• Welcome to ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear.

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Main Menu

MP-1 Gain section

Started by DannyjoeCarter, December 30, 2016, 02:47:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DannyjoeCarter

OK Folks another techie question;
How many stages of gain are in the MP-1 and how much voltage is hitting the two tubes?

I'm figuring the MP-1 is not like the Marshall JMP1 where I believe it's solid state/diodes and gets warmed up a little bit somewhere along the line with a 12AX7? I think the Rocktron Voodoo Valve did the same thing - SS then gets a little tone from a 12AX7 -
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com
www.youtube.com/dannyjoecarter
www.Faceb**k.com/dannyjoe.carter

Harley Hexxe

Hi DJC,

No, the MP-1 is definitely not like the JMP1.  I think there are two gain stages, but MJMP would be the one to answer that question definitively.
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

DannyjoeCarter

OK thank you Harley, I will wait for MJMP to jump in on this one  :)
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

MarshallJMP

Since each 12ax7 has 2 sections there are 4 gain stages in the MP-1.Same goes for the MP-1 classic and MP-2 (and even the MB-1).

And yes you are right about the JMP-1, solid state with a tube for warmup. One tube for the clean section and one for the distortion section.So no real tube overdrive sounds like in the MP-1.

Harley Hexxe

Quote from: MarshallJMP on December 30, 2016, 12:23:18 PM
Since each 12ax7 has 2 sections there are 4 gain stages in the MP-1.Same goes for the MP-1 classic and MP-2 (and even the MB-1).

And yes you are right about the JMP-1, solid state with a tube for warmup. One tube for the clean section and one for the distortion section.So no real tube overdrive sounds like in the MP-1.

Well that solves the mystery for me too! Thank MJMP :bow:

DannyjoeCarter

OK good to know MarshallJMP!
You can actually feel it when you play the MP-1 because there is a give and a breathe to it. I have been playing my best friend's 1.38 for the last two weeks until mine arrive and I remembered the way the MP-1 responded to your picking attack the same way a regular tube amps feels.
The Rocktron Chameleon and the Marshall JMP1 has a very stiff solid state feel which, can sound good at times but when you crank it really loud is when you really hear and feel that something is missing - like the tubes! LOL!

Still a little curious how much voltage flows through those two tubes -
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

MarshallJMP

The standard high voltage is 190V, with an MDRT you can bump it up to 240V.

DannyjoeCarter

Quote from: MarshallJMP on December 30, 2016, 02:11:48 PM
The standard high voltage is 190V, with an MDRT you can bump it up to 240V.
Wow that's pretty hot - I like that!! I'm going to for through the forum and find a little more about the MDRT and who on here can do it and how much!
Great info Marshall JMP  :thumb-up:

Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

rnolan

Hey DjC, MJMP gets the MDRTs made, prices are on his site (http://www.marshalljmpmodshop.net/miscellaneous_parts_and_replacement_tubes.htm).  It's not a hard mod with minimal soldering, but easy job for any tech.  And as I posted before, really opens up the MP1.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Harley Hexxe

Quote from: rnolan on December 31, 2016, 04:28:19 AM
Hey DjC, MJMP gets the MDRTs made, prices are on his site (http://www.marshalljmpmodshop.net/miscellaneous_parts_and_replacement_tubes.htm).  It's not a hard mod with minimal soldering, but easy job for any tech.  And as I posted before, really opens up the MP1.

That's the popular concensus, but to my ears, it seems to alter the core tone of the MP-1. For better or for worse is subjective to your personal taste, and what you are looking for out of your amp. That's why I haven't jumped on that bandwagon. I'm not sure I would like the change.

rnolan

Hey Harley, again very salient, and I hear what you mean.  I think you would like the change but ideally you kind of need one of each.  I was gobsmacked after MikeB made the change to his MP-1, the MDRT really opens up the MP-1, but the MP-1 stock has a creamy (almost boxy) sound (kind of warm ??).  With MDRT it's allot more articulate.

Harley Hexxe

Quote from: rnolan on December 31, 2016, 04:51:58 AM
Hey Harley, again very salient, and I hear what you mean.  I think you would like the change but ideally you kind of need one of each.  I was gobsmacked after MikeB made the change to his MP-1, the MDRT really opens up the MP-1, but the MP-1 stock has a creamy (almost boxy) sound (kind of warm ??).  With MDRT it's allot more articulate.

So it's not just me who noticed it. That's the thing I like about the original MP-1 it has a warm low end to it. So you lose some of that warmth with the MDRT?

rnolan

Hey Harley, no you are correct, the sound changes, is it for the better or worse (subjective). Hey @MikeB you could chime in here.
I think one of my first comments to Mike when I heard it was wow that's going toward the MP2 and what it can do  >:D .

So yeah you loose some of the warmth (but better to say boxyness) of stock.

Harley Hexxe

Okay, I don't want to lose that bottom end. Between the MP-1 and the 3TM, I can cover just about anything the MP-2 can give me but with the MP-1 character. There is a difference there.

Of course, that doesn't mean I'll be letting go of my MP-2's  :lol: I have too much invested in the learning curve of those now.

rnolan

I cant speak for the 3TM, maybe in the future  >:D ?? But the advantages of the MDRT in stock MP-1 are definitely worth it, it's like lifting off a vale seriously  :thumb-up: .  That said however, there is something in the stock MP-1 sound that you loose (for me it's kind of a boxy/compressed/mud (but nice warm mud)  :dunno: ) so one of each makes sense.