ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Rockman Sustainor  (Read 20718 times)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
Rockman Sustainor
« on: Time Format »

Ok it's working thanks to a using a proper ac adapter

it's in need of some TLC this unit but here are some clips
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
Re: Rockman Sustainor
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

phase switch engaged to simulate 4x12ishness

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

plain with chorus

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

:whoohoo!:

phase with chorus

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Sounds like "Turbo Lover"  :thumb-up: :thumb-up:

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

funny there is actually a pre-set on my boss that is really like the opening of Turbo lover  ;D

You know I really like that album actually.  Despite what some people think it's very creative for the band to have turned their creativity into a new style they'd never done before.  The inventiveness is quintessential Judas Priest (on Turbo not my little clips).

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, very cool  :thumb-up: definitely the classic Rockman tone, glad you got it working !! And a great tool to have in your collection.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

I really like it Richard but my unit is in need of a lot of tlc.  I need to buy some switch cleaner, ever switch makes some of the worst crackling noises I have ever heard.  There may be some dry solder joints also.

I toyed with the idea of replacing all the electrolyite capacitors but I haven't a clue where to start with that (how to determin values and where to buy them).  I heard Rockmans benefit a lot from cap replacement.

I hope you liked the clips.  I enjoy this little unit, I'd definitley use it for something, I think that tone is great lol

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, I liked the clips allot  :thumb-up: The sustainer seems a little more refined that the X100 but same fundamental sound/tone. Yeah the slide switches were always a pain on the X100 as well. I bought a tin of SERVISOL spray Isopropyl Alcohol from the electronic shop recently, that would work well to clean the switches. IIRC they guy I spoke about before who modded his X100 so he could change sounds with a pedal of switches also did some cap changing. Although yours sounded pretty good to me, not too noisy or anything. You could touch base with the Rockman fix it shop (from other post) and get some idea ? Don't know if there's a forum or similar for maintaining them ?? My X100 seems to have a hum that comes and goes.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, I liked the clips allot  :thumb-up: The sustainer seems a little more refined that the X100 but same fundamental sound/tone. Yeah the slide switches were always a pain on the X100 as well. I bought a tin of SERVISOL spray Isopropyl Alcohol from the electronic shop recently, that would work well to clean the switches. IIRC they guy I spoke about before who modded his X100 so he could change sounds with a pedal of switches also did some cap changing. Although yours sounded pretty good to me, not too noisy or anything. You could touch base with the Rockman fix it shop (from other post) and get some idea ? Don't know if there's a forum or similar for maintaining them ?? My X100 seems to have a hum that comes and goes.

I just made that little riff progression up,something to bring out that "rockman" vibe.

The sustainor is noisey, I don't see to be able to work the gate that's built in to it.  The reason it's quiet is the noise reduction on the boss (it's running through the loop and centred in my chain as the preamp same way I would hook up my MP1).  Thankfully I didn't need any more than I do with any other device.  I find soon as I start having to go past 50 on the NR threshold it starts to eat into the tone so I'm at least grateful it produces manageable amounts of noise.

I contacted both companies/guys who look after Rockman refurbs and one of them  refurbs MP1's as well.  Both of them did not get back to me.  I actually did ask one if it was to expensive for me to send my rockman to them could I replace all the caps myself?  I imagine they deleted that email because I'm screwing them out of business.  I don't have much luck with American musical suppliers, they always seem to answer their emails with suspicion or in a abrupt manner.  Just my experience I guess but it's true.  I asked a guy last week about something on ebay and he was co cagey and then stopped replying to me when I said I wanted to see if he would sell me something.  I had one nice guy sell me some floyd rose saddles a few weeks ago!  That was a welcome experience.

Anyways back to Rockman, I think the cap upgrades would be a real help.  Shelf life of ten years for the caps, my unit is nearly 30 years old!!!  Might help with noise also.

