ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Digitech Studio Quad V2  (Read 10860 times)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
Digitech Studio Quad V2
« on: Time Format »

Hey Fellas,

anyone ever used or had experience with a Digitech Studio QUAD 4?  Looking at this for a new live/studio rig I am building.  I'm using the a Boss SX700 currently and whilst it sounds great I had the level/mix controls.  Way too complex for my liking.  Having used a lot of Boss stuff over the years, this take the biscuit in regards to unnecessarily complicated system of controling effect and dry mix.

Anyways long story short, I want another unit, that does the job, and the digitech maet my live needs as it has a harmonizer on it.  This is not essential in my studio setup since I have multiple great harmonizing units, but since I can't have a huge rack live, a need a unit that can do a basic harmonist function as well as my reverbs and choruses and delays and I stumbled upon this unit as a possiblity.

Anyone any clue about it?  I might be able to pick up a V2 very cheaply.

Eventually live I aim to move to midi control also and have only a midi contoller on the flloor and get rid of my Boss GT5 (it will be kep though for ultra light weight rig options for abroad).
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

vansinn

Re: Digitech Studio Quad V2
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Haven't had one myself, but it's engine is pretty similar to the TSR-24.
IIMC, the Quad can do four mono tracks or two stereo or one stereo plus two mono.
However, it's somewhat limited in it's programming, meaning you can't set up effects chains any which way you might want.
But, if you have the need for processing two stereo tracks (or one of the other combinations) in one compact device, whilst not really needing loads of custom programming options, it's a device hard to beat.
Sound quality is excellent; you won't be disappointed.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Thanks Van
my needs are basic.  I need the ability to have Chorus Delay and Reverb in that order (and not all on at once) and when I aint got chorus on the ability to have pitch shift/harmonising on with reverb.

Probably not the biggest demands in the world.  However I would expect to be able to turn effects on and off at leisure and also various settings with use of midi.  You know what a QUAD sounds like then?

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Just have been going thru the manual and it seems to me it's very limited in what you can with it. If I where you I would the manual carefully before you buy it.
Also it doesn't seem to have an intelligent pitch shifter either.

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

The Studio Quad (V2) ain`t that bad but it`s not what you're looking for. There's also a slight switching latency and (as MJMP already said) the Pitch Shifter id a Pitch Shifter, not a Harmonizer (not intelligent).
Hunt down a used Digitech GSP1101 (dubbed "the poor man's AxeFX; they pop up for cheap), hook up whatever of your Preamps you want to in 4 cable method and you're set for a long run with everything you want and need in a compact 2u config.
With the latest Beta C63 FW you have a more than usable intelligent pitch shifter with very decent tracking and can load up to 10 user cab IRs in the GSP1101.

I have both the GSP1101 and the old VGS2120 as well as an AxeFXII and some other gizmos...hit me up if you wanna know some more in depth...

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

I looked at the manual for the Quad and it said "Harmony" and there is also scale selection and key selection which in my experience is not just pitch shifting, that's intelligent pitch shifting territory.  See attachment on the right hand side.

I looked at the GSP1101, but it really seems too much for my needs.  I'd be keen to avoid using 4 cable method as well  since I have finally noticed a difference in using 4 cable method and plugging directly into the preamp and running effects after the pre.
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Whatever floats your boat man ;-)

I checked out a Studio Quad V2 briefly in 2006 but it sounded better when apllied to our mixing desk than when hooked up to my (Pre)Amp. The switching latency, lack of spillover and overall quality for the guitar sound made me disconect the patch cables instantly.
I dunno with what gear you checked out the 4cm, but I can attest that the GSP1101 is very transparent and youĺl hardly notice any difference especially when hooked upt to a power amp and cab.

Just my 2 Japanese Yen....

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Ok made a mistake, the manual I was reading was the Studio 400 Quad.  Some what confusing.  The 400 does have intelligent pitch shifting, the Studio Quad V2 does not.  The 400 looks like a good unit actually but is too large.

Back to the drawing board!!

I've used 4 cable method for years SC, and also in the last few years since moving to rack preamps.  I used it with my Boss units and it sounded good.  But something different that I like seems to be present when going direct into the pre.  I noticed this in my studio (where I was also using a GT5 in 4cm), there was some kind of extra texture present that I never heard before.  Very subtle, but it was there.  My live set up is Gt5 and preamp in the loop, the output to amp.

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

8)

OK, I get the picture. With the GT5 (being a floorboard) you have immense lengths of cable runs back and forth to your racked preamp(s). That itself results in a definite degradation of your signal.

