ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Soldano sp77 earth problem? also how do you dial your poweramp  (Read 34774 times)

gb

Hey George, (Can i put an input jack to the rear of the preamp. And is it as simple as duplicating the front jack but to the rear (IE run some wires from the solder points to the same pins on the rear jack?) ), Yes  :thumb-up: , just like many (older) amp inputs, the input jacks are mostly in parallel.

thanks richard!! that'll be the first mod ill do to it.

gotta workout where this bloody bad hum is coming from the unit. i wont let it beat me! my ada mp1 is my primary preamp of choice!! but i really like the soldano as it has this edge and clarity that i cant dial in from the ada mp1. i can a/b them.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Bet you can get it from the MP2 though  :wave: hey not to bag the soldano (has it got 4 tubes ?? gain central).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

gb

Bet you can get it from the MP2 though  :wave: hey not to bag the soldano (has it got 4 tubes ?? gain central).

possibly .. but the mp2 is temporamental and only works when it wants to unfortunately :D otherwise id be pretty complete with the MP2.. i think we are all waiting for marshalljmp to find us a solution for it!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

Are you sure the 5 band was a 100k and not a 10k?Check the color code or measure the resistance.
http://electrical-info.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/color-code.jpg

Should be possible to put in a rear jack if you have the room to put it in.I suggest using the schematic of the rear jack mod,should work.Putting a jack parallel to the front won't work since the front jack is grounded when nothing is plugged in.If you put one parallel to it it will also be grounded,that why you need the rear jack mod.

Do you have some pics of the inside of the soldano's input?

gb

Are you sure the 5 band was a 100k and not a 10k?Check the color code or measure the resistance.
http://electrical-info.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/color-code.jpg

Should be possible to put in a rear jack if you have the room to put it in.I suggest using the schematic of the rear jack mod,should work.Putting a jack parallel to the front won't work since the front jack is grounded when nothing is plugged in.If you put one parallel to it it will also be grounded,that why you need the rear jack mod.

Do you have some pics of the inside of the soldano's input?

Yes I did check the first resistor I used to make sure it was 100k so dunno what happened there  main thing its working.

I think the hum is a groundloop or coming from somewhere in the rack. Its more evident when the rack wah and tuner are used (im using the dry output from the wah to the tuner . Because when I use the the send loop from the ada is really noisey.) Ive tried the soldano with my other vht out if a rack and direct input and while there is a faint hum its bot like when in my rack wirh eveeything hooked up. So im going to assume that its more likely a rack issue not the soldano.. though the ada doesn't suffer this extra hum.. thats why I thought initially it was the soldano.. anyway the decimator looks after it. I think an issue ibhave is all the power adapters sitting near audio patch leads which is unavoidable. . When I move the power packs away from the patch leads you hear the hum chnage or go less. Might have to seperator the furman into another rack unit so tuw power packs can sit with it. Dunno..

Here is the input jack.

« Last Edit: Time Format by gb »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Are you using good quality patch leads ? If moving the power packs away reduces hum (noise induction), suggests the patch leads are picking up what they shouldn't.  While probably hard to do in a guitar rack set up, generally leads should cross at 90 deg to minimise induction, but that's generally for unshielded network cables. But ground loops are tricky. Rule of thumb is keep power and input leads away from each other as much as you can.

gb

Are you using good quality patch leads ? If moving the power packs away reduces hum (noise induction), suggests the patch leads are picking up what they shouldn't.  While probably hard to do in a guitar rack set up, generally leads should cross at 90 deg to minimise induction, but that's generally for unshielded network cables. But ground loops are tricky. Rule of thumb is keep power and input leads away from each other as much as you can.

yeah ive tried to seperate them. Can you recommend quality shielded patch leads? whether it be from OS or local. i think i should invest in some even if it doesnt entirely reduce it. i will have to work on keeping the power packs tied to the sides and away. perhaps the IEC extensions that come from the furman need to be longer in order for the power packs to sit away that way i can run the actualy power leads well away. Furman is at the top of the rack (due to the light it has that shines down).

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

I run a power board up one side of the rack (velcro'd to the side) at the back.  You'd either want to run your Furman from the power board or better, the power board (for the power packs) from one of the Furman outs. A mate of mine has bought cables here (http://www.artistguitars.com.au/shop/accessories/cables-leads/guitar-leads-cables/140502) and is very pleased.  Good patch leads will help!! well are fundamental really.

gb

Ok so I spent the last 3hrs trying to troubleshoot my noise issues. While I have the decimator id like to reduce as much noise naturally first. So I started withy soldano into power amp.. both isolated and not using furman. And other than typical shhhhhhhh noise with high gain there is no hum at all. Great!!!

