ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Locking Nut Replacement Dilemma  (Read 28936 times)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: Locking Nut Replacement Dilemma
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

No no need to drill in the clamp.Look at this video.We have the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQHRB2ElZJ0

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a new lock nut ? (e.g. http://www.realparts.com.au/floyd-rose-parts/locking-nuts.html)
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

tomy

• "To loose means trouble, to win pays double"
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

HI RG if you don't feel it, don't do it... I mean just go to a luthier and let him fix it. the locking nut + replacement, i'm sure it's 15 minute work and he is gonna put the right nut. I'm sure it won't be so expensive.

Don't ruined your axe fixing by yourself
"As far back as I can remember,  I've always wanted to be a  gangster..."

ARSENAL :
https://fr.audiofanzine.com/membres/885047/products/

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a new lock nut ? (e.g. http://www.realparts.com.au/floyd-rose-parts/locking-nuts.html)

I think you missed the whole beginning of the post RN  :facepalm:
The issue is that I have bought 5 different replacements already and they do not mount flush with the rose wood leaving a 1mm gap.  See the first post for more details.

If it was as easy as swapping I would have I'm not mental, for me the issue wasn't fix the old locking nut it was trying to find a replacement.  But since I cannot find a replacement perhaps the old one can be fixed as MJMP suggests.

HI RG if you don't feel it, don't do it... I mean just go to a luthier and let him fix it. the locking nut + replacement, i'm sure it's 15 minute work and he is gonna put the right nut. I'm sure it won't be so expensive.

Don't ruined your axe fixing by yourself

Well that's just it not sure what he will suggest either, but I have toi check what MJMP is saying first.  I can see the luthier saying "fill he holes, redrill from rear and install a rear mounting locking nut."

I thought my idea of creating a shim to fill the gap left by one of the replacments was a good idea, this would fill the gap and allow for correct string length and intonation.
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

Hey RG sorry, my bad, just re-read your initial post and I see your problem and totally empathise.
I watched the vid MJMP posted and it looked good but I'm thinking there may not be enough thickness to do the thread plug (MJMP, do they make them for such a "thin" hole ?) if they do then this is the best option IMO
Or you could go with an alan bolt next size up and re tap the thread for it, but as you said then you'd have to expand the hole in the clamp block (not an easy drill, best use a drill press with good clamps, or a rat tail file), however, this would work (and you might get away with not re-tapping the thread).
Or you could fill the mounting screw holes and fit a new locknut (from either the top or from behind, but as the original holes are so close they would need to be filled (plugged)) and also you haven't been able to find one "exactly" the right width, so a bit of work and still not optimal.

Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

Yeah the redrilling and mounting from the rear is the one I want to avoid.  If a Luthier could fill the original holes and then redrill a little closer I would be happier with that.

The replacement locking nuts are all ok width wise (41mm ish).  These are fine.  However its where they have their mounting holes are drilled on the replacements baseplate.  They seem more central which means when they mount, the holes actually take the plate about 1mm away from the rosewood.

Why Squier had such a random bit of hardware I will never know.  Whats even more annoying is I have about 5 other of these same guitars (variations and sister models etc).  So the problem might occur with them  :facepalm:

Lookin at MJMPs video

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

Well R,the thickness also concerns me a bit.And using a bigger screw won't work i guess,then he would have to drill out the clamp also.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

Well R,the thickness also concerns me a bit.And using a bigger screw won't work i guess,then he would have to drill out the clamp also.

I watched the video, yeah I don't think I could get this to work for such a small and shallow piece of metal.

It crossed my mind to perhaps fill the hole with that putty that goes as hard as steel and then re drill this and then have it threaded with the locking bolt again.  But I dunno if the new threads would hold under such pressure.  I did this one time before when I drilled to big a hole in a pickup mounting leg, it worked a treat.

tomy

« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

OK so let me propose an ather way,
-unscrew the whole locking nut
-plug the hole on the rosewood (example : when a screw of the pickguard doesn't match because the hole is too big, you can use a toothpick with glue to plug the hole, and cut what exceed)
- screw one of your brand new locking nut.

make sense ??

ARSENAL :

tomy

« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

Another idea : get success with RBOTN, have a deal with Jackson, or ESP... and have a signature model !

call your model "Dilemma"

ARSENAL :

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

no way not those brands  ;D

They don't make any guitars I'm into.  The ultimate guitar for me is a Fender HM.  Probably will never get one of them as they are expensive.

The guitar that needs fixed is one of my fav's.  Put a Super Distortion in there and SHIT GOT GOOD!  I have a Super Distortion 2 for the neck now but waiting to install that.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #26 on: Time Format »

Another idea : get success with RBOTN, have a deal with Jackson, or ESP... and have a signature model !

call your model "Dilemma"

Well RG that's a great idea!!!! i would go for it!! :lol:

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #27 on: Time Format »

oh hang on I'll just click my finger shall I

(click)  oh what do you know??  f**king Endorsement deal with Tokai and Hamer!  Nice :)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #28 on: Time Format »

:lol:

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #29 on: Time Format »

just burnt all my guitars there now I have these endorsement deals  :facepalm:
don't need a stupid pink Squier guitar that once belonged to some guy who died and then his relatives sold it on!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up