ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Adding an Expression Pedal?  (Read 13801 times)

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
Adding an Expression Pedal?
« on: Time Format »

I'd like to add an Expression pedal to my Rig of Fire and am looking for some ideas.   :wave:

I don't want to purchase a Behringer FCB unit (heard way too many horror stories about those breaking) instead I'd like to simply add the pedal itself to my setup (MP-2, Rocktron Xpression, Rolls MidiBuddy) if that's possible.  Or maybe purchase a decent floorboard unit that has one, as long as it's not too expensive?  Eventually I'd like to explore the Macros in the MP-2, but first I'd like to just simply control the Master Volume for fades.  I realize I could use a Volume pedal in the Loop, but that would require cobbling connectors to convert the the Stereo Loop to Mono, then having 2 long cable runs from the back of my rackcase out to front of stage; too much stuff to setup/takedown and more risk of things getting all sonofabitch'd up.  A Volume pedal in front of the preamp isn't the effect I'm looking for either.

I see ADA had an expression pedal, but it doesn't appear to be midi capable from what I can tell.  How would that work?
Appreciate thoughts, advice, etc. thank you!

vansinn

Re: Adding an Expression Pedal?
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Ahh, you have the Rolls MidiBuddy without build-in swell pedal, right?
But Kim, boddy, you're a practical geek with functional lab and all ;)

Buy a used FCB1010, cut the dual swell pedal arrangement off fairly close to the bank up/down buttons. Then fix the plastic siderail from the other side to the now cut-off swell arrangement, and it'll look just fine. Many a player has done the opposite: Cutting off the non-used swells, so..
Now make a cut in the swell frame to fix the controller board sideways next to the swells.
The controller board is pretty much the size of the display, and the swells are connected via ordinary berg-strip connectors.
To compensate for the loss of ordinary switches, you can add mini switches for the programming - or, likely a lot easier, simply use the online available PC/app editor for the programming.  To my knowledge, the controller won't give a shit about being able to 'see' the switches or not.
And you can of course mod it for phantom power.

Kim

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Haven't been doing too much in the way of modding stuff lately, Van.  And I'm just not feeling the idea of buying a FCB1010 just to cut it up and mod it.  lol  Besides, I've read enough other info about it that tells me it's also a dogger to program initially, and I don't think I'll have the patience for that either. 

But after some research, I've found a few other options and carefully sorted them. 
ART X-15 looked promising until I found that it's not Phantom Powered in stock form.
Digitech Control One also looked good until I found that Digitech uses their own proprietary signals with this and NOT midi.  (Shame on you Digitech.)
Rocktron Midi Mate seems good with a Rocktron Hex pedal (or any similar expression pedal).  I have always had a very good relationship with Rocktron stuff to date.  Then.....
WTF was I thinking?!  The ADA MXC floorboard control supports an expression pedal!  Searching the pics confirms it, and it's not to be confused with the very similar in appearance MPC.   I think I've found my answer, now to find an MXC floorboard to start this.   :whoohoo!: 

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

You can even hookup 2 expression pedals on the MXC  ;D

Griphook

• Less is more? More is more!
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

But the MXCs are pretty rare aren't they?  :dunno:

Kim

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

But the MXCs are pretty rare aren't they?  :dunno:

Well I used to see them for sale a lot....until now that I'm actually looking to get one.  Lol.  Then there's some hoarders with several of them....

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

You can also hook up 2 expression pedals to the voodo lab ground control pro. Excellent midi controller in my opinion.
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

DAMMIT KIM! You figured it out before I could reply. Get an MXC, hell, get two, they're small.

I rarely use my pedal, but if I did, I'd use it for volume. The Wah wasn't great

Kim

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

LOL  :lol:

I'd just like to use one expression pedal, mostly for the macro stuff and volume fades.  Other than that......aw heck who knows what cool shizz I'd end up doing with it if I get one!  Really, it doesn't have to be an ADA MXC, but all the searching I've been doing tells me that it's the one I want without all the complicated extra frills and way more $$ some of the other ones are asking.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

I use the MXC pedal as stereo master vol. Actually the pedal is the only way to access that MP2 feature and it works very well  :thumb-up: . And yes you can have 2 pedals and 2 quad switches with the MXC.
I don't use the quad switch much but it to can be handy and you can have each button either latched or unlatched (momentary while it's pressed).
The last MP2 I bought was mostly to get another MXC pedal set so I can have one packed in my live rig and one in the studio. Sometimes MP2s come up for sale with the MXC included (albeit a more expensive way to get an MXC LoL).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Kim,

If you get an MXC, you gotta get a Quad switch. I don't know which FX unit you'd be using, but it allows me to toggle individual FX on/off in my Boss GX-700

I toggle the EQ to get a clean volume boost (its a flat EQ, turned up) of each patch = Solos on each patch!
I toggle the delay on/off of each patch (whether the patch has delay or not)
The other two buttons are for special FX, like a tremolo or a harmonizer, etc. They vary from patch to patch

And...as Richard says, you can hook up TWO Quad switches and TWO CC pedals.  :thumb-up:

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

+1 i also use my mxc with 2 quad switches and 2 pedals.

Griphook

• Less is more? More is more!
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

What are thos Quad Switches you are talking about?

And are those Pedals just normal Expression Pedals or special CC Pedals?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Hey Griphook, If you bought a MP2 new, as I did back in the day... it came with the MXC pedal pack which included 7 pin midi cable, MXC midi pedal, one expression pedal and one quad switch. The expression pedal and quad switch connect to the MXC via standard stereo (R/T/S) jack leads, apart from that it's really solid, the expression pedal is no different to any CC type expression pedal, it has a pot inside which is turned up/down by the pedal movement. It includes a "soft" switch when you press at "full on" position (like a wah that tuns on/off). You can assign the pedal and the switch to any parameter in a CC compatible gadget you want to sweep (vol, wah, an eq freq, delay time etc...) or toggle with the switch (eg turn wah on/off)
The quad switch  (again really solid) is 4 buttons (same sort as the MXC buttons) with a LED under each button. You can assign each button to a CC controllable parameter you want to turn on/off. The buttons can be individually set to latch or unlatched. Latch means when you press it it stays pressed (on or off). Unlatched means its on as long as you hold the button down and reverts to off when you stop pressing on it.
The quad switch is probably a bit more special than the expression pedal but all the groovy midi pedals being discussed here lately do much the same. The CC number assignment is done in the MXC which has 4 stereo jack inputs, 2 for pedals and 2 for quad switches (so it matters which jack you plug into (pedal 1/2, switch 1/2) as this decides their controller numbers (which you can change BTW via the pedals function commands). The MXC sends the midi change data so anything reading the midi stream can respond to it (assign controller number(s) to parameter(s) in the CC compatible device).
The quad switch was designed to give you more real time control over some MP2 on/off parameters (FX loop, tremolo, tuner mute etc) but as Dante likes to do, you can also use them to control other CC devices.

http://adadepot.com/manuals/MXC_Owners_Manual.pdf
« Last Edit: Time Format by rnolan »
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

The quad switch has some electronics inside,so it's specially designed for use with the MXC.You can't use it with pedals from other brands.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up