Miscellaneous > Recording - Studio Talk

Re: Hendrix/ Analog Tape info

(1/4) > >>

vansinn:
Yeah, I know, though didn't know the specific gear used on those recordings.
Nope, not keen enough to start buying such expensive gear 'just' for those otherwise beloved songs.

Later (provided I survive financially), I might build a few pieces of tube gear, like a tube comp and EQ, for partially achieving those old-school sounds.
Don't think I'll ever shop a used Studer - if tapes are even available. However, tapes depending, I think dropping the down-mixed stereo to, say, just 1/4" tape at high speed and back, might at least partially recreate some of that vibe, at least better than digital plugin simulations.
And then finish with the mastering session.

It's fun, this thing about analog vs digital..
I hear lots of old-school stuff that weren't done to the same standards as modern stuff, but on the other hand often sounds decently more authentic.
Ideally, I'd love a small scale home hybrid analog/digital studio where I could decide where and when to this or that part on analog or digital as I'd see most fitting..

Harley Hexxe:
Hey Sinn,

Yeah, tape is still available, I usually have to order from a warehouse though.
   I do still have a couple of tape decks, and I can use them for the same thing as you are talking about, to get that tape compression and warmth.
   There are a few tube units being made today that are cheap, ART is making a tube mic preamp, but I have serious doubts if it comes close to the old school stuff. The way they process signal in the new units is way different than the old in one sense: when the signal comes into the unit balanced, it is then processed unbalanced through the units, then phase-reversed at the output, to a balanced plug. In the old gear, the signal remains balanced all the way through. ( Two signal paths out of phase ).

vansinn:
Interesting [about the mics]; I haven't looked that much into this..
Haha, I once saw someone on alt.rec.audio.pro (IIRC) write "What do you get out of a tube mic?", with the answer "It avoids condensation in cold weather!" ;)

I also find it interesting looking at just how much electronics goes into, say, an opamp. All those circuits doing feedback, stabilization and compensation.. which is of course very sexy for a general purpose building block, but still.. it just doesn't beat the principle of direct signal paths with as little as possible in it, featuring very little negative feedback.

Good to know tapes are still available, but are those actually still being manufactured?  I believe they were almost extinct some years ago, so, production taken up again?  Part of an analog revival?
(mmnn.. maybe Agfa will start producing Ultra 50 camera film again)

I resently sold a copy of a Jean Hiraga amp with multi-emitter Sanken transistors; very direct signal path and with the Sankens, boy, can it drive a speaker. So, I'm thinking, same thing with other gear.
Maybe getting somewhat OT, but oh well..

rnolan:
While there's still a demand for tape it will be available (like tubes in some ways), you can still buy (as far as I know  :dunno: ) Ampex 456 for your various reel to reel needs (2", 1/2", 1/4").  Tape is still a great format depending what you want to do.  Resolution wise it's way better than digital until you get into Sony super audio (2GHz sampling ie flat to 100khz).  Dynamic range is more limited on tape but then depends on the program material, how much do you need?  Moreover, the A/D D/A convertors in most gear is pretty ordinary (this doesn't help the format debate..) eg 192khz 24 bit should be pretty good, hasn't got a patch on tape to my ears..

And rather than dither you 48khz 24 bit mix (generally a "nice" format) to CD quality (44.1khz 16 bit  :facepalm: such a crap format..), send it to decent tape (I use my Nakamichi cassette deck) and then re-sample (it will sound better  :thumb-up: )

Harley Hexxe:
Richard,

The dynamic range on tape is just fine, or else how would you explain all the great music we grew up listening to?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version