ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Don't want to blow my shit up  (Read 3909 times)

nomorepeople

Don't want to blow my shit up
« on: Time Format »

I have an MP-2 and anytime I run it, I also have my power amp on and going thru my 2x12.  Problem:  My 2x12 is at my bassist's place and I need to record some music at home.  Let me know if my MP-2 is safe if I only run it out my XLR into my Mackie mixer.  I ask because I hear if you don't run an amp into a speaker, you're f*cked, BUT because it's just a preamp and if I make sure to turn my power amp off so I can run the rest of my rack (MP-2 + GMajor 2) Xlr'd into my mixer, will everything be okay?  Any input will make my Friday a lot better, whatever the answer.  Thank you.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: Don't want to blow my shit up
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

No problem running it only with XLR outputs.The only thing you can't do is if you have power tube amp and you run it without any load on it.So go ahead and have fun!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Hey nomorepeole (I like that BTW..). don't fret, what you want to do is "exactly" what they made it to do  :thumb-up: . Yes tube poweramps should "normally" have a load (a speaker or resistor or a load). the MP2 is, as you say a preamp. It doesn't need a "load" in this context. The cab sim outs (XLR or 1/4" jack) can be plugged directly into your desk (if XLR (which is good balanced, low noise) or 1/4" jack > channel line in, both will work fine. If you use XLR (which is my preference), then you need to adjust mixer input gain (selectable on cab sim outs, use mic not line lv for XLRs). If you take the 2 1/4" jacks to 2 line ins, then select line lv on the ADA (which is the way I plug in my MP2 every Friday night.... MP2 > Behringer Eurorack > Behringer Truths... and TC MoneXL on the stereo FX send/return).
Turn off your power amp, in this context you don't need it. Take either the XLR or 1/4" cab sim outs to your desk (2 channels, pan them hard L R), adjust ADA cab sim out for correct gain (mic or line, depends what you went for, (BTW 1/4" jack are the easy way then plug into and select line in). Then connect your GMaj to 2 FX sends (1 & 2) and return it down 2 more channels (panned hard left right), heaven on a stick  :wave:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

nomorepeople

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Good looking out, guys.  Today is my day off so I'm gonna have fun with some direct recording.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

The MP2 cab sims have 2 cabinet options, 2 x 12 and 4 x 12. I've found the 2 x 12 sounds better but try both to hear what suits you.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few
Pages: [1]   Go Up