Miscellaneous > Discussions

Marshall amplifier Question

(1/7) > >>

Rusty:
Hey fellow ADA'ers, I have a genuine question to ask you's?

What should I do?

I have a Marshall 9100 50/50 that I never use. I know that it's a very good amplifier and I don't know what to do with it.
I have the Marshall 80/80 valvestate in my rack.

Do any of you's think that I should sell the 9100 or should I keep it?

Would it sound better in my set-up as its all valve?

Any thoughts please as I'm not tuned in here?  :)

(edit) I aready sold the 20/20 in the photograph as it was too hot to rack mount underneath any of my other units. In fact, I toasted a brand new G major 2 with it racked 1 for 1 and that lesson cost me dearly.  :-[

But back to the point, should I keep the 9100?,   I don't know what to do with it? Would it sound better than the valvestate 80/80. ?

DorsetRatt:
Hey Rusty,

I used to have the 9100 ...

do I regret selling it? ... yes.

why did I sell it? ... a moment of madness cos I didn't like the gold colour.

would I own another one? ... yes, as long as I didn't have to carry it on a daily basis.

does it sound better than the valvestate? ... just my opinion, very much better.

El Chiguete:
Once I heard that the 9100 tend to brake down a lot, is this true?

Soloist:
While the dual mono block 9100 is a beast in size and weight, it is also a beast when it comes to tone! :bow:
If you like that Marshall power amp tube coloration you wont find it in the vavlestate. I would run the 9100, even if it meant busting my ass lugging it around!!

--- Quote from: El Chiguete on October 11, 2015, 07:22:52 PM ---Once I heard that the 9100 tend to brake down a lot, is this true?

--- End quote ---
Not nearly as much as a Mesa 2:90 :lol:

rabidgerry:
Rusty try them out and see what you think?  I use solid state with mine pres and no one has ever said it sounded shit.

The valve heads are gonna jump on any minute now and say hand onto the 9100 but in all honesty mate, it's down to your ears and then practicality, or if it comes to it perhaps practicality.  Are you planning on gigging either and traveling far with them?

If so I'd hang onto the 9100 unless you need the cash or its just taking up room.  Probably flog it for a good bit I imagine as well.

Mate whats that 80/80 like its the 8008 right?  I heard it has a circuit in there to add some "valve" colouration?  You tried any pre through that option?  it's got a linear mode / vstate mode selector on the back.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version