ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: midi controlled mixer  (Read 7147 times)

kittykatori

midi controlled mixer
« on: Time Format »

Hi all

Does anyone know of a small hardware mixer or preamp that can be midi controlled? I'd prefer a rackmount, but I can hack a non-rackmount to make it rackmount if needed.

Basically, I need an audio volume control that I can use a midi pedal to control in real time, and it needs to be standalone. I need at least 6 channels, but I don't mind having 6 units if they are preamps and not a mixer or multi-input unit. I see lots of DAW controllers that would work but this needs to be self-contained for stage use, not hooked into a computer.

Thanks,
Alex

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: midi controlled mixer
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Can you tell us a bit more what you are trying to make?Why 6 volumes?

kittykatori

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

I have multiple effects that I want to bring in and out of the mix using a midi pedal instead of running a dozen audio cables back and forth to my footswitches. If each effect is on a channel that I can control with a volume/expression pedal, I can mix that signal back into a master output. So, each channel would work like this, for each effect:

Audio in -> midi pedal controlled preamp -> effect -> mixer input -> amp

I do this so that effects don't "click off" when I disable them. For example, a digital delay will click off completely when using a regular on/off switch but will decay naturally the way I do it. I've done this with regular audio volume pedals but want to convert it to a single midi cable on stage.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Ah okay see what you mean.Now i never came across something like what you're looking for.Now these days with those effect processors you can do that without any problems but i guess you want to keep the pedals you have now?

kittykatori

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

I haven't seen any effects that the input volume was controllable by midi. I've seen some that the patches are controlled by midi, but those appear to be simply patch switching rather than volume adjustments. Plus, I don't want a multi-effect, I already use a GSP21, but separate units that I can choose based on the unit itself. The GSP tube overdrive is good but the compressor is noisy and you can hear the digital chunks in the delay. So a multi-unit doesn't work too well for me.

I like my setup, but it currently involves a dozen 25' audio cables snaking back and forth between the pedalboard and rack. Switching to midi will let me replace those cables with one thin midi cable.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Audio in -> midi pedal controlled preamp -> effect -> mixer input -> amp

One problem, How to get one expression pedal (CC pedal) to be assigned to each FX pedal vol. CC pedals and switches are assigned a controller number, and in the unit that's receiving the change data you assign that controller no to a parameter, this is usually a global setting so how to change assignment to the various input volumes on the fly ?  If each mixer channel can be controlled by CC you'd need a separate CC pedal for each one with different controller numbers and corresponding assignments.

Some of the new digital mixers may be able to do sort of what you want ?  The have very flexible routing and CC control ? But then they have all the FX you want built in.  If you assign all the pedal FX retn chs to a stereo sub group, assign the CC pedal to control the sub group vol, and store a mix patch with the ch vols set how you want, then change patch will set up the vol of the various pedal combinations and the CC pedal controls the vol of the mix of these to the main mix
« Last Edit: Time Format by rnolan »
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Maybe this might be something for you?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NICHE-AUDIO-CONTROL-MODULE-FOR-AUTOMATION-FREE-FREIGHT-USA-/281939604517?hash=item41a4e8f425:g:~v8AAOSwll1WxnTD

kittykatori

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Yes! That is exactly what I am looking for! Only, it appears it's no longer being made. Oh well. But it looks like there are people selling them used on various sites, so I'll check one out!

Thanks!!

El Chiguete

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

How about the Effects Gizmo or the Mini Effects Gizmo from RJM? http://www.rjmmusic.com/
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

How about the Effects Gizmo or the Mini Effects Gizmo from RJM? http://www.rjmmusic.com/

Wow, that thing looks AWESOME

Thanks El!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

This is a switcher ,no?

kittykatori

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Yep, it looks like just a midi-based switcher. I need variable volume adjustments per input channel. Everyone does in the studio what I replicate on stage. It's just weird that the entire music world never thinks to offer a setup like this. The only other player I've seen who does it this way is Steve Morse, but he still uses cables to connect his volume pedals. By making it all midi-controlled, you preserve your audio signal by not having it travel an additional 480 feet between your guitar and amp.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

So did you found one of those Niche controllers?
Pages: [1]   Go Up