ADA Preamps > MB-1

Good cab matches for MB-1 into B500B rig

(1/3) > >>

kawai2g4b:
Hey again guys,

As I have mentioned already I purchased an MB-1 recently that had some maintenance issues.  Well, those are about to be taken care of so the next step for me would be to match up a cabinet(s).  Right now my setup is optimized for either my Hartke 3500 or my Music Man HD130 head.  Both of those amps are VERY different from one another and the MB-1 should cover both grounds.  Does anybody have any suggestions for good cabs that mate well with it?

rnolan:
I recon a pair of older EV 15" TL boxes would work well (although no tweeter).  The 15s are 400w 8 ohm which will probably match well with the B500.  They are heavy boxes though.  Peter will know better than me I imagine being an avid MB1 user.

kawai2g4b:
Ah, you have pointed out my hidden agenda!   ;D  I have an old ported Music Man 1X15 cab with no speaker in it so it may be time to load it with a good 15", I'll be checking the MM forums for suggestions for that.  The big thing is I have a more modern bass style a'la Primus/Spin Doctors so a good 2X10 with strong attack would be preferred.  That is if I decide to reload the MM cab.

I trust you on the EV recommendation.  I used an old EV 2X15 cabinet at one time.  It sounded great but could not fit in the smaller vehicle that I ended up buying.  I'll spy on Craigslist for a good one.

rnolan:
I have a EV 3 way TL PA box which I recently had the 15 re coned, great box I've used it for 25 years or so (then drummer fried the 15, thanks NOT), cost heaps $400 AUD to recone but now sounds great again, the EV 15s are very good speakers.  Are you going to run stereo ? which is why I thought 2 EV TLs would be good.  Size is always an issue, I used to mix this band where the bass player had a bass box from a cinema, could only use it when they took out the truck.  A stereo 4 x 10 box may be a good option.  Or in mono, maybe go for the MM box reloaded (Altec 15 or EV 15 or JBL 15 probably all work well) and a 2 x 10 box on top, boogie used to do a 2 x 10 with a bullet tweeter.

kawai2g4b:
Considering cost, reloading the MM is my best bet at this point.  I normally use a Carvin Red Line 4X10, not the greatest thing ever invented but it works well.  The only issue is that the cab doesn't handle anything passably below drop D.  Since I have 2 6 string basses, I need the range.  I need to keep an eye out for the Boogies, though I never see them pop up locally, seems most people around here keep theirs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version