remind which one was about (most likely experimental ones specially when I don't use it for a while)

@MJ, a 4X40 lcd screen...whoa ! effects processor should have those, just what I want !

I'm just surprise about no constructor built a tool/unit with enough characters to manage 256 programs (more or less) while so much old units only work with  2/3 digit (MB1, mp1, jmp1 ,tech 21, piranha...)

ARSENAL :

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

I use one bank for each guitar, because they all sound so different. That way, I put the same 'type' of patches in the same locations to keep me on track. Like this:

Patch Zero (or 10, 20, 30...)
Clean/Dry

Patch One (or 11, 21, 31...)
Clean/Wet

Patch two (or 12, 22, 32...)
Basic Crunch

Patch Three (13, 23, 33...)
Hi Gain Crunch

Patch Four (14, 24, 34...)
METAL

I have 5-9 available for specific settings (like an auto wah for Man in A Box, or an Octave down for 7 Nation Army's bass parts).

SO, how do I remember which guitar goes with which bank? I put a piece of tape on the back of the guitar's headstock :)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Well I would get an arduino uno or mega, an lcd (size of choice), a few knobs or buttons and a midi board for the arduino and you should be able to make what you need.

tomy

« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Hi everybody,

after a long investigation, here is what i've found :

-I own 28 guitars/basses/uprightbass

-I also own 5 ADA preamp, each  can handle 256 program + 4 others preamps with several hundred programs

-3 effects processor...

-My MC1 can handle "only" 128 presets... etc !

My problem is not about screen, or digit, or whatever.... My problem come from ME ! I am just an a**hole unable to manage his own gear, not more !

Conclusion : "Isn't it a normal way for an a**hole to deal with GAS ?"   (... a**hole...gas... Sure, you get the idea ! :facepalm:)

Shame :waving-banana-smiley-emoticon

Tomy
« Last Edit: Time Format by tomy »

ARSENAL :

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Hey Tomy,  I don't think you are an asshole  :wave: , do you have too much stuff  :dunno: , can one ever have too much stuff ??.  I agree it becomes hard to handle in some ways.  Maybe make a spread sheet with all the patches you care about so you can remember them.  I have patches in some of my M2s I was trying out and have forgotten, so now I've no idea whats in them, but then I really only use 2 MP2s, one in studio rack and one in live rack, and then only 3 basic sounds.  I use the same Fx on all the patches (mild stereo delay and some reverb). Bt then I'm happy with my sound(s) and not in an experimental phase (although sometimes I think I should play around a bit more, but it takes allot of time to fiddle/tweak and also should be done at stage volume (not so easy)).Part of the reason I've ended up with quite a bit of stuff is to have spares (as ADA gear is quite old now), and partly because I've become a bit of a collector, but from time to time I bemoan that some gear isn't being used.  Eg, I haven't used my 73 Marshall for many years, even after recently having it serviced it still just sits there, should I sell it ?? mmm no, can't quite come at that LoL

tomy

« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Sorry ! I 'm just frustrated to work on presets and being unable to find it back  >:( it's  wasted time :facepalm:

I must find  another classification system, more accurate  than the one I use, So let's "re"start with a spreadsheet .

I definitely think a bigger screen would help...  Maybe an idea to work on

Is there anybody else interested ?

ARSENAL :
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up