ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Mounting Guitars on the Wall to save room  (Read 9913 times)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook

Ok so I have too many guitars, I have a stand that can hold many of them which is good.  However I moved into a tiny room in my house that is my little studio now.  And the guitars are in there with me.  So the large stand with like 6-8 (can't remember) takes up a lot of floor room.

So the plan is to mount them or at least 6 on the wall.

Who here has knowledge of fitting a guitar rack on their wall?  Please provide me with all the details and necessary steps on how to go about getting such a thing mounted.

In my early research into this I can see that I will need to buy wood, mount this on the wall, then install numerous guitar hangers on this.

"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Mounting Guitars on the Wall to save room
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Chucky has been mounting all his on the (various) walls of his house. Whats your wall made of ? If it's brick you'll need to do some dyna bolting, otherwise find the studs to mount the wood to. And use hangers that close when the guitar is in them (or there may be tears LoL)
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

tomy

• "To loose means trouble, to win pays double"
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

hey RG, I don't know if it's a good idea to get all of your guitar on the same rack on the wall : when something goes wrong, all your axes fall.

one stand/ guitar to me seem to be safier
"As far back as I can remember,  I've always wanted to be a  gangster..."

ARSENAL :
https://fr.audiofanzine.com/membres/885047/products/

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Mine are mounted on the wall with these hi-qual K&M wall mounts:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/km_16280_gitarrenwandhalter.htm

Since we're packing for the move to Jap I have a surplus of 6 of them....

If you wanna have them lemme know...I can throw in a soldering station with adjustable temp if you want as well ;)
« Last Edit: Time Format by Systematic Chaos »

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

@Richard

Brick mate.  Is that a big job getting dyna bolting?

@ Tomy
Really man?  But it will be bolted to the wall for support and plenty of guys have like walls of guitars mounted that way.  I think it makes sense as I have f**king many for this room and I don't want to store them in the GF's "girl room".

@ SC
Hey man that would be awesome!!!  Are you sure?  I'd be buying them same things pretty much man so that would be perfect.  Might need a few more but you've saved me euros there!!

Thomann is great!!  Love that store.  I never shop in my locals music stores now, everything is Thomann or ebay!

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Sure, no prob...you can have the 6 mounts. Wanna have that soldering station as well (230v, adjustable temp)? jap has 100v so I can't use it there anymore....
Movers will start to pack our things on may 9...I'll ship by the 13th as my flight is on the 15th

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, no it's not a big job, just a bit different. You need to drill holes in the brick (not in the mortar between the bricks as is softer and will crumble) with a suitable masonry drill bit (and sometimes a hammer drill).  Dyna bolts come in various sizes and depths.  They have a central shaft that is wider at one end inside a sheath that expands inside the hole so when you tighten the bolt it pulls the central shaft into the expandable sheath, this expands the sheath which fixes it the the wall. (http://www.scrooz.com.au/blog/what-are-dynabolt-or-sleeve-anchors/).

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Mine were mounted to a brick wall as well. I'll pack some screws and dowels (same I used, absolutely sufficient) in there as well.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Sure, no prob...you can have the 6 mounts. Wanna have that soldering station as well (230v, adjustable temp)? jap has 100v so I can't use it there anymore....
Movers will start to pack our things on may 9...I'll ship by the 13th as my flight is on the 15th

Yeah sure man!!!  It's like f**king Christmas!!

Is the iron large?  You need some money for postage?

Thank you very much.

Hey Richard, that's cool about the wall mounting.  I'm not sure I will do it myself.  I may get someone else to do it  but we shall see.
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »

tomy

• "To loose means trouble, to win pays double"
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

RG, I don't know if i get clear enough (My  English :facepalm: ) : you can put all of your guitars on the same wall, but my idea was 1 hanger per guitar screwed separately on the wall(SC's are just what you need) and not all hangers on a piece of wood because if that piece of wood goes wrong all the guitar on it will fall.
"As far back as I can remember,  I've always wanted to be a  gangster..."

ARSENAL :
https://fr.audiofanzine.com/membres/885047/products/

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Yeah sure man!!!  It's like f**king Christmas!!

Is the iron large?  You need some money for postage?

Thank you very much.

Don't sweat it!!  Just sent you an email

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Well I'll take SCs advice re dowel and screws being good enough, my gut though is happier with a couple of nice longish 3/16" or 1/4" dynabolts. Also depends on how many guitars will hang off the mounting, if you did 2 rows of alternate spacing then less load on the mountings and you can get more guitars up.

Though if you mount each hanger separately (kind of what Tomy's saying ?) with wood dowels and screws then I agree a good way to go as only one guitar weight on 2 screws.  I was thinking like Chucky's where he mounted a long bit of wood to the wall and then screwed the hangers to that.

@RG, do you know a builder type you can get to do it for you ? Sounds like the go then you don't have to buy a masonry drill bit
« Last Edit: Time Format by rnolan »

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

An M8 concrete drill bit should do the trick. 6-8cm screws plus dowels. Done

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Y'all beat me to it. I have about 9 Hercules wall hangers. They work well, and have a spring loaded lock that works well. Just make sure you screw them into a stud, not the sheetrock! haha

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Hey Dante, in this instance they're screwing into brick. I like the idea of those Hercules hangers as they lock off.

Another reason I thought of why some might mount a wooden strip and screw the hangers to that is to make a bit more distance to the wall for thicker guitars (eg acoustic)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up