ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Les Paul from Jimmy Page Guitar Shop  (Read 19488 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Les Paul from Jimmy Page Guitar Shop
« on: Time Format »

Played an amazing Les Paul this week apparently from Jimmy Page's guitar shop. So allegedly modded to exactly how he had his guitars done. I didn't plug it in so no idea about the PUs, but the neck was fantastic, none of those Gibson big shoulders that I don't like so more v shaped neck (my preference), really nice to play but $9k AUD 2nd hand.... drool
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Les Paul from Jimmy Page Guitar Shop
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

So xmas for me has come early, I bought it today, just finished setting it up with some new strings, finger board took a big drink, don't think it's been oiled in a while, and neck relief almost a full turn, only bottom E intonation out a bit and I lowered the action.  :whoohoo!: Only a bit over 800 of these made apparently. Phone photos are a bit crap, I'll take some better ones.

« Last Edit: Time Format by rnolan »

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Well Merry Christmas to you!! That is one sharp looking Axe! :thumb-up: Which pups are in it?
 Ahh I can almost hear the John Sykes riffs oozing from it......... Enjoy it, she sure is a beauty.
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Good question, I don't know what the PUs are yet, whatever Page used allegedly. The neck PU looks like my Gibson 57 re-issues which are in my SG. It's certainly not a new shiny chrome model as is tarnishing  (like the 57s), The bridge is 2 black coils with no cover. But I'll do some googling. Strange, I went to the shop just to get my free pack of DR strings (I buy them in box of 10, one in ten have the free set thing), but I'd been dreaming about the JPP since I played it. It was consignment from a guy who's collected allot of the really special guitars. Apparently he has cancer so is selling them, which helped me decide to buy it, also he dropped the price, though still allot of $$$s

Peter H. Boer

• 2* MB-1 1*MP-1 + Jur's old Mod4Mk2
    • The Granny Attic
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Where is a drool smiley when you need one  ;D

Nice axe  :thumb-up:
Nothing beats MB-1s and MP-1s with MDRTs

http://www.thegrannyattic.com
http://www.Illumion.net
http://www.sote.nl

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Hey Peter, absolutely, this thing is amazing. It's hardly been played so I'm breaking it in, just played it for a few (3 ish) hours, and it's starting to loosen (become mine  >:D ), got to sus the PUs and wirering, when I select middle position, it's very toppy like a humbucker  coils in parallel, not like normal Gibsons. Neck to die for though lovely to play, I put 10 - 46 on it, a bit light for shorter scale length of LP, but I thought I'd start there, I suspect I'll need to throw 10 - 52's on it, but we are just becoming friends  :wave: In some ways it feels a bit tight (if that makes sense?), I spose new ?, it's getting better though. I need to play it at a jam (and really take it appart  >:D ). Also it's going to need it's own patches, the PUs are very different from the Ultrasonics in my Anderson. Beautiful looking guitar, but you don't see that when your playing, suddenly it's all feel. Thinking of losing the scratch plate BTW.
First comment on play-ability, its lovely in the open position, very fast, very comfortable, nice in the middle, still cooking around 12th fret, hard to get high B blues box cooking so far (but I spose in someways, that's just Les Pauls)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Wow that looks like a killer axe,gonna ask one for my x-mas as well but i doubt i will get it. ;D

MikeB

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Well.  Very exciting day.  Richard brought his new guitar around to meet my Mistress.  :wave: Here is a photo of the two side by side.  Richard's Jimmy Page custom awesome thingy is on the left, my Les Paul classic (The Mistress) on the right.  They look so sweet together, don't they?. :whoohoo!:
This was my favourite shot.  I think Richard prefers a different one that really highlights the stripey maple.  This one sets off the Mistress best.
I don't feel tardy!

gtmm

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Congrats, rnolan.  :thumb-up: It's hard to beat a good Gibson neck, IMO.

There's actually been quite a few for sale in OZ of late. Break it in, and it will reward you.

