ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Good power amp suggestions for MP1  (Read 24667 times)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
Good power amp suggestions for MP1
« on: Time Format »

Just stating this topic as it came up in anoher area by accident in the "what cabs are you using" discussion.  Apologies if this has been doen before guys.

So Far I' have Carvin TS100 and AdA B200s

Do people prefer tube or solid state fopr their MP1/2 units?  Linear or coloured.

I got an impression that a good solid state with some flexibilty in regards to speaker reactance controls and presence controls would be the ticket for an MP1 or even a tube power amp.

However I hear from rnolan that linear is the way to go for our beloved preamps.

Throw out your ideas people.

Currently I have linear Crate Powerblocks and I was not intending on using them with the MP1 however I may just stick with them since they are linear and powerful. I was thinking along the lines of a Rocktron Velocity 300 or Marshall Valvestate 8008 myself as I could afford them and they are 1U.

I guess I had the idea that a tubey sorta solid state or just full tube power amp would be the way to go simple to act like a power section of a proper amp head like JCM800 or something like that but then may be that's not required.  Interested in yer thoughts.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Good power amp suggestions for MP1
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey RGerry, from a sound perspective, tube power amps have a bit of a warmth edge (and always will), and I don't know why but tube watts are punchier  >:D well that's my experience... ie less = more compared to SS amps.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Try a tube power amp if you want, but I recon your powerblocks (bypass preamp stuff) will be fine.  Just runup/test you sounds at stage vol  :thumb-up: and run it stereo  :thumb-up:

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

I will defo try the power blocks.  They are stereo man and I have ran in stereo for the last few years and I could never go back as I love a harmony effect or two and I love my stereo chorus used subtley.  Sometimes I can't run in stereo at gigs but I try most places I play.  For my up coming uk tour in the new year I will defo be running in stereo.  Whether or not I get to bring the ADA with me or not is another question.  I have to get MarshallJMP to do some modding for me  ;)  also I bought another one from the states and I will need a new transformer (I am a greedy gear hoarding b**tard).

Power Blocks have been amazing to take to gigs although sometimes it doesn't like other peoples cabs when they ony have say 16ohm and I only get half the power and crap like that.

rnolan thanks for your input it is appreciated.

Oh one more thing, I have always used SS, usually because I could never afford all valve, perhaps SS is for me but with the tube preamp eh?

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Once again very subjective.....
I personally like the coloration a tube power amp adds...in particular the Mesa SimulClass 2:90.
OK, it´s heavy as a tank.....but the SimulClass thingy totally got me. I have (per channel/side) 2 6L6GC running in Class AB with another 2 EL34B running in Class A simultaneously. This very characteristic sound and the additional Voicing options (switchable) of Deep, Modern and Half-Drive simply do it for me.
But as I said, its very subjective since I dig the characteristic Boogie Mk Hi-Gain sounds (IIC+, IV)
« Last Edit: Time Format by Systematic Chaos »

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Altought I'm not a big fan of boogie amps they do make kickass power amps like the 2:90 or the 2 Fifty power amps.Tried them both with my mp-1 and they sound good.I use the power sections of my old marshalls,i modified them so 1 of the 4 inputs goes straight to the poweramp,bypassing the preamp.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

I hear so much about Boogies all the time but I don't think I could personally afford one.  I'm just a poor head banger  :lol:

That mod you have done with your marshall heads sounds great MJMP.  Clever.  How come you never just bought a Marshall Power amp like the EL34 or something?  Why stick to the head?  Just curious.

Gonna test with my powerblocks today people finger crossed.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Just for the sound,you can't compare an old marshall head with those new poweramps like the 9x00 series.I'm a marshall fan but those amp are no good.The poweramp section of those old marshalls sound waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better.
And second,you may laugh but for the LOOK :facepalm:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Nothing like a Marshall head for looks, I like them too  :thumb-up:   My '72 50 is the old small writing which I prefer to the newer large writing models.

