ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scumback speakers  (Read 6772 times)

El Chiguete

Scumback speakers
« on: Time Format »

When a friend of mine that is an amp builder wanted a couple of years ago a speaker for his Dumble clone he did A LOT of reaserch and came up with  the Scumback H75-LD (actually he has the the original version of this speaker when it was made from a guy named Mike in his home as a hobbie but he went to have bad health issues and sold the specs and ¨know how¨ to Scumbacks because he was friends with the owner of Scumback. The wife also told us that the people of Scumback call her from time to time to see how was her husband so it looks like they are good people in Scumback). He liked them so much that the cab he made with them is his main cab when he is testing tones of amps. Anyway I've played with this cab in his home many times and I've allways said that I wanted to get them for myself but only once I've played it with my MP-1 but it was one time that I was testing my MP-1 thru the loop of his Marshall 2550 Silver Jubilee clone and I was HEAVEN!!!

Fast forward a couple of years latter and I've allways had a thougth in the back of my head if it was the 2550 amp or the speaker cab that made the big difference, for sure it was both but still I wanted to try the cab alone. So now I know a lot more on how the MP-1 actually works and how to play around with settings to get different tones I called him up to borrow his cab and test things out in my house.

I've been having cab issues lately because one of my speakers died on my a few weeks ago and after visiting Marshall and getting to test his gear I know the tone I'm getting from my setup now has something that is not making it sound as good as it should and I allways remember that my tone was WAY better in the house of my friend thru his gear! BTW the speaker that came with my cab are the Celestion GM12-70 that when you search for them in the web everyone says that they are not so good speakers at all!

The speakers that came in my cab.

So I take the cab home and first play a few chords and riffs on my cab and then I switch to my friends cab............................. WTF that souds AWESOME  :metal: :metal: :metal: The tone I got was dead on what you read on the description if you go to Scumbacks website of these speakers! http://www.scumbackspeakers.com/h_series.html :

¨H75-LD      
Same speaker as the H75, but with a large dust cap. The large dust cap smoothes out (rolls off) the highs slightly, and makes the treble silkier, and adds a bit more bass response, right between the H75 and H55 models. The large dust cap also handles higher gain better than small dust cap speakers but with added efficiency to make your amp louder. Very popular with players of Dumble style amps.

This speaker is for: Those who desire the G12-80 tone with more low end.  :whoohoo!:

Specially treated 75hz cone.                       Pre Rola style doping just like the originals.
50 oz magnet, 1.75" voice coil, 12" wide.       8 bolt pattern allows mounting to most amps.
Available in 30, 65 & 100 watt, 99 db.           8 ohm & 16 ohm only.

12-1/8" (30.79 cm) diameter, 5-3/8" (13.67cm) deep, 8.5 lb (3.85 Kg)¨

The shrilly tone that I used to have was gone because it smoothes out the highs! The silkier treble sound was there! A LOT more and defined low end!!! When I went back to my old cab I was like ¨how could I ever play with this piece of  :poop:¨ jeje! I had ¨issues¨ with the tone of my guitars that made me think I needed to change the pickups on ALL of them but now everything is way better!  :bow:

Lucky for me with my new job now I'm abble to get a pair of them soon because I believe I wont tolerate much of my cab after this  :nono: :dunno: :crazy:

So if you guys are looking for new speakers check Scumback because they make GREAT sounding speakers  :thumb-up:

My gear next to my friends cab, you can see that he made this 2x12 cab bigger than normal.

Also a shot from the back of his amp and you can actually see the original speaker model name of when those speakers where made by the previews speaker builder.

« Last Edit: Time Format by El Chiguete »
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Scumback speakers
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey El, sounds like a good speaker  :thumb-up: :whoohoo!: .  The G12Ms you have are a special run made for Carvin (I think they do their own now ?).  I've got Boogie 90w Celetions in my split stacks (again they do a run for Boogie with their specs, a bit more mids (like all things Boogie) than the normal 75w celetions). The cones on your carvins don't look in very good condition ?? or is it just the pic ?  Also open back vs closed always sounds more open but needs a stiffer cone.  The Scumbacks look a bit like some Plessy Rola speakers (use to be made in Melbourne, Australia).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rickeb1

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Hey El, funny you should mention the Scumback H75-LD.  I am using a 2x12 cabinet (Port City OS212) loaded with one H75-LD and one Celestion V30L (which is a V30 made for the Marshall Mode 4 cabs that has slightly less shrill highs and a little more low end than the standard V30).  After trying quite a few different speaker combinations, this ended up making me the happiest.  The Scumback provides the lows and highs, while the V30 fills in more mids, making a nice mix.  However, if I could only play through the H75-LD, I would be very content as well, as I really like that speaker!

El Chiguete

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Scumback has a sale untill the 31st/Oct for everything! So if anyone is looking for speakers this is the time to do so!

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

El Chiguete

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Played a bit more with thes speakers and I just have to say I just love the tone I get now! Everything just feels so much better! The tone of the amp, the guitar tones, everything just so much better.

So guys please if you dont run your amp thru a good cab you are REALLY missing out on the tone that your MP-1/2/Classic can really do!!!

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81
Pages: [1]   Go Up