ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: ADA MP-2 Firmware v 1.41  (Read 1064 times)

Gregg

ADA MP-2 Firmware v 1.41
« on: Time Format »

Thanks to Dante I was able to grab images of the firmware and can make copies of the latest firmware.  Below are the firmware files for use with a EPROM programmer.

Gregg

Firmware image files for 27C256 EPROMs

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: ADA MP-2 Firmware v 1.41
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Thanks Gregg, very much appreciated  :thumb-up:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Yes, Thanks very much Gregg!

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

UPDATE: I received my eprom from Gregg today - put it back in the MP-2 and it appears to be working perfectly. I also have a backup eprom, should I need one. Thanks Gregg!

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Hells Bells, I want to buy a couple of those, at least so I can see if it makes any difference in my MP-2s
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

Gregg

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

FWIW, my brother reports that changes are significantly faster with v1.41

Gregg

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Hey Gregg, that was the main change (that I remember), they fixed the patch change speed and added a normal/fast selection to the global menu (although it defaults to normal until you change it the first time).  But I just read the old EPROM Update Instructions https://adadepot.com/index.php?topic=148.75.  They talk about v1.23 to v1.32, maybe that's when this was added?  and why Harley said he didn't have any issue with the change speed at v1.33. 

Anyway all good it seems  :thumb-up: . If your brother would like to register here so he can post/ask questions?? get him to email me or use need help button.  I've attached the pdf I made of the MP-2 factory presets for you to send to him in case he finds it useful.  The list is sorted by voice instead of patch number (made more sense to me to do the sort and colour coding).  As far as I know,  it's the only listing as they weren't included in the MP-2 manual (hence I made my own).

Gregg

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Hey Gregg, that was the main change (that I remember), they fixed the patch change speed and added a normal/fast selection to the global menu (although it defaults to normal until you change it the first time).  But I just read the old EPROM Update Instructions https://adadepot.com/index.php?topic=148.75.  They talk about v1.23 to v1.32, maybe that's when this was added?  and why Harley said he didn't have any issue with the change speed at v1.33. 

Anyway all good it seems  :thumb-up: . If your brother would like to register here so he can post/ask questions?? get him to email me or use need help button.  I've attached the pdf I made of the MP-2 factory presets for you to send to him in case he finds it useful.  The list is sorted by voice instead of patch number (made more sense to me to do the sort and colour coding).  As far as I know,  it's the only listing as they weren't included in the MP-2 manual (hence I made my own).

Checking the pictures of my brother's amps before I touched them.  They all started out on v1.33.  So he is noting a speed improvement going from v1.33 to v1.41.  Not sure how we true this up.

My brother is monitoring the forum at this point, but very busy with family, kids, etc.  So he hasn't registered yet.

Gregg

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

One way to check is to navigate to the program change speed in the system edit menu: Select system edit (midi func menu is displayed) < memory protect < restore system defaults < program change speed (v or ^ toggles normal or fast). 

@Harley, can you check this on your1.33 please and let us know if that version had the option. 

What I do know, is my original unit was very slow and didn't have the option.  Very soon after I bought it I was given a new EPROM which had the option (as I wasn't the only one complaining about it).  And now I've read the EPROM update instructions (the other day) and they talk about v1.23  to 1.32, so I'm not sure if I went to 1.41 years later when I found the depot and MJMP had the 1.41 EPROMs and the option was available in previous updates.  The default setting for program change speed is Normal so if you (or your brother) didn't change this setting, it would indicate the speed of Normal was improved with later versions (given your brother reports the improvement). 

The other take away from reading the update instructions was to Reset System Defaults (to prevent garbage screens in real time midi edit).  The instructions refer to Reset System Defaults, in 1.41 the option is Restore System Defaults not reset (and I don't recall ever doing this, but maybe I did, I would have followed the instructions). 

It would be nice to know the EPROM version history and what changed with each release. 

The 2 things I always check (and change if needed) when I've acquired additional MP-2s is the program change speed (to fast) and I activate the Stereo Volume Control (to use a MXC expression pedal). 

@Harley, you said you didn't like the Stereo Vol Control, maybe it improved with 1.41? because it works really well for me.  I didn't use it initially, I started using it much later.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Hey Richard,
   Version 1.33 does not have the Program Change Speed option in it.

As for the stereo volume control, it functions as it should, I'm sure of that. What I don't like about it is that it alters the audio quality of the signal. There is a significant difference in the level as well as the upper end of the EQ curve. I notice the level drops by 5-6 db, and the high end sounds like I threw a light blanket over the speaker cab. I should also add that I've only done this with a live rig setup. Maybe this doesn't happen going direct, I don't know. I always sound test my gear for a live situation first. That's how I know if it's going to suit my needs. After all, it IS a guitar amplifier first, and my ears will tell me if it does the job. I seem to listen for artifacts that most guitar players don't.

I guess I'm a little weird that way :crazy:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Hey Harley, I don't think you are weird for listening so acutely, I think it's extremely helpful  :thumb-up: .  Thanks for checking the setting.  That makes it certain that my first EPROM change (way back when I first bought my MP-2 new) was to a later firmware version that included the setting.  For me, I find the Fast setting normal and the Normal setting really sluggish. 

I started using the Stereo Vol Control when I was playing with a bunch of friends and was just using 3 or 4 patches.  The song list varied allot (and lots of jams) so I used the RTM vol pedal to adjust for solos rather that making lots of separate patches with the master vol set for the particular song (as I had to do with MP-1 and had continued to do when I moved to MP-2).  So most of my experience with using it is live.  When I record I don't usually use the midi pedal at all as I'm not changing patches (although I can use it if I need to).  I find the St Vol Cntrl works great,  it just changes the volume with no affect on the tone, same as turning the main output up/down.  If it changed the tone like it does for you, I wouldn't use it.  So maybe it was improved in 1.41? 

It's also then easy to mute (which I know you can do with the quad switch but I rarely use the quad switch) between songs etc. and also turn down when you are working out a part.  And it's also really nice for volume swells.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Hey Richard,

Like I said earlier in many of my posts, I never had an issue with the program change speed. You guys already know I've used the MP-2 for a lot of gigs and it always worked flawlessly. Of course, I use it with the MXC, Quad and CC pedal, in a small 6U rack with a couple of split stacks.
   That seems to be a thing of the past these days with so many clubs not wanting amplifiers on their stages anymore.
I don't know if the volume pedal function is going to change with the 1.41 chip yet, as I haven't swapped it out with the MP-2 in the portable rack yet. I've been looking at the other MP-2 that came out of the refrigerator sized rack, that I'm not using at the moment. They're both identical though, so if it makes a difference in one it will the other too. What I'm looking at when I do swap it will be the chatter of the noise gate. They both do it to a certain extent in specific situations.
    I would use the Quad switch in a recording situation for cutting in and out the loop and or internal chorus effect, especially if I'm double-tracking. I just have to repeat the performance exactly as I did it the first time.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Hey Harley, did you do the noise gate chatter fix ? Basically replacing R611.  The 1.41 upgrade has no affect on the noise gate chatter issue.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Hey Richard,

No, I haven't done that either. As I said, it only does it in certain circumstances. I'll have to go look at that fix and see what it's all about.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Hey Harley, the fix will fix your chatter issue, as that's what it was for.  Pretty straight forward, replace 10 Megohm R611 with 3 Megohm resistor.  All done.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up