ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: MP2 Wah issues.  (Read 16901 times)

kawai2g4b

MP2 Wah issues.
« on: Time Format »

Hey, I'm a recent convert to ADA equipment.  I purchased an MP2 about a month ago off Ebay and upon firing it up, I noticed that the wah, when activated,  does not sweep.  In every setting, be it with the pedal or on the auto wah setting, I get a fixed wah tone when engaged.  I even programmed the pedal to trigger the wah effect on at different points in its sweep.  Before the triggering point, I get the normal signal.  When past the point, I get the fixed wah.  Is there anybody in here with any experience with such or problem or has the knowhow to how to approach a repair.  I do have a local repair tech with experience on ADA racks but some extra guidance would do me well.
 :dunno:

Thanks in advance!
Pearce G2R with ADA TFX4 in loop.
ADA MB-1/B500B
And other non ADA stuff.

Kawai AQ-500 guitar, Korean Fender Lite Ash Strat, Electra X930 MPC modded, G&L L2K basses, Peavey T40, Fernandes basses.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: MP2 Wah issues.
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Marshall JMP may be able to help with tech aspect, I've always used my wah on triggered so it activates on each pluck.  I only got one pedal (and the quad switch) with my MXC which I assign to Master Vol. so I've never used it as a "normal" wah as such.  You could restore factory defaults just to make sure it's not some issue with pedal assignments or other wah settings.  I'll have a fiddle with mine and see if I can discover anything else that may help.
Cheers Richard
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

kawai2g4b

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Yeah  rnolan, I am running the same setup you have...through the MXC, Continuous Controller, and pedal, though I have two of them to run volume and wah.  I reprogrammed the wah from pedal, to triggered and every which way possible (even when triggered halfway up the pedal) but the filter stays in the same position...its like it goes to instant Clapton woman tone, but in a bad way.  Im glad the programming works as it should, but this is the only glitch in the entire preamp, and it might just be a loose connection (i'm a bit electronically challenged).  It came like this when I unpacked it from an ebay purchase.  Is seems as though I got fleeced for $250 plus potential repair costs but the guy incuded all the pedal gear along with it so maybe not so much.  I'll try to get a hold of Marshall JMP for his opinion.  Also, there is a rack mod tech at this link in Houston, near where I am, that I will go to for repair/modding:

http://www.thetonedoctor.com/default.html
http://www.thetonedoctor.com/Price-List-Shop-Online.html

BTW, anybody in the forums familiar with this guy?
ADA MB-1/B500B
And other non ADA stuff.

Kawai AQ-500 guitar, Korean Fender Lite Ash Strat, Electra X930 MPC modded, G&L L2K basses, Peavey T40, Fernandes basses.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Well i have read your post but i must say i never encounterd such a problem with the mp-2.But what you could try is setting trimpot TR202 to a different position (but remember the original setting in case this doesn't help).This trimpot is part of the sweep circuit,so try it out.
Another thing could be U216,this is a vactrol (light depended potentiometer) and thirt option the opamps U205 and U207 (OPA2604AP),these get very hot and sometimes they fail (a known issue in mp-2's).These are easy to replace because they are in a ic socket.

So try these out,if it doesn't help we need to do some measurements.But that's for later.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

$250 with all the pedals is a good deal I recon (not that I'm checking MP2 prices that often). I paid $700 AUD for an MP2 for a friend.  That included shipping (Hong Kong to Australia) but with one pedal and one quad switch.  I also bought another MP2 from him for my studio as he said it was a bit intermittent and crashed sometimes, that cost $200 AUD with no pedals but included a Midiverb 4.  I think I paid AUD $2500 ish for my first (new) MP2 when it first came to Australia.
While (if) you pull the lid off you should check the EPROM version and if it's not the last one made (v1.41) buy the upgraded EPROM from MJMP (http://www.marshalljmpmodshop.net/miscellaneous_parts_and_replacement_tubes.htm), it's easy to fit.  Main improvement that I noticed with it was faster program changes.  Your tech will probably need the schematics which you also can get from MJMP's site.  I have the basic one that was available on the old depot.  If you PM me your email address I'll send you what I have.  Do you have the MP2 user manual ?  That "may" shed some light on the wah issue ?
Cheers Richard

kawai2g4b

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Once again MashallJMP, thank you for the input.  I'm not the best with a soldering iron, much less with a pcb,  but I'm going to relay that information to the local rack equipment tech when I take it there soon.  Just like the Mb-1, I will keep you updated as soon as it gets out of the shop.   O0
ADA MB-1/B500B
And other non ADA stuff.

