ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New Preamp Pedal underway  (Read 6102 times)

Ludachris0606

• Rack Attack
New Preamp Pedal underway
« on: Time Format »

Saw this on the ADA Faceb**k page and thought it'd be appropriate to share here.
New preamp pedal underway and they're looking for input...
Check it out and what do you guys think?

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/what-would-you-add-to-our-new-ada-pedal-preamp.1842571/#post-24410970
« Last Edit: Time Format by Ludachris0606 »
RACK
Furman>ADA MP-1>BBE 462>TC G Major>Peavey 50/50
(Rocktron Midi Mate Controlled)

AMPS
Splawn Quickrod 50w ('14)
EVH Lbx III Lunchbox
Fender Deluxe 90dsp
Roland Cube lite

CABS
Marshall 1936 w/ JCM800 era g12t-75s
EVH 112

GEETARS
Charvel USA San Dimas (Seasick Green - Custom Custom & '59)
Fender Am. Strat - 60th Anniv. (Olympic White - Black pickguard)
Yamaha Pacifica 521 HSS ("Silver Bullet" - EMG 81/SA/SA)

PEDALS
Too many

Chamai

Re: New Preamp Pedal underway
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

I wish they would bring back the rack format.
ADA MP1/JCM800-- Fulltone TERC/ Eventide Eclipse /Lexicon PCM 81/ TC G Major. Marshall 9005 stereo/ (2) Rocktron 1x12 cabs
Amps:
Marshall JCM 800 100w on Orange 2x12
Marshall JCM 900 MKiii 50W 2x12
Mesa Dual Rectifier 100w on Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Guitars:
2008 Gibson Les Paul standard
2012 Fender American standard Telecaster
1984 Krammer ZX30H

vansinn

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

I think most wanted's are already mentioned.
My most wanted would be some MIDI capability, if even limited, like switching channels and such.
You know, some rack gearheads still might like a MIDI-capable pedal as a front end booster.
And also, some floor boarders actually use limited MIDI audio routing for switching a few channels, so..

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

They should just make us the MP-3 we've been asking for, 3 or 4 preamp tubes, include MP-1, MP-2 and MP-1 classic tones (circuits) some decent Fx digital and analogue based on their brilliant past devices and all the goodies that are in a MP-2 and blow the AxeFx into the bit bucket by using "real" sounds. But it seems they want to make stomp boxes  :facepalm: which is what I bought my first MP-1 to get away from...
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Iperfungus

• Methodical killers do good jobs!
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

They should just make us the MP-3 we've been asking for, 3 or 4 preamp tubes, include MP-1, MP-2 and MP-1 classic tones (circuits) some decent Fx digital and analogue based on their brilliant past devices and all the goodies that are in a MP-2 and blow the AxeFx into the bit bucket by using "real" sounds. But it seems they want to make stomp boxes  :facepalm: which is what I bought my first MP-1 to get away from...

+1

There are so many stomps producers around....some of them with very good products.
I'm not sure this is a winning choice for ADA...

I feel a growing new interest for rack products around.
They have the knowledge: if they produce the MP-3 as Rich described it, they would blow the market away.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Iperfungus »
On the run again!

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

I'm very anxious to see where this is going to go because I would to have another MP-1 or at least MP-1 sounding/style tone!!
 I just spoke to Richard earlier today about how much I would love to have a proper working MP-1 let alone something brand new!

:banana-jazz-smiley-emoticon:
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com
www.youtube.com/dannyjoecarter
www.Faceb**k.com/dannyjoe.carter

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Hey DJC, Orkun is selling his (stock) MP-1 (http://adadepot.com/index.php?topic=1929.0) and while he's in Europe I think  :dunno: it's a 110v unit
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

I'm confused, didn't you just sell your  MP1 DJC to MJMP?

Also plenty of MP1's go on ebay all the time, in decent shape too.  The prices are insane though.  I bought one about 4 months ago, the one MJMP described as having a "Plexi tone" (and recorded with it recently).

