ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: My new rig includes an ADA MP1 and I need your help  (Read 22132 times)

Panagiotisrx7

• musicteachers

Good day my friends.

So here's my rig:

Guitar --> ADA MP1 --> TC Electronic G Force --> Mesa Boogie 20/20 --> Palmer PGA04 --> Lexicon Omega soundcard --> KRK Rokit 5 active studio monitors

Following the above:

1) How do I know if I have an "original" or a "classic"?
2) How should I go connection wise?
    a) ADA's Output A & Output B to G Force's inputs and from G Force's outputs to Boogie's inputs, or
    b) ADA's FX Loop send to G Force's left input and out of G Force's left output to ADA's return input and from ADA's Output A & Output B to Boogie's inputs?

What do you think is the "best"?

Also can you advise any online stores with ADA parts just in case?

Thank you!!!

RandallRG

Hey Dude as far as what unit you have it will say "Classic" on the front if it only says MP-1 well then you know what you have! As far as a "Online" store for parts etc Marshall is about the ONLY one that has any parts for the MP-1 (He is the MP-1 "Guru" around here)  :thumb-up: & as far as hooking it all up the correct & BEST way....I am sure Marshall or Rich will be on & help you out. Take it easy & Best of luck Dude! \m/  :metal:

Panagiotisrx7

• musicteachers

Thank you my friend.

Seems I have the original one.

I also saw Marshall's website and I am sure I will need to consume a bit of his time concerning what I'm thinking of doing and it what I'm thinking is possible, but will do so when I figure out the "right" way of hooking this up.

To tell you the truth I tried both ways I wrote above... with b) it seemed strange to me how the front output level and the back loop level interacted with G Force; resulting in me constuntly tweeking to find a sweet spot that would allow the units not to clip. Besides that, there was some noise overall and sounded that something was not quite right...

With a) things were quite noise wise and better overall, but I am still asking in case I'm missing something and should review things in a different way.

More questions will follow :-)

Thanks again!!!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

I would go the "A" route,else you will loose the stereo effect of the G force.My setup is the same (mp-1,G-force).And like you say the mp-1 effectloop is a tricky thing,i never use it.It seems some like it,some don't.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

I agree  with MJMP, given the MP1 loop is serial it makes no sense to use it as the signal will be A/D converted regardless so go with the stereo approach and get the full potential of the G Force.  There's a slightly better way but it involves using a small stereo mixer that has at least 4 line inputs and 2 effect (Aux) sends.  This way you can preserve the analogue signal from the MP1 and mix in the G Force signal which has been A/D and then D/A converted.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Panagiotisrx7

• musicteachers

Seems I'll keep the a) scenario.

Concerning stereo effects, I wouldn't be able to use them either way since the Palmer unit is mono :-( (Palmer does offer stereo solutions but would exceed my budget...)

I'll come back with a few more questions within day.

Thanks!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

Well you could place the G force after the palmer to use it as a stereo effect.

Panagiotisrx7

• musicteachers

Well, I placed the Palmer last in line, since it simulates speakers and mic.
Placing the G Force after it, will the G Force send a "proper" signal to my sound card or will it sound "bad"?

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

Normally you should have the same sound IMHO.

Panagiotisrx7

• musicteachers

I'll give it a try and see how it works out.

Thanks!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

Ok keep us updated.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

When I want to record or just play at home through the studio monitors I swap my MP2 outs (which feed 2 channels in my small mixer) to the cab emulated outs, my Quadverb then gets the cab emulated signal (from Aux 1 and Aux 2 of the mixer) and back into 2 mixer channels (and careful not to send these 2 to Aux 1 or 2 (feedback loop)).  The mixer then feeds 2 channels of my studio setup to record/monitor.  Sounds great so (as MJMP suggests) Palmer before G Force should be fine. You could also try the Palmer in the MP1 loop as long as you can get the levels right (ie it shouldn't be adding or taking away gain), this way you get the MP1 stereo chorus etc.
The cab/mic simulation is basically an EQ curve (no doubt with some other tweaks) to emulate the sound of guitar speakers (less tops as no tweeter).  Effect units will process (effect) the modified sound and will send a "proper" signal to your sound card.  Without the Palmer, the sound to the sound card will still work fine but will be very toppy through your monitors (as they have a tweeter).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Panagiotisrx7

• musicteachers

So...ADA is the winner!
ENGL E570 is now on sale.
Once it goes I will further experiment with ADA and see how I finalize the set up.
I see that some of you like and some don't the BBE maximizers.
I am thinking of adding one to my rig...
I am also thinking of replacing the Palmer PGA04 with the Torpedo Live but the above is just me thinking loud, not sure what will I do.
Feel free to elaborate of course.

kawai2g4b

For me, the BBE Maximizer and the like stay with my bass rigs and not my MP-1.  It's all to taste really.
Pearce G2R with ADA TFX4 in loop.
ADA MB-1/B500B
And other non ADA stuff.

Kawai AQ-500 guitar, Korean Fender Lite Ash Strat, Electra X930 MPC modded, G&L L2K basses, Peavey T40, Fernandes basses.

brianiac5150

• This Hate of Mine

I am also thinking of replacing the Palmer PGA04 with the Torpedo Live...

Unless you want the TNTL for the loadbox capability with other amplifiers, the Torpedo CAB will be perfect and save you some cash - unless you do like I'm really wanting to do and get two CAB's for running stereo (AWESOME).  Of course, the MIDI CAB changing of two units I've not yet worked through, but it works great with one.

Trust me: adding a Two Notes product to your setup is one of the best things you can do.

BTW...I'm running a BBE 482i with mine and really like it.
THoM Faceb**k
ADA MP-1 Original
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up