ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: What String gages do you prefer (and on what giut?)  (Read 25551 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Hey MJMP, have you tried the DR tight wounds ? I've been using them for many years, great string IMO, feel great, long lasting, consistent, if you've never tried them, my recommendation  :thumb-up:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

Too bad the shop doesn't sell DR 009-046 sets.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento

Great topic Dante,

Many moons ago when I had hair and metal was mainstream, I used Super Slinky's 9 gauge. Then one day I tried Dean Markley's Blue Steel 10-46 and I was hooked. They last forever and NEVER break, which the SS's did all the time. Great sustain and love the tone and art. harmonics I get with them.

On the acoustic side I use DM Vintage Bronze 12-54. I read way back when that Steve Howe would use heavier gauge strings to build strength in his fingers. Helps immensely when you go from acoustic back to 10's on electric.

I didn't start this - Richard did, but I appreciate it. I remember using 9s and breaking a lot of high E strings, usually down near the bridge. That stopped as soon as I began using the 10s. I found them just as easy to bend, but with a bit more sustain than the 9s. I was also using Ernie Ball Super Slinkys back then. I still us EB Skinny Top / Heavy Bottoms on a couple of stoptail guitars.

kawai2g4b

MJMP, yes they are expensive!  But as a normally fixed bridge player I dont have to worry about breakage much and they last a looong time before they die.  I have one set going on 6 months with daily playing on the Lipman.  I wouldn't recommend for a whammy bar user just due to the cost though. 
Pearce G2R with ADA TFX4 in loop.
ADA MB-1/B500B
And other non ADA stuff.

Kawai AQ-500 guitar, Korean Fender Lite Ash Strat, Electra X930 MPC modded, G&L L2K basses, Peavey T40, Fernandes basses.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Not sure if they make that gauge combination, Seriously try the 10-46, best thing I ever did (at least once), love them and as Dante points out, you get a little more sustain and body from the 10

dazzyB

With Ibanez I tend to use D'addario XL 10-46 (like Soloist). I was wondering if anyone had used the XL Prosteels.

Darren
Darren
Ibanez RG550DSY
ADA MP1 3TM
Alesis Quadraverb

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Hey Darren, I tended to steer clear of D'addario as I always found them super bright when new and then they settle after a while.  As I was changing strings every 2nd gig/day back then, this really didn't work for me. Then the DRs came to Australia, I loved them and have been using them ever since on electrics', and I'm still a dedicated Dr Thomastic user for anything acoustic (either lights 10 - 42 (thinnest wound G on the planet (.017)) or med lights 11 - 50).
Cheers R

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

Not sure if they make that gauge combination, Seriously try the 10-46, best thing I ever did (at least once), love them and as Dante points out, you get a little more sustain and body from the 10

Tried 10's,too different for me.

Zilthy

• My Youtube Channel

I use D'Addario .009 - .042 on all of mine.  I should give the .009 - .0046 a try sometime though.

Now to find some strings that I like for my electric violin and cello.... sheesh those are expensive though....

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t

Tried a new string gauge today D'Addarios EXL120+. They are like an in between size.
Top 2 and bottom 2 are in between a 9 and a 10. The middle 2 are a standard 9 gauge size. These things sound awesome, plenty of low end chunk, no high shrills and not as difficult to bend as 10's.
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

I hope they've improved, I always (but this is long ago) found D'Addarios very bright at first, they take a bit to settle so need lots of playing in. But I'm a DR convert these days (the tight wounds I've been using for years now are great strings), and like anyone with a floating whammy, change brands change tension etc.
Interesting gauge change and  :thumb-up: that you like them  :whoohoo!: You'll play better because you enjoy them more  >:D . Interesting what you say about bending the 9.5 rather than a 10, my initial thought was I like a ten and don't find it that hard to bend and I like the "body" it has compared to thinner strings. I don't like 9s, I just pull them off the board these days (I started on 8s with my first guitar) and they go out of tune when I "belt" a cord, so I settled on 10-46, Comfortable but enough body. But interesting idea how a 9.5 / 11.5 would go on the top.  44 on the bottom is to light for me, they'd just go out of tune when I play chords, but I play hard and burn pics so obviously depends what you are playing.

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.

Old thread bump....   :wave:

I'm using D'Addario EXL145 strings.  (12-16-20p-32-42-54) tuned to Standard B (and occasional Drop A) on 25.5 scale.  Full floating trem with a FU Tone brass tremstop installed, so no more floating or pulling up.   I started by just using 7-string sets and tossing the high E, but then looked for a 6-string set that resembled what I was already doing.   I might try to find a "better" gauge, but I'm happy for now.

tomy

• "To loose means trouble, to win pays double"

hi everybody,
to me it's D'addario XL 10-13-17-26-36-46, I recently tried 9-42 but it's too slack for me and as i'm not accostumed, when I play chord pitch is not really good, so I came back to 10-46.
D' addario is a brand that doesn't make resilient noise with  active PU and Floyd rose (in my opinion) and price is ok... could be cheaper but it's ok
"As far back as I can remember,  I've always wanted to be a  gangster..."

ARSENAL :
https://fr.audiofanzine.com/membres/885047/products/

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member

Hey Gang,

I use 10-46 on all my single coil guitars, and 09-42 on all my humbucker guitars. This gets the signal output pretty close to each other when I switch guitars, so I don't have to make any adjustments on my amps.

A rule of thumb about guitar strings you might keep in mind: The heavier the gauge of strings, the less distortion you will get from them. They will need much higher gain levels to get an overdriven/distorted tone. Plus, they will not respond as well to extreme tremolo action as the lighter gauges will. A case in point: In the 90's, I used 13-56 gauge strings on a couple of my guitars. The tones I got were beautiful! Even at higher gain levels, The notes came through with great clarity, and still had a lot of "clean" volume with the gain, but if I went to dive b*mb a string, it would not go slack as it would with lighter gauge strings. Even the low "E" would only flat out to almost two octaves below pitch. (This is with both a stock Stratocaster Tremolo, and a Floyd Rose). I considered having my guitars routed in the tremolo cavity to allow the block to travel further, but decided to go with the lighter gauges instead and tone down the gains, which would give me a quieter signal.

My string brand preference is DR High Voltage for all my Stratocasters, (they really open up the tone), and the same for my humbucking guitars. If I can't find them, I will use the DR Pure Blues. They are not as articulate, but they sustain well. My 3rd choice would be Maxima Gold strings but they are a bit pricey.

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

Chucky

• Long Live JURRRRIIIIIIE!!!!

I use to be a very simple string gauge user.
One gauge for every guitar. Bottom line.
I used 9-42 for the first ten years and went to custom lights for a year (9-46)
and then switched to 10-46 since then.

With a few try outs here and there for fun with Nickel strings, Cobalts, Golds, Elixirs and higher gauges (11-52),
I remained pretty faithful to the 10-46...Whatever brands.

Then lately I tried a few things and started to notice that some of my axes sound better with different gauges.
So my Standard faded Les Paul sounds amazingly better (Yes, a really very noticeable improvement) running
on 9-42s while the chambered ones react better with 10-46.

So I changed my mind a lot about strings...
It is a long process of trial and error that has to be done with each and every guitar I own.
I used to think that a string gauged was matched to me and would have to go on whatever guitar.
It's the other way around: Strings have to match a guitar and then I have to adjust.  :dunno:
EMGs suck my energies.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up