ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how to boost the signal going thru a long guitar cable when using rack gear?  (Read 5566 times)

El Chiguete

Like everyone knows if you use a long cable from the guitar to the amp, preamp or rack gear there is signal loss. In my case I use rack gear and I don't have a pedalboard that I can run the long cable after the pedals that by one having a buffer it will prevent the signal loss, I only use a midi controller pedalboard to controll the preamp and effects in the rack.

So what can I use for buffering the signal before the cable going to the rack? Should I consider to running at least one pedal (maybe a tuner pedal) in the floor that has a buffer or are there other options? is there a buffer box that I can have inside the guitar? or maybe in the strap like where a wireless transmitter would go? maybe just go wireless?
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

It's partly an impedance issue and you loose top end after ~25 feet.  Decent mics are 600 ohms (low impedance) and can have much longer cables without loss (eg mic > stage box > multicore > mixer).  DI boxes can take an instrument level/impedance signal and lower the impedance to 600 ohms for the run to the front house desk (often used for bass prior to line outs being common on bass amps) but this doesn't give you the impedance your pre-amp wants.
Depending on your PUs and PU combination, the guitar impedance is probably around 7k ohms (single coil strat) to 16k ohms (humbucker (coils in serial)), these will vary when you combine PUs or change coils from serial to parallel.
Wireless is an option, I tried wireless many years ago (over 20 years ago) and wasn't impressed, it was ok when playing but gated off (in a not so nice way) when I left a note/chord hanging to the end.  Newer wireless stuff is no doubt much better than the one I used and probably don't chew batteries like the early models did.
On large stages, I put my rack to the side of me and run longer speaker cables (works fine if your full stage left or right).  There are also other considerations with wireless as the transmitter frequencies affect one another, if it's just you (and doesn't pick up taxis etc) that won't be a problem.  Also you get what you pay for, the good ones are more expensive but generally worth it.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

chester_the_jester

Badgerplex.  Killer.

good luck

ctj

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

GuitarBuilder

You just recited the main reason for going wireless.  You won't need to modify the guitar and you can be as far away from the rack as you wish.

Just don't buy a cheap unit.... :banana-dance:
ADA and Rockman Heads
Marshall amps
Strats and Les Pauls

El Chiguete

I've been thinking of going wireless too, so what units are out there that are a good choise for the normal player? By this I meen not a profesional player price but not a cheap unit either.
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

Peter H. Boer

• 2* MB-1 1*MP-1 + Jur's old Mod4Mk2
    • The Granny Attic

I've heard nothing but good news about the Line-6 line.
I've yet to try it on bass though.
Nothing beats MB-1s and MP-1s with MDRTs

http://www.thegrannyattic.com
http://www.Illumion.net
http://www.sote.nl
Pages: [1]   Go Up