ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: So I've bought some cheap pickups  (Read 28870 times)

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
Re: So I've bought some cheap pickups
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

I think Billy Gibbons (from ZZ Top) uses a quarter. That's thick!

I tried it, and found the same thing...too tinny for my tastes. I had a stainless steel pick too, same thing, no likey

El Chiguete

« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

also Brian May uses a quarter!
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

I think Brian May uses a penny, but same idea. I tried a metal pick once (not sure who gave it to me) I think it's stainless steel, it was nice and stiff. I liked it but it destroyed the strings.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

Yeah I also tried metal picks.  f**king awful!!!

The problem I found is no contouring so the scrape as Soloist said.  If they were contoured they'd move of the strings better without scraping.

I cannot use a picks that have flat edges now or squared I should say.  I need contours I can't actually play the guitar  :o

When I use a pick I need the string to fly of the pick with no resistance.  I used to back in the day add some string lub to the pick as well!  I have many weird things I do to help playing.  Probably to correct inadequacies hahahha

Still waiting on these bastard pickups arriving!!
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

They're here!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

looks good, does it sound good?????????????

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

Very nice looking PU, hope it sounds how you want  :thumb-up:

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

INSTALLATION DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!    INSTALLATION DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!    INSTALLATION DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Will do a before and after, so comparison will be with me and El's fav Dimarzio Super Distortion dp100.

Lets see how it hold up to the cheap and sucking chips Cali Mega Drive H32 (ceramic model as opposed to the neodymium)

Clips on the way

DorsetRatt

« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

Hey Guys,

Just a quick reply with regard to picks/plectrums ... before RG posts the results for his Cali pickup.

As RG noted earlier in this thread ... sometimes using a different pick material can make all the difference.

I've been using brass picks for a while now, with good results (I think Harry Cody used metal picks too). I bought a small sheet of 1.5mm brass and cut the shape out to match a Jazz III, then filed and chamfered the edges (there's quite a noticeable chamfer on the red Jazz IIIs), and finished it all off with some fine wet/dry paper. I did the same with 1.2mm and 0.9mm brass sheet.

1.5mm = very heavy pick
1.2mm = still a heavy pick
0.9mm = just a heavy pick (but probably the favourite, and frequently used)

I may drill a few holes, just to reduce the weight some more?

Sound wise ... cos they're chamfered they slip across the strings nice and easy, there is some scraping but I kinda like that, and the brass produces a really nice strong/powerful tone. Also, I was expecting the brass to be slippery to hold ... but it's the exact opposite, the chemicals/sweat from your fingers react with the brass and this holds the pick in place.

Preamps: MP-1, MP-1 Classic, MP-2, Soldano SP-77, Piranha
Guitars: Sutch Siran Headless, Palm Bay Tidalwave, ESP M-1, Gibson Flying V

Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

Hey DR, very interesting, thanks for the heads up  :thumb-up:

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

Hey Guys,

Just a quick reply with regard to picks/plectrums ... before RG posts the results for his Cali pickup.

As RG noted earlier in this thread ... sometimes using a different pick material can make all the difference.

I've been using brass picks for a while now, with good results (I think Harry Cody used metal picks too). I bought a small sheet of 1.5mm brass and cut the shape out to match a Jazz III, then filed and chamfered the edges (there's quite a noticeable chamfer on the red Jazz IIIs), and finished it all off with some fine wet/dry paper. I did the same with 1.2mm and 0.9mm brass sheet.

1.5mm = very heavy pick
1.2mm = still a heavy pick
0.9mm = just a heavy pick (but probably the favourite, and frequently used)

I may drill a few holes, just to reduce the weight some more?

Sound wise ... cos they're chamfered they slip across the strings nice and easy, there is some scraping but I kinda like that, and the brass produces a really nice strong/powerful tone. Also, I was expecting the brass to be slippery to hold ... but it's the exact opposite, the chemicals/sweat from your fingers react with the brass and this holds the pick in place.

This sounds awesome man!!  Good work!  when you say chamfered you mean like contoured edges rather than like a squared flat edge?

Picks defo make the difference, feel sound and all that.  I've played a lot of picks over the years an experimented a lot with material.  I've stayed with the same pick for a good while now.

DR are you actually in Dorset?  Could I buy a pick of you to check it out?  I like the shape of a jazz III so it would suit me.

DorsetRatt

« Reply #26 on: Time Format »

Hey RG,

Drop me an email with your address details ... I'll post one across to you. I've only made the three prototypes (cos I figured they'd last a life time), I'll send you the 1.5mm, and make myself another one next time I'm out in the garage. Yes, completely chamfered/contoured (not a square edge in sight), just like a red Jazz III
Preamps: MP-1, MP-1 Classic, MP-2, Soldano SP-77, Piranha
Guitars: Sutch Siran Headless, Palm Bay Tidalwave, ESP M-1, Gibson Flying V

Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #27 on: Time Format »

Hey DR, that would be excellent.  I'll pm ya.

As for the pickups.  Ok I have not installed the bridge pup yet.  Why?  I have been a little busy and also trying to make decent examples of the dp100 in my strat before I do the same playing but using the Mega Drive H32.

I'm going to do clean (finger picked hopefully)
Clean Chords Strummed
Medium Gain - Chords and lead
High Gain - Chords and lead

want it to be thorough.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #28 on: Time Format »

Ok have recorded all the clips I wanted using the dimarzio.  So now just the Caliguitar H32 Super Drive.

Haven't got to install is as I was just too busy this week.  Tonight is the night though!!

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #29 on: Time Format »

ok I installed the Cali H32 SUPER DRIVE.

Its pretty good.  I would say it was less bassy compare to the dimarzio.  It really has raunchy mids and a lot of bite.  I was expecting more lo end though so I was totally taken by surprise.  Perhaps it's because of the guitar?  I dunno.  But when the companies website say's it's a bold tone I kinda expect bold and dark lo mids.  Instead I got savage upper mids.  Easily balance with the bass controls on pre amp or equalizer so no issue really.

When I post the clips I want detailed analysis and opinion.  I find string definition is perhaps a little better on the H32  :dunno:  It is very good at it and chords can really get all the strings sounding.

More to come.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up