Let's Get Technical > Schematics & Modifications (mods)

MP-1 Tone Signature Mod descriptions

<< < (2/7) > >>

Harley Hexxe:
Hi jgd,

The 3TM has LOADS of gain. The only way to get any clean sounds from it is with the SS voicing.
    I totally get what you mean by the palm-mute tightness, and it is possible with the 3TM to get close to the more modern low end 'chunk,' but you have to spend some time with the EQ and the OD1 and OD2 to get the right balance.

Harley 8)

jgd:
Ok, thanks.
Well, I actually don't need LOADS of gain.
I think the stock MP 1 had more than enough gain.
I never get these "more gain kinda mods" anyhow.
I mean, come who puts the gain on 10 anyhow.
I currently have OD1 on something like 4.4/4.6 and OD2 on 5.
That, with EMG's, and the original tubes, is enough gain for me.
I found out that keepin' OD1 somewhere around 4, also adds tightness in the bass.

I really bought it for a Metallica-ish tone. (Master, Justice, Black era).
And that tone doesn't have that much gain anyhow, you know, just enough.
Keepin'the character of the guitar clear and open.

So, thanks.
If the 3TM bring a bit more tightness, thats awesome.
Im gonna try one out somewehere next week, at MarshallJMP's place.

rnolan:
You can change the bass centre frequency to be a bit lower (which sounds like it may help get the tone you want), there's some posts elsewhere hear about that but if you are going to MJMPs, take your MP1 with you and ask him about it.  Be good to get him to check it out for you as well...

Harley Hexxe:
Hey jgd,

I agree with Richard, if you are going over to MJMP's place, then HE is the one who can tell you exactly the state of your MP-1. There is no one better for that :thumb-up:

As for the more gain mods, I guess it's a matter of taste. I also believe there is plenty of gain in a stock MP-1, but I have a 3TM also. So the way I'm using that is with my MP-1 in the same rack, and if I'm in a song that has a dirty rhythm part and want to go to a solo over that and have the solo cut through the mix, I use the 3TM. It's similar to my two smaller racks which have a Classic in one, and MP-2 in the other.
   Honestly, I could get by with the MP-2 instead of the 3TM for super high gain. It does everything from vintage gain to modern, and all points in between.

Harley 8)

jgd:
What are the effects tone-wise?
So besides apparantly buckets of gain?
Is it also an improvement tone-wise?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version