ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Michael Wagener interview/Reverb 2016  (Read 10960 times)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: Michael Wagener interview/Reverb 2016
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

Yes Harley, that's true, but I never liked that much reverb on a drum, it just sounds too much.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

@Harley,

yeah Electric Eye Halford has some weird effect on there.  I'm not sure what it is.  I know what it reminds me off though.  When I was  akid there was a Transformer cartoon, and their voices had similar effects on there.  This is what this effect on the vocal reminds me off.

Again I have no problem with this because it's just one of those artistic things you might want to do to suit the vibe or subject of the song.

Priest liked effects.  If you listen to ""Stained Class" there are alot off effects used in that also.  Again one of the reasons perhaps for this was to do with the fact that quite  alot of their lyrical content was science fiction based.  Halford has said many times this kind of thing inspired his lyrics.  I personally have no problem with this.  I've heard Halford sing and a Harmonizer type thing on his vocal before.  Didn't always work.

@ MJMP so you like "Screamin" (one of my fav albums BTW) but don't mind the effects?  But you're preference for production is something along the lines of Point of Entry (the bulk off it) and British Steel?  Ok well I like them also.

Bloodstone if a great track but can't deny there is shit loads of effects on that production, compared to say Breakin the Law or Grinder (what a song btw).

I just happen to like the juicer more effect drive production also.  I like that Priest experimented.  Samples and all sorts of things (knives and forks in a drawer for example in "Metal Gods").  They were trying to make music larger than life, give your imagination something to feed on I guess.

Like the opening of this track for example of their 3rd album, weird effects before BAM!!!  Super epic heavy metal!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gjsn7aLPgCM

Hard for me to not like anything, I'm too big a fan
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

Another great Priest song !!

uraniumwilly

« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

More recent interview stuff of his... this time from Tape Op. I thought his use of the MP-1 into a more consumer oriented (albeit high end) amplifier interesting. I'll re-type the MP-1 stuff he spoke about:

Q: "...After that you were an early adopter of ADA's MP-1 preamp for guitar.

A: I used it on White Lion, Skid Row, and Extreme. The MP-1 has a +4 output. I would run it into a solid McIntosh hifi power amp with a -10 input, so there was some distortion. That powered a Marshall cabinet with 30 watt Celestions. Everyboyd used the exact same preset on the ADA, and everybody sounded completely different. The preset was #45. We used other gear on the way back in, like the Urei 535 stereo graphic equalizer. It made the sound better, even if it was flat. And then we would go through the BBE802 Sonic Maximizer. For guitars I actually like tape because it rounds off those nasty edges that some output transformers create. Today I use the Cranesong HEDD on my guitar chain to simulate tape..."

https://tapeop.com/interviews/124/michael-wagener/
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up