Rgerry, I recon you power block will work well  :thumb-up:

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

I hear so much about Boogies all the time but I don't think I could personally afford one.  I'm just a poor head banger  :lol:
The "old" Boogie Fifty/Fifty poweramps pop up regularly for pretty cheap (300-400€) and are also rugged tanks.
I used a deep modded (official Mesa mod) one with my MP-1 Mod3.1 w/MDRT for quite some time and that was like a SLO100 on steroids....

Yet again, subjective....I personally prefer the 6L6 coloration over the EL34

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Crate Power Blocks worked well.

switched everything off on the Boss GT6 I use, brought the MP1 in via the effects loop, used it as my pre amp.

First thing I noticed was the gain.  Definitely going to need more.  It was also very bassy, but then my amps are near the corner of the room and I seem to have to turn bass down a lot.  I'm rearranging my rehearsal room next week (new topic of discussion right there!!!!   :facepalm:)

Ok so I didn't mess one of my patches on the ADA MP1 too much, turned the bass down and presence as there was a little too much fizz for my test.  Once I did that I carried on through the whole rehearsal with it.  It sounded like a marshall to my ears, but it definitely needed boosted some how.  I could get great tones for certain things but for the more thrashey saturated sound I go for I wasn't there at all.  Very breathey and open sounding, everything was clear and crisp and dynamics were there.

I think I spotted an issue however.  Either I am not getting anywhere near the amount of gain I need or there is possibly a contributing factor.  My input as MarshallJMP knows is a bit dodgy - intermittent.  It needs replaced asap.  It seems it lets some of the signal through at times but slightly weaker what it should.  This may be affecting things I don't know.  I'm going to do the input mod once I get the parts.

Anyways back to the trial run.  I got nice sounds when I added stereo chorus, sounded great.  Tube feels so much weird to me having only ever played solids state for most of my days ( :o) it is going to take a bit of getting used to.  I definitely needed a more compressed tone.  The tone for sure cut through like a chainsaw which was good and it sounded well with my cabs once I got the fizz down.  I took my ear plugs out at one point and nearly blew my face so approach with caution from now on hahaha

Pretty happy with the results but I can't use it with my band just yet.

the latch I used was this

Voice      Gain 1  Gain 2    Master   Bass   Mid   Treble  Presence
 Tube       7,5        6,5        8,5         6     - 8       0           8

I altered this to these settings instead

Voice      Gain 1  Gain 2    Master   Bass   Mid   Treble  Presence
 Tube       7,5        6,5        8,5         2     - 8       0           4

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

The GT6 can easily be used in 4-cable-method with the MP-1. That lets you place one of the OD/Dist blocks of the GT6 in before the MP-1 to boost/beef up the front end. Try e.g. a setting of (think Tubescramer knobs) OD 11o'clock, Tone 10o'clock, Level 2o'clock....

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

The GT6 can easily be used in 4-cable-method with the MP-1. That lets you place one of the OD/Dist blocks of the GT6 in before the MP-1 to boost/beef up the front end. Try e.g. a setting of (think Tubescramer knobs) OD 11o'clock, Tone 10o'clock, Level 2o'clock....

Hey man I am using it in four cable method.  However, (and this is where Boss screwed up with the GT6) the loop is in the distortion block  :facepalm:  So if I use the loop I basically can't select a distortion pedal model.  I could use a preamp model as a boost instead I suppose.

Or failing that use my GT5 instead which has a separate loop from any effects block and the whole analogue distortion block (basically has all boss pedals in the od/distortion block).  I have tried this at home using the cab sim on the GT5 and I think it's great.

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Didn´t know that about the GT6.....but if it works with the GT5, why not use both ;-), meaning GT6 with GT5 and MP1 in 4cable method....if thats not too much of signal loss. But in the end, once the drummer enters the room  :facepalm: ::) :lol: :lol:

But back to topic: Try to snag a Boogie Fifty/Fifty for cheap, you won´t be disappointed  :thumb-up:

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Also a good power amp is the marshall 9005 2 x 50W poweramp.These also sound amazing.

http://en.audiofanzine.com/guitar-power-amplifier/marshall/9005/medias/pictures/a.play,m.64516.html
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up