ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Axe pix  (Read 113987 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Axe pix
« Reply #60 on: Time Format »

Ahh can't help your self LoL. Have you tried running the 2 rigs together ? (although tends to clear the surrounding area  >:D ) it's a nice blend (well depending on patches/settings etc), it kind of dry wet but better IMHO.
But since you have 2 more amp cab combinations (well 3 ?? now (albeit not yet gain enhanced, hey may be leave it that way ?? can help tame  sound ??)), well I'd plug them all in and crank it, but, I'll no doubt think of the other possible permutations (over a glass or 2  >:D ).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

DesmoBob

« Reply #61 on: Time Format »

added a new marshall to the collection,a JCM2000 that i picked up for cheap.Guess i need another head to fill up the gap on the right  >:D
:bow: :bow:
Hmmm... I'm going out on a limb and hypothesize that you're quite fond of Marshall.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #62 on: Time Format »

Yep the old ones are used as poweramp,the JCM800 and the JMP in the middle are modified for more gain  >:D each going to one cab.I like playing straight into a head some times,gives a different sound.The 2000 is stil stock but not for long  ::)

That's a hell of a collection I must say  :o

How come you need so many amps though?  Isn't the idea behind the MP1?  So you can have 120 amps in one tiny little rack unit? 

I was hoping having an MP1 though would give me all those marshall tones  >:D

oh oh whats that???  No No No it's not the same as me having 14 guitars!!!  :lol:  I only bought em cause they were cheap anyways  ;D and for little projects for myself to fix up.  And like I have time for that  :crazy:
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #63 on: Time Format »

@Bob,well mmmmm yes,marshall stands symbol for metal for me  >:D Every metal band in the 80's had walls of marshalls and i guess it went into head and i could never ket go of this.

@Gerry,they all sound different and if see a good deal i just grab it and i won't let go.

A head sounds and feels different then using racks,problem is you have to set then LOUD to get a good sound.Racks sound better at lower volumes.A jcm800 with the master volume at 4 is loud,but will give the best sound.You get a fat mix of preamp and poweramp distortion.You just can't get that out of rack,the interaction between pre and power amp.

These are all second hand,i bought the 100W plexi ('66) for 3000Bfr (75 eur) back in the 80's,the '68 cab i payed 5000 Bfr (125 euro),so that was a good deal.The '72 for 300 euro,the JCM800 head + cab for 1000 euro ,the JMP 600 euro and the JCM2000 for 250 euro.The rest of cabs between 250 and 300 euro.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #64 on: Time Format »

A head sounds and feels different then using racks,problem is you have to set then LOUD to get a good sound.Racks sound better at lower volumes.A jcm800 with the master volume at 4 is loud,but will give the best sound.You get a fat mix of preamp and poweramp distortion.You just can't get that out of rack,the interaction between pre and power amp.

That seems pointless to me to have a rack then if heads are better?  How come so many guys use rack then and no sign of heads  (well the used to may be not now days)?  They're playing loud right?  Lets face it there is so only so loud you can go as well venue depending of course.

I get that it feels different, that's fair enough and a personal opinion.  But if heads were downright better at stage volume I'm curious as why people would bother with rack then?  My own opinion doesn't count here so I haven't stated what I think  BTW.

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #65 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, I kind of know what MJMP is saying, there is an aspect to the gain structure of a well made tube amp (but it's a combination of preamp/poweramp). Back when I was 15 (ish) I was saying to the local amp maker dude (Mick Smapson who made BAEZ amps in Newcastle (Oz)), why dont you do a tube preamp and SS (or whatever ) poweramp. But this is on the back of getting distortion from preamp, poweramp, and (depending how much you kicked them (ala blacmore) or slashed them etc.) speakers to get a decent tone. Then god invented Master volume knobs so you could lower the vol but keep the preamp sounding good.  MP1 came and fixed all that for me (and gave me 128 Marshalls'). But there is still something in that sound some like/prefer (it's a very "open" gain structure if that makes sense). Also I think it's been having a resurgence lately ?? That said, I fired up my '72 Marshall 50w a while ago, sounded (ok) but crap compared to MP2, but in its day was my only amp (and did well)....
Here's an idea for you, the headphone out on your MP1 is cab emulated (a bit, not quite like GCS3 or MP2 cab emulated outs) but has the extra top end toned down, you could DI that to front house and still use normal stage setup (no mics' required) (so TRS jack >> 2 x XLR).

