Let's Get Technical > Troubleshooting Problems

Latency with SPX90

(1/3) > >>

Chip Roberts:
I recently completed my Rack of Back with an SPX90II (new battery), but at rehearsal I noticed about a half second of latency between patches when using it with my footswitch.  Any idea what might be causing this?

I have it going MP1 - MIDI Thru - SPX90 - MIDI In

rnolan:
Hey Chip, a bit of a guess  :dunno: , I remember a time (and it's from the era of the SPX90)when you sometimes had to program some midi latency to get certain devices to play (behave) with each other (this is back in the Atari sequencing days using Quebase or Notator and Alesis drum machines and Korg MOne Keyboards etc. recording analog was still using tape with a SMPTE track on the tape to lock them together).  Now I have an original SPX90 and never midi'd it up, just changed programs on the front.  However, yours is a later variant and "may" (pure guess here BTW) have midi latency options in the menu some where (worth a look).  Otherwise, it should change ~instantly given you are feeding it from midi through (unless the MP-1 has latency options for the midi through which I don't recall it does).
Then again, it may just be that gadgets from that era didn't react as fast ?? but half a second is allot.  That said, the original MP-2 had quite a lag between program changes which ADA fixed with a firmware upgrade.

It may also be program dependent, i.e. if you change from a big reverb/delay whatever, the SPX may delay the change until the tail of the signal/effect is finished so you don't get a glitch (smoothness)??

vansinn:
The MP-1 has no programmable options for MIDI-through; it's purely MIDI-in with an analog buffer.
To my memory, the SPX90 doesn't delay midi switching based on effects, but don't take my word for it..
Sounds fair that it could be a matter programed latency for matching other gear; interesting..

MikeB:
When I first patched in my gmajor2 i went to its midi in and through to the mp1.  There was a lag so I changed it to go into the mp1 and through to the gmajor2. Now it's fine. I don't think your problem is in the mp1.

Chip Roberts:
Mike,

So if I'm understanding correctly, you're saying just plug my footswitch into the Yamaha and then that'll talk to the MP1 versus the other way around?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version