Having your needs in terms of weight restrictions/size (when it comes to travel) in mind I suggested the GSP1101. GSP and preamp in 2u rack bag, small midi controller (e.g. Control 7, can be found for 30€ used) in the rack bags pocket. Done.
Guitar signal to rack and in there is where it stays with no extra lengths of cable (except some small 15cm patch cables in the back of the rack). Just a Midi cable from rack to floorboard. -> Clean solution.
You can either decide to bring your poweramp of use the loop returns of the venue's backline amps for fly in gigs.
Compared to the internal of the GT5/SX700/GX700/...units of that era, the GSP1101 is by far more transparent in 4cm.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, if you really want to get pedantic the 4 CM method is slightly floored from the start as it is totally dependent on the Fx units quality (remember the old posts where MikeB and I tested 4 CM with his GMaj 2 (which digitizes the input etc etc) compared with using a mixer and preserving MP1 analogue signal).  Did it sound better all analogue with mixer, yes but Mike lost some CC functionality (i.e. GMaj2 master vol control).
Your main driver (correct me if I'm wrong) is to build the smallest foot print rig (that sounds great) so you can fly with it.  So (for what they are worth), my thoughts are ADA preamp (MP1 ?  or 3TM 4cm into decent FX (I recon a Lexicon MX300 (new reliable has all the FX you want including pitch/harmonising, eq etc) and IIRC you have poweramp.  Or better MP2 with MX300 (or similar) in the stereo parallel loop (no 4cm issues).  The MP2 has a room eq knob BTW, this will help you adjust for all the different cabs you end up using (and the cab sim outs will feed the FOH (jack or XLR), no mic up required).  Then to control it all you just need a phantom powerable midi pedal. And I you could put some sort of boost thing in front (preferably a rack mount thing?), anyway my 20 cents AUD)
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Haha....Rich, I knew my comments would trigger your 4cm distaste and wrath  8) :wave: :thumb-up:

Reason I suggested the GSP1101 specifically:
- relatively cheap on the occasion market
- outstanding quality/price ratio
- designed for guitar and integration of external preamps
- series and parallel routing possible within GSP1101
- independent 1/4 and XLR outputs (cab ir (de-)selectable on either)
- good harmonizer
- very good overall fx quality
- very transparent sounding
- up to 10 user cab ir can be uploaded (with latest c63 FW)
- footprint and weight
- *sidenote* was used extensively by pros (Megadeth, Dweezil Zappa, Queensryche,....) 

Especially the IR options for the outputs enable you to set up your sound with your IRs and can have it run to the board/desk for FOH with a consistent sound everywhere while still having the option to plug the 1/4 outputs to whatever poweramp/cab you want to

...when the drummer starts to chime in, you won't hear the 13th row of overtones that gets lost at the analog/digital conversion ;-)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

8)

OK, I get the picture. With the GT5 (being a floorboard) you have immense lengths of cable runs back and forth to your racked preamp(s). That itself results in a definite degradation of your signal.

Having your needs in terms of weight restrictions/size (when it comes to travel) in mind I suggested the GSP1101. GSP and preamp in 2u rack bag, small midi controller (e.g. Control 7, can be found for 30€ used) in the rack bags pocket. Done.
Guitar signal to rack and in there is where it stays with no extra lengths of cable (except some small 15cm patch cables in the back of the rack). Just a Midi cable from rack to floorboard. -> Clean solution.
You can either decide to bring your poweramp of use the loop returns of the venue's backline amps for fly in gigs.
Compared to the internal of the GT5/SX700/GX700/...units of that era, the GSP1101 is by far more transparent in 4cm.

That's true about the cable, it still sounds fine, I just think it sounds better directly into the pre.

In my studio when using 4cm and the boss GT5, the leads are short also, so degradation is definitely not an issue here, it's hard to compare the live sound to the studio setup.  But since I changed from guitar > pre > FX using the sx700  I think a bit more clarity and bite is present.

With the SX700 there is no 4cm.  My chain is like this:

Guitar > Pre > RockMAN eq > Rocktron Hush IICX > Rocktron Intellipitch > SX700.

Sounds great, just I hate the mix controls of the SX700.

Live I was hoping to have:

Guitar > Pre > NS-50 Noise gate > SX700 > Power Amp

But now I've decided I don't like the SX700 controls at all.  First boss I've disagreed with.