Ok I started to add things to the mix.. next rack wah.. added a little hum but it has a ground lift switch which I pressed and now it was silent... great!!!! Then added my intellifex into the mix.. and still quiet. Theres a little more than the first shhhhh with eveeything in the mix but its pretty quiet without any help... Ok so evrything is in.. though the soldano and power amp are seperated from the rack while the rack wah and intellifex and furman are in the rack still. Next step plug everything into the furman.. still quiet.. great..!!

So now lets add the decimator to help with LOUD volumes being close to amp and to take out the shhhhhhh.  Done. I had to play with the ground lifts on the dec but it was quiet by the end.. now I noticed the thresholds for both channels on the decimator were much less than before.. ie not much required to clean it up which was great.. they were both on -40.. whereas before it was -28.. big difference

Ok so now when I put everything back in the rack ill have to make sure I maintain it.or make sure I isolate each component better.

Ok the spanner in the works.. korg dtr1 I just bought.. plug into power and a little hum starts.. plug from dry output of rack wah as this is the only signal out in this combo without putting the korg tuner in the signal chain.. a loud humm is now there!!!..I did read this is a known issue with the older korgs.. Im hoping with the expertise of the guys here perhaps is there a way to modify the korg to help with its ground loop issue?? It uses a 3 prong plug. . Though I read its dangerous to remove the earth pinI love that tuner however its causing me to go back to -28 threshold on the decimator to clean it up which leaves me with less sustain..Any ideas?

gb

Just to add that if I use my mp1 and use the loop send to the input of the korg tuner its still evident so I think the xomon issue ppl report is evident with my unit which I didn't notice before and just thought it was a ground loop when in the rack however it still hums isolated feom everything else

gb

More to add to th mind games.. I just tightened the screws on the decimator and a humm occurred.  If I remove one screw from the  rack it stops.. I noticed some of the finish has been scratched and when the screw touches it and the rail the hum occurrs.. ill ibhave to xover it with paint or tape..

Wow mind games.. lol I wont let it beat me!!!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Hey go George, your getting there.  Hey if you want a proper rack tuner go the Peterson strobe rack tuner (a bit expensive though ($550 ish ? IIRC), I use the Peterson strobo clip (here's the rack model for $400 US (https://www.petersontuners.com/index.cfm?category=135&action=itemView&itemID=6)).
IMHO, Loose the digital tuner (best thing you'll ever do  :thumb-up: , apart from the noise...), tune in real time with a strobe tuner, no dead zone, instant response, accurate to 1/10th cent try one you won't go back, particularly with the sweetend tunings.  The strobo clip is quite a bit cheaper (~$80) buy one from Melbourne (http://www.deluxeguitars.com.au/peterson-stroboclip.asp), great tuner, and clips on to my acoustics as well. I've used Korgs all my career and they have worked well, unfortunately no digital tuners (Roland IMHO is the worst) are very accurate (dead zones, i.e. if the sampled frequency is between x and y (the dead zone) glow green in tune lite...). So not only are they slow to respond (sample the note, compare to dead zone), they say they are in tune within a wider tolerance range.
Cheers R

gb

Thanks mate.. the dtr1 has a strobe tuner function in it. But if theres no solution for it I might have to sell it. I can't return it to my friend now and already invested in it  .. though I might have to sell the ada microcab too. I dont really have a need for it I went a little rack happy buying stuff..

So yes confirmed whwn 2 of the screws are tight on the decimator ibget a ground loop but if I loosen them a touch the hum goesiaway.

Really happy how quiet the whole thing is without the decimator which means it will only be used to get rid of the shhhhh and unwanted noise or feedback at liud volume etc

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Cool  :thumb-up: decimator screws are a worry though, they shouldn't be doing that.

gb

Cool  :thumb-up: decimator screws are a worry though, they shouldn't be doing that.

ive emailed korg to see what they say.

yeah i noticed in the screw holes of the decimator there is bare metal exposed and i think thats from me taking it in and out of different rack cases trying to work out a good solution haha it wasnt like that before when i first got it and never had the issue until i noticed tnight when the hum appeared with just the decimator in the rack and i went to move it by unscrewing it and the hum came and went .. so i pinpointed it ..

its funny . all these hums etc. im working through it though. Im really surprised how quiet it is now and i havent changed anything cept the tuner and the screws and also the combination of ground lifts on the rack wah and decimator .. silent without the decimator activated.. and the threshold for each channel is still at about -38 .. a big difference to before as in a cleaner signal.

i appreciate the discussions and im learning heaps!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up