ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bass-less "bands"...  (Read 8445 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Bass-less "bands"...
« Reply #30 on: Time Format »

Hey Kim, well it's good there was a local show with bands  :thumb-up: .  I didn't know the having no bass player had become a thing/trend  :facepalm: , bad idea IMHO.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Peter H. Boer

• 2* MB-1 1*MP-1 + Jur's old Mod4Mk2
    • The Granny Attic
« Reply #31 on: Time Format »

Digging up an old thread.... ::)

There was a local show this last weekend.  5 bands (gaa don't get me started on that.  Get off my lawn!) playing and 4 of those bands had 2 members all consisting of a guitarist/vocalist and a drummer.  The fifth band had three members, a guitarist, a vocalist, and a drummer but still...no bassist.  DAMMIT. >:(

So it seems to be a trend that's lasting a little longer than I hoped.

Everybody is listening to 'music' through their cheap a** earbuds.
People don't even know what a bass sounds like anymore  :'(
No wonder they need drugs to dance  :facepalm:
Nothing beats MB-1s and MP-1s with MDRTs

http://www.thegrannyattic.com
http://www.Illumion.net
http://www.sote.nl

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #32 on: Time Format »

When something becomes a trend in this day and age I make sure I ignore it.

It's stupid development in my opinion.  I tune to E standard 440hz and I will never ever tune to anything lower not even dropped D  :o

So I need a bass player and want a bass player.  Had it not been important I would have spent 10 months looking for a new one.

As for the doors, pretty sure they had a stand in guy for albums and live if not all the time, some of the time plus that had Manzarek filling out lower registers.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #33 on: Time Format »

Digging up an old thread.... ::)

There was a local show this last weekend.  5 bands (gaa don't get me started on that.  Get off my lawn!) playing and 4 of those bands had 2 members all consisting of a guitarist/vocalist and a drummer.  The fifth band had three members, a guitarist, a vocalist, and a drummer but still...no bassist.  DAMMIT. >:(

So it seems to be a trend that's lasting a little longer than I hoped.
Everybody is listening to 'music' through their cheap a** earbuds.
People don't even know what a bass sounds like anymore  :'(
No wonder they need drugs to dance  :facepalm:

+1  :lol: :lol: :lol: You tell'em Peter

About the Doors... Ray Manzarek did do the bass parts on the recordings, but for live shows, the bass guitar was handled by a guy named John Densmore if I'm not mistaken. How is it that no one remembers him? :dunno:

Harley 8)
« Last Edit: Time Format by Kim »
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #34 on: Time Format »

Actually no, John Densmore was the drummer.

They had a few on their albums, one regular was Doug Lubahn.

The White Stripes were a legit no bass band.  But then again they probably had one on their albums too and plus they were shit.
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #35 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, good to hear from you  :wave: I'm the same with trends and films etc. I tend to ignore them.
So Dandy Warhols and Wolfmother both do bass on keyboards. Led Zep also for some of their songs live.  But the keyboard are playing (sometimes footing) the bass lines.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #36 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, good to hear from you  :wave: I'm the same with trends and films etc. I tend to ignore them.
So Dandy Warhols and Wolfmother both do bass on keyboards. Led Zep also for some of their songs live.  But the keyboard are playing (sometimes footing) the bass lines.
  Didn't realise Wolfmother had no bass guitar, I think that's weird.

Aye I know I wont like something GENRALLY when there is a sudden surge in interest in it and everyone is talking about it.  That rings the alarm bells for me because general society and their tastes can't be trusted.  Avoid the hype at all costs is what I say.

I have to admit in recent times I've watched some good entertaining films, but they aren't usually those that everyone is talking about.  But again GENRALLY I like old stuff, particularly with horror movies which are my fav  ;D

Any I personally love bass guitar an all the artistry it brings with it.  HAIL THE BASS GUITAR!!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #37 on: Time Format »

Woldmother were/are (are they still together?) 3 piece with the keyboard player covering the bass and playing allot like Jon Lord.  You can hear lots of Deep Purple influences in their music and the guitarist using an ES335 like Blackmore on DP In Rock after that (Fireball) Blackmore started using strats.
Anyway they seemed to pull it off, I liked their music.
I like bass guitar also, particularly bassists like Gary Thain (Uriah Heep) and Jon Entwistle (the who).  And the guy from Slade (Jim Lea) was very underrated, have a listen to Slade alive, great bass playing...

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
« Reply #38 on: Time Format »

I realize how I must sound while griping about stuff like this.  Hence, the "get off my lawn" part.   :lol:

I do realize that anyone can do whatever the heck they want with their art and passions, and would rather not discourage anyone from doing things their own ways......but I don't have to like it and it seemed like a good topic of discussion and debate.     :)
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up