Other ADA Gear > ADA Cabinet Simulaters

Micro cab2 with power amp

(1/3) > >>

Metropolis:
Just got a Microcab 2...love what it does for the tone of my MP1.   My question is how and why would I use it with my MosValve 962 for direct recording into a stand alone multitrack recorder.   Thanks for any info

rnolan:
So you wouldn't use the Mosvalve for direct recording, not required or needed. Some why nots read on...
I'm not a microcab expert so others please correct me, "generally" cab sims are used between the preamp and the direct in, no poweramp involved. Particularly with ADA MP1/2 which are designed to make the entire tone and then just have it amplified (in stereo) by a transparent clean power amp (no added colour/tone, just volume).
So cab sims (eg microcab) are designed to emulate the sound of micing the guitar speakers so provide for different mics/positions/angles and different guitar speaker/cabs and turning it into a line level signal suitable to plug in direct.
Some cab sims are capable of taking the poweramp output (should you want to add particular power amp colour as well) eg ADA GCS3 has -30db input for this but it doesn't provide the speaker load the amp wants/needs so typically you'd plug the cab in as well (to provide the load) but take your direct feed from the GCS3 out.
Upside of microcab IIRC is it's stereo  :whoohoo!: and very well appointed for different cab/mic combinations. There's other threads here about it and how you can mod it into various forms of persuasion.

Systematic Chaos:
If you wanna wire the whole rig for max use in terms of flexibility (live/gigging/recording) and your desired JP ballpark tones I´d suggest:
MP-1 (with graph/param EQ in Loop...lets you use the Loop for the EQ only, e.g. no additional eq on clean patches needed) > Intellifex (Hush is 1st in line in the Intellifex, so it quiets all noise down before the FX) > µCabII > MosValve > Speaker

All wired nicely in a Rack with an additional Power Conditioner and maybe a Rack-Tuner.
Keep your patch/signal cables as high quality and as short as possible.
Also mind: Let the power supply cables run on one side of the rack, all signal cables on the opposite.

rnolan:
And with what SC suggests you take direct > record inputs from microcab (and for direct only (recording) don't need mosvalve or cab (for that) but is patched already.. so easy to do either (which I think is what SC's getting at ?)).  :whoohoo!: making life easier...

Metropolis:
Thats exactly how I have it connected and it sounds absolutely fantastic.   I seem to have resolved my squealing issue.   I just dailed in several nice patches on both the MP1 and the Intellifex.   The Hush is working well.  I just have to figure out how to set my levels on both units.   I suppose I should crank the MP1 output knob until the Intellifex red light barely lights and then crank the Intellifex output until the Microcab clip indicator barely lights.  Then crank the Microcab output to a reasonable level going into the MosValve.   Does the Master gain on the MP1 act as a patch volume or does it add distortion as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version