kawai2g4b

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Damn, rnolan, please forgive me on the "fleeced" quote.   :facepalm:
ADA MB-1/B500B
And other non ADA stuff.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Not that forgiveness was required, but forgiven  :thumb-up:.  I suspect the more you use the MP2 the more you'll like it.  IMHO it's the best guitar preamp ever made.  My live rig MP2 has been solid for more that 25 years of gigging and is still going strong.  The display is starting to fade (as are my eyes :-) ) a bit so I may replace it sometime.  The only issue I've ever had with it is it's not fond of generators, makes it crash.  As we rehearse in the bush with a genny, I bought a 1KVA UPS to isolate my rig from the genny's ups and downs.

kawai2g4b

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

I'll say. that's cool that you can go out into the back country with a generator to practice.  Over here, the only way to practice at full blast is to know someone with a barn on their property, and that is tough to find in the city.  I finally got a power conditioner the other day, so the variances shouldn't be a concern for me any more.
ADA MB-1/B500B
And other non ADA stuff.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Yeah, we're lucky.  One of the guys I jam with built a nice (fairly rustic) place in the bush, not to far off the main road.  He's been living there for years.  So good not to have to worry about volume and not be in some dark windowless room that you have to pay to use.
Any luck with the user guide ?  Hopefully it helps.  You can do quite a bit with the MP2.  I notice Dante has put both the MP1 and MP2 guides up as a download.  And I believe there are efforts afoot to recreate some of the old Depot pages where you could check out the different ADA products from over the years.  Also a few of the old crew are coming back to join this new forum so it should continue to get better.
Cheers R

kawai2g4b

« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Well, I seemed to have solved the wah issue temporarily...by stumbling upon another MP-2 in a tiny local pawn shop...for just $100!  That said, I'm going to fix the other one in a couple months and I may look to mod that one to go along with the needed repairs on it.  That way I can see what a modded MP-2 would sound like.

Sooo...

:banana-trip: :banana-upsidedown: :thumb-up:
ADA MB-1/B500B
And other non ADA stuff.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

You doing well with the purchases, $100 is a steal lucky the pawn shop doesn't know what it really is  :thumb-up:   I need to get another pedal so I can assign it to the wah, I wanted 2 but the MXC pedal pack only had one in Australia when I bought it.

kawai2g4b

« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

I wish it were them not knowing what it was, because I got it half cost.  This pawn shop is about 1/4 the size of a normal US pawn shop floor space so I figure that he was just trying to unleash it for quick cash.  Then after firing it up and thorough testing and I found out the compressor is shot...not that I use compression very much.  There is one component rattling around inside so I will investigate it.  That being said, the wah works very well with this one so this MP-2 will be getting use in the near future.

I have been doing well with purchases, but damn if there hasn't one bug in everything that I have bought lately.   :-\
At least it is more than usable, especially after i dial out the compressor out of all the presets and go to town on the rest.

Oh, and I took my other MP-2 with the B200S out for a jam a couple days ago and it comfirmed what you said:  MP-2 and B200S are a great match.  So thanks for the advice!
ADA MB-1/B500B
And other non ADA stuff.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

No worries, bummer about the compressor, I don't use mine much either, I do use it for my clean patch though.

kawai2g4b

« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

I can finally see what you guys are saying about the MP-2, really is a nice preamp with the requisite time involved dialing it in.  The original one that I bought definitely sounds a little different and not in the best way, probably needs new tubes and cleaning...and the wah and display fix.

Compressor be damned, this thing sounds great anyway.
ADA MB-1/B500B
And other non ADA stuff.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up