ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mid Caps  (Read 4353 times)

RobbHell

Mid Caps
« on: Time Format »

Always tinkering with my MP1. This week I've been playing a lot with (C73) and (C74) the Mid Caps. This week I made a 9 way  Mid frequency selector with Caps ranging from .068 uf-.004uf. It still amazes me how you can tailor the Mp1. I'd recommend leaving (R151) 1K. When using 2k the scoop becomes way too dramatic.

Here's some fun Combos
MESA - (C74) .047-.022 (C73) .022Uf  (C83) 500pf   for (Recto Pres) or (720pf) for Mark Series Presence. .047uf is the stock value for a Mesa and ADA mid... but .033-.022uf sound a bit better.

Peavey- (C74) .022uf  (C73) .022Uf
 (C83) Stock to 500pf.

Enjoy.

El Chiguete

Re: Mid Caps
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

So with just these tone caps changes you color the tone to make the MP-1 sound more like those other type of amps? That will be an easy mod!

PS:
When you say Peavey you are talking of a Peavey 5150?
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Hey El, it's an analogue eg circuit, one of the most basic eq circuits is in your guitar(s), the tone pot shorts frequencies to ground via a capacitor (bit of a simple low pass filter (tops to ground)). So analogue eq circuits combine various components which do different things (caps (and their values) being one of them) to achieve the desired tone/frequency changes (boost/cut around a centre frequency (which I'm guessing is what Robs up to ?)).  EQ has 3 basic variables, gain (boost/cut), centre Frequency (often called Q) and width/slope (how much either side of the centre Frq is affected (notch (very little) to shelf (very broad))).  This is called parametric EQ (includes adjustment for all 3 parrameters), you can then have 3 or 4 band parametric EQs (like the better mixing consoles) thus 3 adjustments per band (band are divided usually into bass, low mid, hi mid and hi).
Your MP1 eq circuit has bass, mid, treb and pres, it has boost/cut for each but the centre frequency and width/slope of each band is set (by the values of various components and the circuit design). You could presumably get the similar results as Rob by setting your MP1 eq flat and using a decent parametric eq and dialing up the sounds...
That said, knowing what I do now, the MP1 eq could use some improvements, but IIUC, Rob made a selector to pick between a range of cap values for the same cap(s), a parametric does the same but has infinite values between its start/stop and a knob to select them. Not to cast any nastershams on Rob, he likes to fiddle  :thumb-up:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

RobbHell

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Very well put Rnolan. Now what led to this is that the fact I've always used a parametric eq or graphic when I was younger. The EQ really helps transform the MP1 for whatever needs you might have. But not everyone has an EQ... and have you ever heard an Mp1 without Eq.... yea not really for me lol.
After a few Eq adjustment's the Mp1 actually sounds pretty damn cool Standalone. 
I have patches whete the the mp1 eq is set to Zero... but you always get a pretty big vloume loss.

RobbHell

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

I've pretty much matched this MP1 to pair up perfectly with a Mesa 2:90. These mod adjustments work so well withvmy Rig I haven't fired up a 3TM in quite awhile. Between Mp1,para Eq, and the amps eq I wanted to try a more straight forward setup. Guitar-Ada-Amp. I felt there was a little too much eqing lol.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

I've always kept it simple eq wise (abeit I've always use an 8 channel desk to patch it all, simple/easier for me, I run it like a PA), I just went with the MP1 eq and now MP2 (which has a graphic as well, I use sparingly on a couple of patches).  I've also always had the (old now) Quadverb but I only use the delay and reverb and I mix it in via the desk effects sends and return down 2 channels.
Interesting you get a volume drop with MP1 eq set to 0, it kind of makes sense in a way as eq is not that well understood from a gain perspective, you can add or take away quite a bit of overall gain with eq.  Maybe the thinking in the MP1 was that most people boost (particularly if you have come from a standard guitar head of the day), but boost adds gain, so good to cut a bit as well, in the end it's the eq sound you want (curve) and then make sure that the overall level is the same with it in or out so your gain structure stays good.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few
Pages: [1]   Go Up