ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mesa MKIII  (Read 5823 times)

Chamai

Mesa MKIII
« on: Time Format »

Hi guys,

just wondering if anyone of you have any experiences with these? i hate asking "is this a good amp question". But there is no way i can bring all my FX and pedals and cabs to try it out. found one at a local store for $799 CAD. i have a dual rec version 2 collecting dust and i might trade it in for that. i can't make out in the picture which version it is.

its got simul class, eq, and reverb. i have always been gasing for one these because of the mesa style crunch channel. i think it would match well with my jcm 800 running them in stereo. smaller head size is a plus so it sits nicely on top of my ADA rack.
ADA MP1/JCM800-- Fulltone TERC/ Eventide Eclipse /Lexicon PCM 81/ TC G Major. Marshall 9005 stereo/ (2) Rocktron 1x12 cabs
Amps:
Marshall JCM 800 100w on Orange 2x12
Marshall JCM 900 MKiii 50W 2x12
Mesa Dual Rectifier 100w on Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Guitars:
2008 Gibson Les Paul standard
2012 Fender American standard Telecaster
1984 Krammer ZX30H

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
Re: Mesa MKIII
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

The MkIII is a gain machine! Simul+EQ+Rev?!? Awesome!!
Which color dot/stripe does it have just above where the power cord enters the chassis?

Mark III

The Mark III was launched by Mesa/Boogie in 1985. It introduced a third channel, a "crunch" rhythm sound right in between the rhythm and lead channels. This amp has a dual footswitch system: one footswitch alternates between the current rhythm mode and the lead mode, and the other selects either the clean rhythm mode or the crunch rhythm mode. The two rhythm modes share all of their controls, while the lead mode only shares the rhythm modes' tone stack, featuring independent gain and master volume controls. The physical switch for the crunch rhythm mode was implemented as a push/pull switch above the Middle frequency control.
The Mark III went through multiple revisions, similar to the Mark II. Each revision had a slightly different voicing, but identical functionality. The amplifier had an aggressive voicing, and extreme brightness that is well suited for heavier music.

Black Stripe
These are distinguished by either the absence of a marking, a black dot, or a black marker stripe above the power cord entry. Early Black Stripes retained the same power transformer as the IIC+, which is easily distinguished by its larger physical size than the later-introduced Mark III transformer.

Purple Stripe
The second revision was the "Purple Stripe" Mark III, which featured a purple marker stripe above the power cord. This amplifier was voiced with a more mellow lead and crunch modes, with slightly reduced gain.

Red Stripe
The third revision was the "Red Stripe" Mark III which featured a red marker stripe above the power cord. The amplifier had increased gain over the purple stripe, and lead mode circuitry almost identical to the IIC+.

Blue Stripe
The fourth revision was the "Blue Stripe" Mark III which featured a blue marker stripe above the power cord. The amplifier was voiced so bright, it is considered to be the most aggressive Mark Series Boogie ever introduced. The power amp was also altered to mirror that of the IIC+.

Green Stripe
The final revision was the "Green Stripe" Mark III, which was only available in a Simul-Class format. It was identical to the Blue Stripe, except for the wiring of the Class A power amp tubes, which were switched to Pentode operation, for a 10W RMS increase over previous Simul-Class amplifiers.
Mesa ultimately ended the Mark III's production in the company's largest marketing failure, since it overlapped with production of its successor, the Mark IV, which was introduced in 1990. Mark III's were still in steady production around 1994, and finally ceased as late as 1997, 11 years after its launch.

Chamai

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

looks either black to me. unless it's a super dark purple.  the pics are not the best, i will call tomorrow.

not sure if it will be a good deal for me if i did a straight trade with my dual rec. paid $650 cad for it. well, paid 650 for my vintage modern and did a straight trade with some guy on craigslist.

ADA MP1/JCM800-- Fulltone TERC/ Eventide Eclipse /Lexicon PCM 81/ TC G Major. Marshall 9005 stereo/ (2) Rocktron 1x12 cabs
Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Hey Chamai, well if your dual rect thingy is gathering dust (ie not being use or exciting you..) and you can swap it for a "gain machine" (go SC  :thumb-up: great reply BTW almost got me interested in boogie stuff), sounds like a really good idea.  If you end up not liking it you can move it on  :thumb-up: , hey you're not using the dual rect thingy at the moment (aren't hey supposed to be really good  though  :dunno: ), so why not try something new(ish).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Chamai

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

just the called the store today, it was a green stripe. unfortunately, it is a consignment piece. so i cannot do a trade or anything. cash only.

i prob have to pass this time.

nothing wrong with the rec honestly, i was messing with it today. i just like a little more crunch than liquid type gain. i like my amps with more mids. it's a scooped sounding amp. love the chest hitting bass in palm mutes, but it doesn't stand out in a band mix.
Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

love the chest hitting bass in palm mutes, but it doesn't stand out in a band mix.
Man, do I hear you on that

That sir, is why I use my MP-1 Classic instead of my MP-2 as my main preamp these days. The ability to cut through the mix. I like it. I like it alot. I don't wanna be without it. Don't get me wrong, I love the luscious processed smoothness of the MP-2's gains...I do, but they do get lost sometimes in the mix of a band with big backup vocals and a keyboard player. Keys are always in our freqs and, consequently, it's tough to stand out against them IMHO.

Just try pumping your mids to counter the amps coloration, those mids make the tone cut. Scooping them sounds cool, until you go too far, then your signal and tone disappears. That's kinda how I adjust the EQ in the MP-2, I go too far and back it up a notch or two. Every freq.

I don't know about your MKIII, but my DC-5 had a strange EQ section. The Highs would somehow affect the gains, the whole tone section changed...it was tough to get my head around it. After a while, I just put tape on each guitar for the best settings in the amp and adjusted the knobs on the fly when I changed guitars.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

IIRC the main boogie tone stack is integrated in the preamp tube circuit, unlike the ADA preamps which do have eq adjustment in the voices but they are set to create the "voice" and the main tone stack/circuit is after the tubes.  Getting the boogie eq right is quite tricky as changing it changes the gain and little tweaks can make a BIG change..
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Chamai

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

it's tough dialing in boogies. unlike marshalls which you can get a decent sound just running everything at noon. but i have to say, mesa's quality is top notch. if the mk3 is still there by the end of the month, i may pick it up.

i would love to play a mp2 in person. ive only seen one for sale locally. i would of picked it up but the seller wanted to sell the rest of his gear as a whole package.
Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

The Mark series amps have their "initial" EQ pots before or in between the preamp gain stages. So with the B/M/T pots you basically shape the gain/distortion. The actual eq'ing is then done with the 5 band graphic sliders. (Same for the DC series).

That MkIII will give you THE John Sykes Whitesnake 1987 tone!

mqqse

« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Boogies and Marshalls, in my experience, rarely sound decent when set at noon across the board.   Maybe it's my guitars, but bass is always set at 10 o'clock or less, same with the treble.
Pages: [1]   Go Up