ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Running Direct  (Read 12387 times)

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
Running Direct
« on: Time Format »

No cabs, no speakers, just directly out of the Recording Outs into the mixer.

I did this at practice last night and I must say, it sounded a LOT better than my Boogie combo with a mic in front of it. In-ear-monitors (IEMs) make all the difference in the world, no more competing for volume with the drummer (and his endless array of cymbals).

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Running Direct
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Cool, so the Classic cab sims are working well for you now  :thumb-up:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Indeed they are. I'm thinking I never saw the little switch back there before, it sounds a lot better in Single than it does in Array, which seems backwards to me  :dunno:

I need to look in the manual to see if they are balanced or not

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

I need to FIND a manual

Here's a pic of the new gig rig - straight into the mixer, no amp, no cab(s)

I'll get a better pic later

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Nice, and very portable  :thumb-up:

GuitarBuilder

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

IMHO it's the ONLY way to go.  Yes, going through all kinds of tube amps (guitar, power) tends to sound better to some folks, but I find that those severely limit the frequency response of rack gear, particularly for the higher harmonics.  There's actually quite a bit lost.

I run both my ADA and Rockman heads straight into the mixer or PA amp (Crown XLS1000), which then feed proper three-way speakers with broad frequency response.  Try it, you'll like it!  Keep in mind that your EQ settings will need massive adjustments, because you've been compensating for the poor response of the guitar amps........
ADA and Rockman Heads
Marshall amps
Strats and Les Pauls

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

I run both my ADA and Rockman heads straight into the mixer or PA amp (Crown XLS1000), which then feed proper three-way speakers with broad frequency response.  Try it, you'll like it!  Keep in mind that your EQ settings will need massive adjustments, because you've been compensating for the poor response of the guitar amps........

I have found that the EQ settings are greatly amplified by running direct, so I don't need to cut the mids quite as much as usual. Every frequency seems a bit more sensitive, I just chalked that up to the direct out being set to line instead of instrument.

I agree though, absolutely the way to go  :thumb-up:

El Chiguete

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

I have found that the EQ settings are greatly amplified by running direct, so I don't need to cut the mids quite as much as usual. Every frequency seems a bit more sensitive, I just chalked that up to the direct out being set to line instead of instrument.

I agree though, absolutely the way to go  :thumb-up:

So you run the ADA straight with no cab simulation???
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

The Classic has an either/or switch on the back of the unit. It's either set to SINGLE or ARRAY, but both are cab sims. I like the Array setting.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

I've gotta say, this is a nice setup. Very compact, lightweight, and versatile. I have a bank for each guitar, and have  banks written for 3 of my 'go-to' guitars, so I'm good for my gig this Friday night. The tones are amazing - truly a blast to listen to.

I can go from James Brown funky clean to classic Rock overdrive to massive crushing Metal tones. I have 3 patches for solos, 3-4 cleans, 3-4 gains, and whatever 'wild card' patches I need for specific songs. The Quad switch allows me to turn individual FX on/off in the Boss GX-700 (Delay / Wah / Solo Boost / Chorus or Flange) so I can cover a lot of ground with 10 patches.

Now that I'm running direct, I'm wondering why I have 3 power amps  :facepalm: and two 1x12s, and two combo amps, and...and...
« Last Edit: Time Format by Dante »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Now that I'm running direct, I'm wondering why I have 3 power amps  :facepalm: and two 1x12s, and two combo amps, and...and...
Well you could downsize I spose, I find it pretty hard to part with gear, like my 1972 Marshall, doesn't get used at all anymore but I'm loathed to sell it. Ahh 1st World Problems, which BTW is what we're calling the new band (finally decided on a name....)

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

So, I played my first gig running the Classic direct, and it was a huge success.

Now, for the irony of ironies...we were playing on a pretty big stage, and the mains were well in front of the band. So, anyone directly in front of the stage would be even to (or even behind) the mains and the subs. We realized during soundcheck that we were going to need some sort of stage volume for the guitar  :facepalm:

We had a powered monitor nearby that we plugged my Recording Outs into for the stage volume.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

And I assume it sounded great through the powered monitor and everyone (including Dante..) was happy  :thumb-up:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Actually, I'm about to do a very similar set up tomorrow night (no IEMs though, Dante you and Peter are getting me very interested (see email..)).  Mikes MP1 through my spare MP2, cab sims (via loop returns) > PA, MP2 cab sims (me) > PA, electric kit > PA (PA is a pair of Carvin I5/horn powered monitors (and dual 32 band eq)).

robertkoa

« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Interesting. I never heard an  MP1 Classic.

Does it have a Microcab type Simulator built in-must be better than a Red Box for example.

My MP1 sounds very good into a  POD XT with modeling OFF  "No Amp " setting I will  use real   CAB IRs  for recording but the EFX , Delays and Reverbs  and Cabs in  POD XT work really really well with MP1.

I may snag a Classic if I see one, more refined  OD than  old  MP1 ?

And you guys can get Fender to Marshall great Tones into the Board with the Classic for Recording ?

Of the  3  MP1  Units  , which one has the clearest , sweetest  OD/Tube Distortion, the  non angry Distortion like  EJ / Brian Adams Guitarist/ EVH warm crunch / Gilmour  etc. ?

Who wins the sweetest Gain race ?
« Last Edit: Time Format by robertkoa »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up