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #66 on: Time Format »

totally understand, just figured though that an MP1 guy would be the sort to ditch a head and as we all see MJMP has a lot of heads.  I sold my last head a year ago and thank f*ck I did lol

Here's an idea for you, the headphone out on your MP1 is cab emulated (a bit, not quite like GCS3 or MP2 cab emulated outs) but has the extra top end toned down, you could DI that to front house and still use normal stage setup (no mics' required) (so TRS jack >> 2 x XLR).

Really??? I didn't know this,  I've never needed to use it I suppose.  If I ever needed speaker emulation live I'd buy another EPSI.

Man I don't really need to try that live though as I'm sorted for live and studio setups.  I've a good working one currently and I'll get the mp1 in action live soon.  Rearranging my speaker cabs in our rehearsal room differently has stopped all sorts of problems I was having regularly so I think when I get the mp1 hooked up to the boss I'll be laughing (in a good way).

All I did was spread my cabs out more and I put them on their side, like this cab here

http://www.michaelanthonyonline.com/IMAGES/ADACab1.jpg

I have no idea what this would have done but certainly stacking 2x12" cabs like I had before was f**king hell on earth!!  Where as having each one on it's own stand (ala milk crates) built in a wall formation but with a gap between 2 on either side has stopped crazy crazy feedback and bass and it's amazing!!  I reckon when I hook up the mp1 now I will not get anywhere near the crap I was the first time I tried it through my power amps.

Exciting rig times ahead for me in all honesty.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #67 on: Time Format »

(Really??? I didn't know this,  I've never needed to use it I suppose.) It got discussed in another thread with El and MJMP, El asked about using the HP out as additional outputs, MJMP said there are 2 caps that you'd need to take out to make it same as main outs (the caps take off the additional top end which is partly what cab sims do). Although the HP out has lots of output so you have to be careful not to overload the input stage of whatever you plug it into.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #68 on: Time Format »

(Really??? I didn't know this,  I've never needed to use it I suppose.) It got discussed in another thread with El and MJMP, El asked about using the HP out as additional outputs, MJMP said there are 2 caps that you'd need to take out to make it same as main outs (the caps take off the additional top end which is partly what cab sims do). Although the HP out has lots of output so you have to be careful not to overload the input stage of whatever you plug it into.

interesting, that means if it has good output, it could be used a send to somewhere else like you suggested?  Even if I don't need that it's still useful to know.  You never know when I might want to send an auxiliary signal else where for god knows what reason lol  the two caps then are basic speaker sim.  I wonder how much use this got when the unit first came out?  Like budding bedroom guitarist, did they endure the harsh heaphone out for night time practices?  I know I did when I was younger with other kit.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #69 on: Time Format »

When I had MP1 I never used it for headphones, I did use it to plug in to Rockman XL100 headphone in when I used the XL100 across 2 Marshalls' for solos. I was just adding in the MP1 back then as I used '72 Marshall for rhythm (through Tom Schultz power soak > 2 x 12") and a Marshall Artist > Yamaha Quad box. I modified a peavy foot switch to be A, B, A+B, A was '72 Marshall, B was XL100 (L/R HP output into each Marshall (with a couple of resistors in the leads to drop it back to inst level)), then combined the MP1 (took input from "72 Marshall spare input jack) and used the HP out into the XL100 HP in.  In front I had a Korg digital delay and a Korg stereo chorus.

I remember my dad bought me some "guitar" headphones (so I could annoy them less no doubt LoL), they had some distortion, is wasn't very nice but better than nothing.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #70 on: Time Format »

Heard some nice stuff from rockman devices on youtube.  What was that rockman xl 100 like?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #71 on: Time Format »

The XL100 was like a sony walkman, it was designed to clip to your belt for practicing and had a bunch of AA batteries (power supplies for it came later). It had guit in, 1/4 TRS stereo in (to come off a headphone out so you could play along with it), and 2 x 3.5mm headphone outs, it's own (tweaked headphones), 4 sounds (slide switch, clean 1 and 2, edge and dist), also stereo chorus/delay. Had the Tom Schultz boston sound, very compressed but the bees knees in it's day, so many adds/jingles from that era are XL100. I used it for recording quite a bit back then, sounded great just line in. A mate of mine got one and modded it to be foot switchable (the sliding switch was a pain live). He also got an old fridge and mounted 6 x 12" speakers in it, So he had XL100, SS poweramp, fridge speaker cab. So early version of what ADA did. Sounded great but not as good as MP1/2.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #72 on: Time Format »

DAMN. MJMP's new Vee is pretty f***in awesome...I hardly noticed any amps in the pic

:thumb-up:

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #73 on: Time Format »

:))

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #74 on: Time Format »

Well the first pic the amps were perfectly in focus and the guitars (a tad) blurry LoL. And like MJMP, I too like Marshalls  >:D .
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18   Go Up