ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Your thoughts on MP-2  (Read 11328 times)

rickeb1

Your thoughts on MP-2
« on: Time Format »

I currently have a 3TM modded MP-1, and while I really love the high gain tones and the solid-state cleans, I really don't love any of the tones in between.  So, I've been thinking of trying to get an MP-2.  I don't play metal and don't need that level of gain; I'm more in the camp of ZZ Top, AC/DC, Clapton, Moore, Blackmore, etc.  My concern is if the MP-2 has enough gain for this style of playing.  Aside from that, I've read others post where folks say they are able to get good Fender-y cleans from it, which would make it a lot more flexible than the 3TM which I don't think does that kind of tone at all.

I'd love to get your thoughts on how the MP-2 stacks up versus the 3TM in terms of having sufficient gain and more flexibility in tones, especially the crunch/in-between/edge-of-breakup classic rock tones.

Thanks!

~ Rick

kawai2g4b

Re: Your thoughts on MP-2
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

I can definitely vouch for the versatility of the MP2.  I will definitely say to get a noise mod for it though.  I have used mine to record dirty funk lines, perhaps along the tonal lines of the "Waiting for the Bus" rhythm riff and it turned out very very well.
Pearce G2R with ADA TFX4 in loop.
ADA MB-1/B500B
And other non ADA stuff.

Kawai AQ-500 guitar, Korean Fender Lite Ash Strat, Electra X930 MPC modded, G&L L2K basses, Peavey T40, Fernandes basses.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

IMHO, the MP-2 has the cleanest CLEAN sound of any of the ADA preamps. You never need to worry about whether the MP-2 has 'enough' gain, it has too much...if you let it. I can get a subtle grind or over-the-top fuzz and everything in between. The MP-2 is a very very versatile unit.

I don't play metal and don't need that level of gain; I'm more in the camp of ZZ Top, AC/DC, Clapton, Moore, Blackmore, etc.
Judging by this description, you may be happier with an MP-1 Classic. There is one major advantage the Classic has over the MP-2, that being the responsiveness to picking attack. I find it much more difficult to get my MP-2 to respond to picking attack than the Classic. With the Classic, it performs more like a real amp in that way, just pick softer and the tone cleans up nicely.

rickeb1

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Guys, thanks for the replies!  I just won an eBay auction for an MP-2, and I am stoked to get it! 

For the noise mod, how do I go about getting it?  I have 0 electronic or soldering skills, so I would either have to send the unit off to someone (MarshallJMP?) or get the parts and instructions and hire someone to do it.

Thanks!

~ Rick

kawai2g4b

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

What country are you in?  Depending on your options, getting instructions and passing them on to the repairman would be preferable if you are in the US.  I am about to send my backup one for some extensive mods to be done by a guy in my area.  He is going to do mass component upgrades in addition to a noise and hum fix.  I'll keep you posted when I get it back.
Pearce G2R with ADA TFX4 in loop.
ADA MB-1/B500B
And other non ADA stuff.

Kawai AQ-500 guitar, Korean Fender Lite Ash Strat, Electra X930 MPC modded, G&L L2K basses, Peavey T40, Fernandes basses.

rickeb1

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

I am in the US, about midway between Chicago and Milwaukee.  Thanks!

El Chiguete

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

I can get those tones from a stock MP-1.
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Hey El, have you ever got to try a MP2 (preferably with long p Mullards lol)? It's a very different beast than the MP1 (not that you can't get the tones BTW, and hey Paul Guilbert on Mr Big Lean into it etc.. what a preamp). But then came MP2 mmmm (and so many convenient features (cab sims, CC control...)).  I say this partly coz how you were feeling about the speaker change (not wanting to play (through the old ones) until they come). To me (and each to their own), it's similar to MP1 to MP2, I'm happy to play through either, both great preamps, make me choose.. MP2, though I'd happily keep a MP1 as a patch alternative (MP3...should have both and more  >:D )
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

I use both (switched by a rocktron patchmate).The mp-1 3TM for the dirty tones and the mp-2 for cleans.Have you tried to use the clean tube (3TM) for lower gain sounds?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

