Non ADA Gear > Speakers & Cabinets

MP-1 Speaker Suggestions

<< < (2/4) > >>

Dante:

--- Quote from: Griphook on November 29, 2016, 02:38:07 AM ---For my home rig I have a closed 2x12 G12k-85 Cabinet.
I also like that ones too. They are a bit warmer and they deliver a little more pressure, due to the completely closed cabinet. I like them more for their Clean- and Low-Gain Response

--- End quote ---

I'm looking for a pair of warmer speakers for my 4x12 (not right away, just thinking ahead). I have noticed myself turning the presence down on a lot of patches since I got the cab, that tells me it is a bit brighter than my 1x12s. So....I'll compromise and try a pair of something else. Thanks for posting about these, I'll look into them.

I'm also going to YouTube to check out those videos

Kim:
That Youtube speaker comparison was pretty interesting.  (I didn't make it all the way through yet, though.)  I wonder if Johan mentions anything about the new speakers still being "new" or have they already been "worn in"?  That would make a significant difference in the sound as well.

"Harsh" sounding speakers can settle down a bit after a fair amount of use at higher volumes.  That said, if I'm using new speakers I won't make a judgement on them for some time unless they are really obvious that I won't get along with them.  If I get used speakers then I'll be quicker to judge them as to if they are what I'm looking for.

vansinn:
Fully agree on speakers needing some play-in time; same thing with headphones.
Took me some two-three weeks with my Mackie HR-624 MKII studio monitors.

Hehe, an easy way to do this is simpy using a small transformer with a single diode halfwave rectifier and a capacitor, resulting in a 50/60 Hz semi-sine wave. Do this for a few hours, and follow up with a white noise generator to cover the full spectrum - but do expect neighbors going mad, as high white noise levels is actually used for torture.. C:-) >:D :nono:

I'll ask Johan if those speakers were properly massaged before the tests..
One of them sounded a Bit harch to me, and the Creamback sounded more laid-back than Creamy to my ears.
Interestingly, in Slimjim's resent post in here (the Ibby post), the Creamback part sounds just like I would've expected a Creamy backed speaker to render, so..

Slimjim:
Drop tune songs love the cremeback speaker, no doubt. The g12h-55 her greenback is also a unique voice, at first it was unruley until I tried that with the Peavey Classic 50/50 el84 amp, used the pres and res controls to tame the tones, I liked what it did for the amp.

If we could really frame the answer around that amp and emg 81 pickup, you would end up with some great options that also play cleans if the creme 65 and green 55 (those are hz #s which define how low of freq the speakers reproduce). This would also help the mp-1 reproduce the low drop tunings use.

I believe the OP was using the PV Classic 50/50 and EMG81 w/MP-1. LOADS of fun... The Blue is the one speaker that impressed me and pleased me for clean tones, for which it is often used. If you never play cleans, then the blue is avoidable and the crushers are nice. That's why I use the Eminence TeX Heat, it has that tone built in. Its sterility makes it not the best option for warm classic leads, again the creme and green sufrace as top picks.

Slimjim:
Huge disclaimer: I separated those 2 speakers because I would lose all bottom end to phase cancels on a Recto circuit. The dual rec is feisty... and caused me to put these two on dif amps, as shown in SIG.

The 50/50 can shape output, with pres & res  So please take w/grain of salt.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version