Hey RG, if you really want to get pedantic the 4 CM method is slightly floored from the start as it is totally dependent on the Fx units quality (remember the old posts where MikeB and I tested 4 CM with his GMaj 2 (which digitizes the input etc etc) compared with using a mixer and preserving MP1 analogue signal).  Did it sound better all analogue with mixer, yes but Mike lost some CC functionality (i.e. GMaj2 master vol control).
Your main driver (correct me if I'm wrong) is to build the smallest foot print rig (that sounds great) so you can fly with it.  So (for what they are worth), my thoughts are ADA preamp (MP1 ?  or 3TM 4cm into decent FX (I recon a Lexicon MX300 (new reliable has all the FX you want including pitch/harmonising, eq etc) and IIRC you have poweramp.  Or better MP2 with MX300 (or similar) in the stereo parallel loop (no 4cm issues).  The MP2 has a room eq knob BTW, this will help you adjust for all the different cabs you end up using (and the cab sim outs will feed the FOH (jack or XLR), no mic up required).  Then to control it all you just need a phantom powerable midi pedal. And I you could put some sort of boost thing in front (preferably a rack mount thing?), anyway my 20 cents AUD)

I agree probably keeping analogue does sound best, but it really isn't bad sounding going through a unit digitized or not.  I've never noticed any additional bad artefacts from using my boss.

So lexicon has intelligent pitch shifting eh?  I wasn't aware of that.  I must look at both MX300 and GSP1101.  Are there any older lexicons with intelligent pitch shifting?  I ask this because older units are cheaper and I'm looking for a bargain as always.

edit:  Richard the MX300 has no intelligent pitch shift which is a shame as there are some bargains on ebay right now for them!

Really pissed the SX700 did not work out.

- *sidenote* was used extensively by pros (Megadeth, Dweezil Zappa, Queensryche,....) 

and most Importantly Glenn Tipton  :headbanger:

https://digitech.com/en/news/glenn-tipton-of-judas-priest-relies-on-digitech-gsp1101-preamp-processor

Mind you, I don't like how his guitars have sounded in years hahahaha so perhaps it's not for me.  I hate all modern tones, this is probably the worst era ever of guitar tones.  Who knows though perhaps my rig with a GSP1101 would sound good......................... :thumb-up:

I'm not ruling it out mate  :thumb-up:
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Hey SC, Mike has gone back to 4cm for the added functionality, and I actually agree with you (as you said back then, "is it that big a difference" or words to that effect). Once we are all cranked up.... splitting hairs (ahh but the purist in me..LoL).
Hey HG, I disagree with the sound of all boss stuff (as you know, but I'll bight my tongue... hey if it works for you  :thumb-up: ) and SC's suggestions make allot of sense (and they are usually on the money  :thumb-up: ), have you thought of using your rockman preamp thingy ? (I assume you still have it ?), given you guys are 3 piece, the compressor on the guitar wont matter that much dynamically (another idea..).  I'd like to hear you opinion on a MP2, they have way more gain than MP1, very versatile preamp...  But hey, you could make your life easier with a AxeFX, one stop shopping.... (I'm trusting SC here as I haven't used one)
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

I disagree with the sound of all boss stuff (as you know, but I'll bight my tongue... hey if it works for you  :thumb-up: ) and SC's suggestions make allot of sense (and they are usually on the money  :thumb-up: ),

Weird you don't like Boss to that degree, so many others disagree with you lol  At least one pedal has to be to your liking, they've so many classics.  Anyways their GT5 sounds a lot better to me than many of their later pedals, that's why I chose it, a lot more analogue.  And their chorus is pretty famous too.  Anyways I'm not a diehard, but their equipment works well with me (once I gained an understanding of their MFX units which took a while).

have you thought of using your rockman preamp thingy ? (I assume you still have it ?), given you guys are 3 piece, the compressor on the guitar wont matter that much dynamically (another idea..). 
  Then I would sound like a rockman permanently which I don't want.  Also I want to play through speaker cabs, something the Rockman Sustainor isn't designed to do.  It's means to be played through flat cabs.  I've committed to real cabs so I'm sticking with them.

I'd like to hear you opinion on a MP2, they have way more gain than MP1, very versatile preamp... 
I'm not in the market for another preamp, it may have more gain, but it will still need a boost as it doesn't have the three tier distortion stage.  I'm happy to stick with MP1's and a boost infront of them  (except the 3TM of course).  If the MP2 had intelligent pitchshifting we'd be in business.

But hey, you could make your life easier with a AxeFX, one stop shopping.... (I'm trusting SC here as I haven't used one)
  That's not going to happen.  I prefer the gear I use and the setup, and for one thing it's a lot cheaper.  I'm looking to spend a very small amount of money and an AXE FX is very expensive.  Also not as much fun as using real gear.  I went from modeling (albeit may be not as good) to real gear so I'm not about to revert back.  Might suit some people but I'm hanging onto my MP1's and my Rockmasters.

I just need a 1u Rack fx unit with all my reverbs delays and chorus's and pitchshifitng with a modicum of intelligence.

Upon looking at the SX700 manual there are a million (a lot) of different ways to configure the effects chain.  Perhaps these are the answer to me getting better use out of the unit.  I know nothing about parallel effect placement so may be if I looked into using one of the parallel arrangements it would help me with the  mix between direct sound and fx better????

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up