I don't play metal and don't need that level of gain; I'm more in the camp of ZZ Top, AC/DC, Clapton, Moore, Blackmore, etc.
Judging by this description, you may be happier with an MP-1 Classic. There is one major advantage the Classic has over the MP-2, that being the responsiveness to picking attack. I find it much more difficult to get my MP-2 to respond to picking attack than the Classic. With the Classic, it performs more like a real amp in that way, just pick softer and the tone cleans up nicely.
Hey Dante, try some Mullard long plates in your MP2 (sorry I rave on about them..) they will give you just what you are describing with picking attack (they reflect every subtle picking variation beautifully (stay with hard pick, just play lighter and a bit more relaxed to get softer attack), and they also track every slight change in pressure of your finger(s) on the frets).  I used to do squeals by leading with my RH index finger nail and following with the pick, some get them by following the pick with their thumb, I now get the squeals just with the pick (probably have for quite a while now), but the MP2 + Mullards squeal beautifully  :thumb-up: My posted MP2 rhythm patch is perfect for the above bands BTW (you may want to reduce the gain for AC/DC, they don't use much distortion (comparatively))

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Thanks for the tip, Richard! I will definitely try those toobs. That's really  the only knock I've ever had on the MP-2....and that's saying a LOT.

BTW: I belong to the 'use the thumb after the pick' school of pinch harmonics  :thumb-up:

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Thanks for the tip, Richard! I will definitely try those toobs. That's really  the only knock I've ever had on the MP-2....and that's saying a LOT.

BTW: I belong to the 'use the thumb after the pick' school of pinch harmonics  :thumb-up:

IIRC I also recommended them Mullards when you got your DC-5...together with the TungSol 6L6GC STRs for the power amp stage

I do my pinch harmonics with thumb and pick at once (pick angle slightly altered)
« Last Edit: Time Format by Systematic Chaos »

Ekornbakke

« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Guys, thanks for the replies!  I just won an eBay auction for an MP-2, and I am stoked to get it!

Congrats on the MP-2 :metal:
As for the noise-mod: it is true that this mod could be useful since the MP-2 is capable of making INSANE levels of noise if programmed out of its comfort zone. This is easier explained once you get the unit, but the short tip is that it is very possible to achieve more than acceptable noise levels, even without the mod, if keeping the patches a certain way. I have all the parts for the noise mod myself, but didn't send it to a tech to make yet.

With other units, you may be used to tweak around on the settings to try different levels of gain and overdrive etc. That seems not to work at all with the MP-2 as the noise levels easily just explode. I found that stuff very strange and surprising myself to begin with. Instead, it has a whole bunch of different tube voicings, in fact ten different styles! Choosing the best suited voicing to start with will almost get you there in the first place, and a little tweaking could also be fine from there.

After learning this I have decided to wait with the noise mod,  but of course keeping the option ready.

Disclaimer:  :nono: Other users may have a totally diffferent opinion on these matters, and it could very well be that different units behave very differently in wiew of its tubes or general condition etc etc.

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Hey Ekornbakke!

That still that (my old spare) MP-2 I sold you 4-5 years ago??
Glad to hear she's still going strong (even without the noise mod)!!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

I've got the noise mod parts on the way for both my MP2s and a display for the older one, again one of the first MP2s to get to Australia (although my first MP2 failed at the first gig  :facepalm: (luckily MikeB had bought my old MP1 and lived around the corner, saved the night (many thanks Mike  :thumb-up: ))). I'll definitely do the display straight up as it's going a little dim these days.  Since I now use voice 5 warm vintage for my main tone (rhythm and lead) I don't find it to noisy and don't need the gate. My old rhythm sound is voice 10 High Gain, it needs the gate  >:D . It will be interesting to hear how much the noise mod affects that patch.
As Ekornblakke says, the 10 voices are a good start on their own and just need minor tweaks. Also good to remember with eq, and MP 2 has a bunch of eq  >:D , if you boost a bit then cut a bit so the gain structure stays the same (in eq = out eq overall volts wise).
Tube choice and PUs can also make a big difference.
I'm thinking to noise mod my studio racked MP2 first.

Disclaimer LOL:  :nono: that's one of the great things about this forum, lots of different opinions, so tell us what YOU think after playing with it a bit  :banana: There are so many options with MP1/2, here we help each other explore them  :thumb-up: :whoohoo!:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up