Let's Get Technical > Schematics & Modifications (mods)

SS Gain Mod for MP1

<< < (2/6) > >>

rabidgerry:

--- Quote from: Systematic Chaos on December 15, 2014, 07:06:46 AM ---You might wanna contact MJMP....these instructions are a bit older and the Stock Gain mod got some more updates/mods since then (new revision of stock gain mod -> MP-1 Super-Stock
MJMP offers it also as completely new modded tubeboards with far superior components (higher quality caps, resistors and tube sockets).

If you´re already in for the MDRT upgrade, do it all together with the new revision of the noise mod as well.

--- End quote ---

I had asked him in an email about FET Buffer.

He has responded here

--- Quote from: MarshallJMP on December 15, 2014, 01:04:54 PM ---Don't bypass it,it has no use at all.

--- End quote ---

ok I wont bypass it, thanks.

Does anyone like this mod?  Only seems like 3TM gets mentioned about here, and occasionally the MOD 3.666.

I have 3TM Covered as I'm buying the one up for sale in the for sale section.  I just wanted to make the other mp1 different, and SS seems different.

Worth doing the noise mod at the same time then?

MarshallJMP:
Ask MikeB,i sold him a SS kit a few weeks ago.

MikeB:
Ok, so here's my two cents worth....
My understanding is that the SS mod by itself is not a gain mod.  (MJMP correct me if I'm wrong).  I asked specifically for one without the gain mod included because I want to keep my clean tones clean.

A bit of history first...
My mp1 started blowing tubes and so i took the plunge that it was something on the tube board and bought a replacement from MJMP's mod shop.  I did include the noise mod, so he sent me a beautiful new tube board and a whole slew of bits and pieces to replace on the main board. 

When I put it all back together it was a different beast.  I was getting waaay more gain and some high pitched whistling on some of the patches.  I can only guess that the old tube board was fading gradually over time and that my patches were creeping up to compensate.  I most likely didn't notice this because I went through a long period playing mostly my Marshall.  I finally got around to getting some rack effects gear (TC g-major 2) and then re-did all my patches anyway.  Perhaps because of this I didn't notice the gradual loss of gain.  So, once it was all fixed, it blew me away.  I actually had a patch with OD1 and OD2 both on 10 and I wasn't getting any noise at all!! 

Needless to say, the 10, 10 patch is now extremely noisy and is the one that has the high pitched whistling.  In fact, that patch no longer exists.  I have pegged them all back a bit.  And this is without including the gain mod.  I have more noise now after having done the noise mod than I ever did before, but that would be because of the lost/found gain.

So, in answer to your question, I can't really provide you with a before and after snapshot of the SS mod.  I can tell you that it sounds great after, but I am now thinking that I am going to have to pick up a noise gate.

I've just re-read all of this and realised that I have taken up lots of space not saying much at all.  Sorry I can't really help you.
It has, however, helped me. This is like therapy.  I feel great.  I think I just need to get it all out.  Thanks!!

Systematic Chaos:
The Super Stock aka Stock Gain Mod is not that different than the original....which is its intention. Offer more gain (dooooh) while retaining the characteristic MP-1 tone. (BTW, MJMP pls correct me if im wrong.......).
If you´re in for sth "different" I´d recommend the 3.666 or the 3.1 (MJMPs new revision incl new tube board).
MDRT is a vast improvement and I can highly recommend that! As is the new rev of the noise mod.
Also changimg the OD OpAmp to a BurrBrown OPA2604. It adds a tad bit more dynamics and tubey-like warmth....

Just my 2 €-cents and findings I´ve had with my MP-1s  :thumb-up:

BTW, the rev of the 3.1 with the MDRT MJMP did for me in 2009 took it to a more SLO'ish/CAE 3+ character....I liked it a lot!
And the Clean Tube got better as well ;-)

MarshallJMP:
Well the SS mod can be orderd as a standard gain and as an increased gain board.But i usually sell the standard ones because in 90% of the cases these have enough gain unless you have very low output PU's.The SS mod is almost identical to the original except for about 10 caps that have a different value,mostly for tone and noise changes.It makes the tone a bit tighter and brings the noise down compared to the original board but retains the original sound.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version