I own servisol also Richard, but MJMP advised it was a bad product???  Not sure why but I know he is aware of his stuff.  I have used servisol in the past for pots and it worked a treat.  He recommended Kontakt.  I used servisol on a cooker knob also, worked a treat :)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Nice little riff you made up, I got that you'd just thrown it together, like the clips I've put up, doodle around with stuff to show off the various aspects of the sound and they do that well.  I didn't realise you had NR following it, I don't like any more than say 17 to 25 threshold, I had to go to 80 on my MP2 #3 on high gain voices and as you say it sucks the tone but I should be able to fix that with R913 resistor swap (which I have ready to go, but still practicing my desolder, resolder skills on old PCBs), I also got new input jacks ready to go (fortuitously they aren't as special as the early MP1 jacks), but do have a longer thread (MJMP came to the rescue here), this is the part that gets the most wear and tare, I'll then move on to the 21 caps and resistor in MP2 #s 1 & 2, and finale is replace the tube sockets (x 6). So I have all the parts now but slowly slowly, all the MP2s work fine at the moment so no rush.
I don't think I can get Kontakt here ? the servisol I would have thought just being Isopropyl Alcohol it should be fine, that's what we used to clean multitrack tape heads with in the studio.

Mike and I bought some Floyd bits from these guys (http://axcessories.com/categories.asp), they were good.

GuitarBuilder

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

I just made that little riff progression up,something to bring out that "rockman" vibe.

The sustainor is noisey, I don't see to be able to work the gate that's built in to it.  The reason it's quiet is the noise reduction on the boss (it's running through the loop and centred in my chain as the preamp same way I would hook up my MP1).  Thankfully I didn't need any more than I do with any other device.  I find soon as I start having to go past 50 on the NR threshold it starts to eat into the tone so I'm at least grateful it produces manageable amounts of noise.

I contacted both companies/guys who look after Rockman refurbs and one of them  refurbs MP1's as well.  Both of them did not get back to me.  I actually did ask one if it was to expensive for me to send my rockman to them could I replace all the caps myself?  I imagine they deleted that email because I'm screwing them out of business.  I don't have much luck with American musical suppliers, they always seem to answer their emails with suspicion or in a abrupt manner.  Just my experience I guess but it's true.  I asked a guy last week about something on ebay and he was co cagey and then stopped replying to me when I said I wanted to see if he would sell me something.  I had one nice guy sell me some floyd rose saddles a few weeks ago!  That was a welcome experience.

Anyways back to Rockman, I think the cap upgrades would be a real help.  Shelf life of ten years for the caps, my unit is nearly 30 years old!!!  Might help with noise also.

I own servisol also Richard, but MJMP advised it was a bad product???  Not sure why but I know he is aware of his stuff.  I have used servisol in the past for pots and it worked a treat.  He recommended Kontakt.  I used servisol on a cooker knob also, worked a treat :)

I understand the lack of response from PerfectSoundRockRefurbs - it seems David Accomando is getting out of the business.  However, David Ferringer from Rockman Repair should answer - please try him again and let me know if he still doesn't answer.  I can also ping him for you.

Another option is B5 Amps: http://www.b5amps.com/B5_Amplification/Rockman_Solutions.html
ADA and Rockman Heads
Marshall amps
Strats and Les Pauls

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Hey GuitarBuilder, thanks for the link, I assume he's in the US so postage wouldn't be $10 for RG and me (Ireland, Australia) but his prices aren't bad considering the amount of work to change all the caps, and while I only used batteries early in the piece, I used the rock adapter for the rest of it's life, it does have AC ripple and hum so his B5 power supply mod is attractive.

@RG, I'd send your sustainer to this guy for a refit, $100 USD is a pretty good deal to have it good for another 30 years.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

not sure if you prompted him Guitarbuilder but Ferringer got back.

He said it was $139 for a refurb.  That's more than I paid for the unit lol I paid £70 for it.  $139 is like £90.  Shipping back and forth will also rack up the coin.  I'm sure it will have to be insured although I'm known to risk this often and go with out.  It is a fairly small unit and very, very, very light.

I think I could take a stab at replacing the caps myself though in all honesty which is basically what the refurb is.  Problem would be getting all the right electrolytic caps.

I replied back to the guy so I'll what he says.  He didn't like me saying "pricey" so off to a bad start with him  :-X

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, the link GB sent, the guy will do the referb for $100 USD IIRC, postage $10 but I assume US, while you could do this yourself (an all power to you, go for it), to pay someone $100 to change all those caps (just the labor) and supply the parts... As long as the shipping isn't too stupid $sss anyway my thoughts..
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up