ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NOGD: New Old Gear Day  (Read 4480 times)

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
NOGD: New Old Gear Day
« on: Time Format »

I just landed a vintage guitar that has parts on it I've never seen in real life...only in pictures of very expensive guitars

It's a 1978 Ibanez CN200. They are pretty rare, only produced during the height of the golden age of Ibanez. Solid mahogany body, solid carved maple cap, laminated rock maple neck, ebonized (wtf?) rosewood fingerboard with block  inlays and jumbo frets. Super 80 "flying fingers" pickups, smooth tuners (aka star tuners), cloud tailpiece and a Gibraltar harmonica bridge. Solid as a rock, weighs about 8 lbs (I think)

Plays better than she looks, and she looks fantastic. Used to be white, now yellow with age, gold hardware, 7ply binding on the edges. The knobs were very crackly when used, so I hit the pots with deoxit and cycled them a hundred times or so, now they're noise free. Same with the toggle switch. The neck looked black, I thought it was the 'ebonized' rosewood, whatever that is. Turns out, it was crud. I cleaned it with a natural based wood cleaner and then hit it with some Dr. Stringfellows Lem-Oil.

Pickups are HOT. They have a very nice grind on clean tones and just kill the distortion stuff too. Like a lester, with a bit more squeal on the attack and dirt on the finish. Amazing tone

I'm smitten with her
« Last Edit: Time Format by Dante »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: NOGD: New Old Gear Day
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Go Dante, good score my friend, what a beauty  :thumb-up: . Mmm ebonized rosewood ??? maybe someone here has some idea what that means.  If it plays anything like the black Navarra LP I used to have it will be a great guitar.  The neck looks very similar to the LP as do other features (bolt on neck, binding). The block inlays brought back memories... pretty much identical.

Was it expensive ? though knowing you you got it for a good price LoL
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

She pairs nicely with my Ibanez Les Paul. Thankfully, she's not as heavy as the Lester (12 lbs!)

And yes, I got her for a good price. I have a friend nearby who collects vintage Ibanez and Greco guitars, he knows what I paid  :-X

DorsetRatt

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Managed to find a little info on ebonized woods ...

http://www.wwgoa.com/article/ebonizing-wood/

Nice vintage Ibanez Dante :thumb-up:
Preamps: MP-1, MP-1 Classic, MP-2, Soldano SP-77, Piranha
Guitars: Sutch Siran Headless, Palm Bay Tidalwave, ESP M-1, Gibson Flying V

Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict

tomy

• "To loose means trouble, to win pays double"
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Very nice, late seventies to Early eighties was definitely the golden age for japanese model. Heavy but good looking and Wonderfull woodwork . Today some brands like Aria pro II come back to the series they built during that period.
"As far back as I can remember,  I've always wanted to be a  gangster..."

ARSENAL :
https://fr.audiofanzine.com/membres/885047/products/

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

They look like a married couple Dante LoL

Hey DR, thanks, now I get it  :thumb-up:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few
Pages: [1]   Go Up