Good job!!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

I played it for 3 hours ish last night/morning non stop, when the sun came up I decided bed was a good idea LOL. Mikes MP1 is dialed up for his LP so it sounded great there today, and had definitely started to be mine  >:D . We also noticed some interesting differences in the guitars, Mikes LP seems to have less neck angle, mine seems to be the typical LP 7 degrees, the bridge PU surround in mine is like twice as high as Mikes Classic.  Also I've got to sus the wiring, apart from the pull up switch (bridge tone pot) which sounds like and I assume for now is series/parallel for the bridge PU, when you combine neck and bridge you get a very distinctive Page sound (not just normal Gibson join 2 pick UPs) and if you turn off either PU vol control with both PUs selected, turns all signal off (again not typical Gibson wiring). Anyway I'll pull the back plate off and have a look, all will be revealed (though may have to take PU selector plate off as well).
Next make some LP patches in the MP2  >:D .

(There's actually been quite a few for sale in OZ of late) what kind of prices ?

gtmm

« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

From AU $8,800 for a 2012 '59 reissue (R9) Yamano source, to AU $24,000 for a 1953 Custom  :o!!!

Both way to rich for me. There were two others I saw recently, but I can't find them again (meds are messing with me), but I think one was a '71 Goldtop with full size PUs for AU $3,200, and the other, if I remember right, was '73 Custom for around AU $5,000.

All out of my league. It's great you got a nice LP.  :thumb-up: I've got a '72 goldtop that I bought in 1981, originally a special order from Sam Ash in New York with full size humbuckers. When you find a LP that fits your hands, they are hard guitars to beat.

Enjoy it!!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

My understanding is this is a replica of the 59 that Joe Walsh gave Page (adopted as his  #1), the neck is shaved (mmm) and all the specs are Pages, PUs etc, made in 2006 according to the doco/certificate it came with. Took a bit of playing to bring it to life but is cooking now  >:D . First guitar I've bought to come near my Anderson although, it's a super strat, so quite a different beast  :whoohoo!: .
Your gold top sounds great, I always had a soft spot for gold tops, and I'd want full size humbuckers.
I've always wanted a LP, it just it had to find me  :metal: .... Next to buy it it's own strap, forgot to get one before I left the store on Saturday  :facepalm: or maybe it can inherent my oldest strap, thick leather I bought when I was 18 (37 years ago LOL), cost $20 AUD back then, they said it would last a lifetime and after a gazillion gigs still good as new.
« Last Edit: Time Format by rnolan »

El Chiguete

« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Next to buy it it's own strap, forgot to get one before I left the store on Saturday  :facepalm:

Ohh yeha I get that! It has happend to me too that I could have left the store without my pants just thinking of the gear I'm buying! jeje
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Absolutely El, man I was just 5 mins from the store doh.  :facepalm: .. But I'm just about to try it with my oldest strap (which is now as long as it goes), interestingly, although it's heaps heavier than the Basswood Anderson, it doesn't fell unconformable.

gtmm

« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

rnolan,

Sorry for the confusion caused by my misleading statement, "There's actually been quite a few for sale in OZ of late." By this I meant unusual LPs in general, not specifically the Page replicas. Sorry about that.

That's cool you got one, the #2 reps. are supposed to be very nice, and from your pics and description it looks and sounds like you got a good one. :amaze:

I mentioned the '53 Custom cause I was just talking unusual LP's in general that have come up for sale in Australia. This one is unusual as the Custom wasn't released until '54. The owner states that it was a prototype built in '53, hence no serial #.

He might be right.

Anyway, here is that link, just offered for curiosity:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1953-Gibson-Les-Paul-Custom-/221629723704?

I mentioned the 2012 R9 (Yamano) because "made for Yamano" LPs aren't real common in my neck of the woods, but probably are more common in Australia, though the seller claims they are rare in Australia; I have no idea.  (Yamano is a large Japanese reseller, and Gibson only sends pretty much flawless builds to them, or so it is said!!). Here's the link for curiosity's sake:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2012-GIBSON-CUSTOM-SHOP-LES-PAUL-HISTORIC-59-R9-SUN-TEA-BURST-YAMANO-/261695182913?pt=AU_Musical_Instruments_Instruments&hash=item3cee3f9841

Enjoy your new axe, it looks great!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up