I shall keep that unit that way for as long possible, in that state before I'm forced to start changing stuff on it.  Then my other MP1 (or MP1 on stereoids as I say) is the MDRT/Noise mod version recently fixed from noisey hell, that model when I bought it was in excellent shape also, apart from one dinge in the display.

Turkey has 220v RN by the way so DJC would need a step down transformer if he bought Orkuns unit.  This is what I used before I changed my MP1 on roids to an MDRT which allowed for 240v operation.

edit:  my mistake Richard, it is 110v, which will work in the USA.
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Iperfungus

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

I'm very anxious to see where this is going to go because I would to have another MP-1 or at least MP-1 sounding/style tone!!
 I just spoke to Richard earlier today about how much I would love to have a proper working MP-1 let alone something brand new!

:banana-jazz-smiley-emoticon:

Hey DJC, Orkun is selling his (stock) MP-1 (http://adadepot.com/index.php?topic=1929.0) and while he's in Europe I think  :dunno: it's a 110v unit

That would be a good score!!!

I sent mine to Phil for mods...and it's about to come back home, as soon as he has found some stickers...  :lol: :lol: :lol:
He described it has having "plexi" tones and being not noisy at all...and I cannot wait to hear the juice MDRT trafo injected in tubes!

Do not give up, bro!
You had very bad luck...but probably Karma is telling you: "Danny, do not buy ANY MP-1 on the planet...just buy the RIGHT one!".  :thumb-up:
On the run again!

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

He described it has having "plexi" tones and being not noisy at all...and I cannot wait to hear the juice MDRT trafo injected in tubes!

Sounds the same as my stock unit, quiet and has plexi like tones.  I aint modding it until I hav to though.  My MDRT version is more muscular and has a nice variation, very cool, but not better.  I love both and their individual character.  The both need a light boost for the "extra layer".

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Gerry,

Is it possible you could describe what you mean by a boost for the "extra layer?" I'm not getting what that means.

Thanks
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

Iperfungus

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Well, I will hear the differences once my MP-1 will be back home...of course.

By the way, I do not found the stock MP-1 needs an external booster for "extra balls" (unless you use low output single coils and want to play Slayer's stuff with those... :lol:)...with OD1 and OD2 at 7.0 and the right EQ (and the right tubes in it), it's plenty of gain and cuts through any mix very easily.
I did some testing with some light ODs or boosters and I discarded them all (while I love my K-Lone in the 9150 mono loop for some gain boost).

With the new MDRT, all this can only be better.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Iperfungus »
On the run again!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

I have to agree with Gerry, back in the 90's when I had a stock MP-1 I always used a Boss GE-7 (with a reversed smiley) to boost the mids (not gain) so it had a more tight sound to it, else it was a bit to muddy at higher OD's. I played in a trash metal band so I needed that extra "thing". Now with the 3TM I get the same sound but without the GE-7.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Gerry,

Is it possible you could describe what you mean by a boost for the "extra layer?" I'm not getting what that means.

Thanks

Well I may be wrong to use this term, but isn't it gain staging?

So the "extra layer" is the third layer.

Tube1 layer one + Tube2 layer two @ hi gain setting = very distorted but much to flubby and open (good for some stuff though)

Boost layer one + Tube1 layer two + Tube2 layer 3  @ hi gain but not as much as before and a little more bass added to compensate for thinning = a thicker, tighter, tougher distortion with a nice spongy feel.

And depending on your boost, you can change flavour.

I use an analogue OD from by Boss GT5, drive at 0 and level about 45%  I get a nice natural sounding boost with some emphasis on the mids and treble, basically add CHUNKYNESS!

If I use EQ with mid boost, I get the chunk but in an older sounding "stuck wah" style boost sound, like I think how people say Schenker sounds or late 70's priest.

If I add more gain to either of these style boosts using the MP1 then I can go more insane but it's best to use in moderation.

MJMP you get me right?

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

I get you, but I never like an OD pedal in front of the mp-1, the GE-7 worked better for me personally.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up