ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do some of you guys have a FLYRIG?  (Read 7759 times)

Chucky

• Long Live JURRRRIIIIIIE!!!!
Do some of you guys have a FLYRIG?
« on: Time Format »

This is a bit in the same line of thoughts as Systematic Chaos' post about downsizing...
Only his post is about changing his rig entirely for a smaller/more practical one.

Now does some of you guys have an actual mini set-up to bring along for jams, smaller venues, plane travels etc?

I used to bring a handful of pedals, like one OD, one or two distortions (For different grinds), a wah and that was it.
But last year, in 2015, I went to Morocco for 6 months (With no gigs planned before departing) and I brought one guitar and
these pedals.
Since I got a gig ten days after my arrival, I started using this set-up into a Marshall MG100dx combo that's actually mine
and that I left in Morocco at a friend's place since 2013.

I had been for a few years contemplating options as a flyrig...Mostly floorboards with everything included in them.
All the Line 6 stuff doesn't cut it for me...and most other low budget modeling.

I finally took a chance and bought a used TC Electronics Nova System from some guy back in Canada.
Took almost 2 months to get it... But hell was this worth it!!

I have yet to find something else that is this small, solid, intuitive, packed with features, all analog ODs and Distortions,
tuner, tap tempo features, spillover, etc.
This thing has been my flyrig (Along with a wah pedal) ever since.
It even doubles up as my practicing toy back home.

Love it.

Here's a clip of me back there in Casablanca using the Nova into the Marshall combo.
I was also using a TCE old chorus/flanger (That my employer lent to me and gave me at the end of the gig!!!) as a rotary speaker device.
That thing is in my main rig now.
The guy on the left is the owner of the place...Well in his 60s and still enjoying playing after a 30 year hiatus.
We were backed by 2 black dudes from Ivory Coast. Talk about culture clash on one stage!!  O0 ::)

PS: As an ADA fan, I am planning to eventually build a medium rig, using an MP-1 Classic as the tone generator, Nova system as switcher/effect processor and feed it either in my Fender Twin or my Carvin TS100 poweramp and 4x12 marshall cab.  >:D
« Last Edit: Time Format by Chucky »
EMGs suck my energies.

vansinn

Re: Do some of you guys have a FLYRIG?
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

How about this approach:
Build a 19" rig with most of what's needed. You'll need a MIDI floorboard, so:
Use the Boss ES-5 or -8. These combine a MIDI controller and analog router/switcher, so:
Build the ES and attached most needed pedals into a floor suitcase.

You'll now be able to use the floor board standalone, or in combination with the [19"] rig.
Arrange some presets for the combined everything, and some others purely for the pedals.

Do note that the ES boards allows for switching pedals in various arrangements - including parallel, plus setting levels.
In other words, you can use the MIDI to select scenarios while still be able to stomp along.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Hey Chucky, I've been thinking to build small rack a bit like Dante with MP2 and FX unit in the parallel loop, so 2 RU, if you went to 4 RU you could include a Carvin DCM200 (I RU and very light) or a B200s (2RU).  While I love my Carvin TS100, it's very heavy (the brick).  So RG does this allot, mostly based around one of his Boss/Roland pedals and he has a couple of small poweramps, so just needs cabs to be supplied.
Now I don't use any pedals (except midi patch changer ADA MXC), nor do I ever want one in front of me again. But that's me, obviously others like various pedals (hey all power to them). The best thing I ever did is go rack and ditch the annoying little things (and their wall warts).

Other choice could be Rockman units ? though probably problematic.  I know one guy who tours with a TC GMaj and gets all his sounds from it.  While it's not tube, the new ADA APP1 may be worth considering ? very portable
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Hey Chucky,

I would have never ever thought about downsizing my trusted wrecking-ball Boogie Triaxis/2:90/Lexicon MPX-G2 rig if it was´t for the different voltages in Europe vs Japan and the need for a sufficiently spec'd voltage converter/regulator had I kept the big rig.

For the fly-in purposes I discovered the Bias and JamUpPro Apps in 2013/2014 which have been refined quite a bit since then.
Here´s my briefcase rig incorporating an iPad and a small midi board: http://adadepot.com/index.php?topic=554.msg6038#msg6038
You could even "downsize" it some more by using an iRig BlueBoard Bluetooth Midi board.

The current version of BiasFX sounds pretty convincing...check out Marty Friedman doing the amazing Amagigoe from his "Tokyo Jukebox" album on BiasFX
« Last Edit: Time Format by Systematic Chaos »

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

I'm with SC on this one ^^ Been using Amplitube on iPod and iPad, it's my backup rig. I have a little $40 adapter to plug it into my existing midi foot pedals, i could just take a suitcase with the pedals and iPad. How does the app stuff sound? Surprisingly good. Good enough for who it's for ;)

My 2U rig (ADA MP-2 & Boss GX-700) is my first choice. Gotta bring the suitcase of pedals and a 2u rack, and if they don't have a backline, I gotta bring the 1x12 combo. (I could go directly to the board with the 2u rack, it sounds good)
« Last Edit: Time Format by Dante »

vansinn

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

@Dante, what's this $40 adapter?

Now, in general, WRT a compact 19" rig, I still use my MP-2 and Digitech TSR-24S (in the MP-2 loop), plus a Lexicon Vortex.
Über nice 3U rig, but.. only works with real amps, or using the MP-2 emulation through powered speakers. It just doesn't cut it for recording.
If I were to add additional hardware for emulation, it all could be made to still fit a 3U as the Vortex is compact enough to be vertically rear mounted.

Now, had I been playing in a band, I could simply shop two combos, but having zero interest in dragging amps, I tend to prefer emulation into the recording or PA console - which means more gear, which has to be really good (as in Two Notes Torpedoes), which means more expenses than the two combos :facepalm:
« Last Edit: Time Format by vansinn »

Chucky

• Long Live JURRRRIIIIIIE!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

How about this approach:
Use the Boss ES-5 or -8. These combine a MIDI controller and analog router/switcher, so:

You'll now be able to use the floor board standalone, or in combination with the [19"] rig.
Arrange some presets for the combined everything, and some others purely for the pedals.

Do note that the ES boards allows for switching pedals in various arrangements - including parallel, plus setting levels.
In other words, you can use the MIDI to select scenarios while still be able to stomp along.
Honest, anything rackmounted is a pain in the ass.
It means you need the roadcase for it and it's already sizeable.
Plus you add a MIDI floorboard and pedals...It's a lot of components.

Now with the Nova, I have one thing that is the foot controller and all the pedals needed to go through
just about any gig, no sweat.
There may be no tubes, but the OD/dist section is all analog.
All the while, all the software based method are also tubeless...

That's what is cool with the Nova: I can take only that (And a guitar) and feed it direct in a PA if I had to.
There's a speaker sim onboard.
Then If I want to bypass the "preamp" section, I could link any ADA preamp through the MIDI out, say my MP-1 Classic,
thus changing the ADA presets for tones while using the effects already programmed on the Nova.
And the thing lets you tap tempo your delays on the fly, has a built in tuner, 3-band full parametric EQ, boost switch,
you can add an expression pedal to go whammy with it...The works!
And I don't need to buy a loop controller or a MIDI pedal. It's all self contained.
You can also use it as an effect in an amp's loop.
Stupid versatile.

And Oh!! Yes. TCE stuff works both on 110/220V...You don't even have to worry about that also.  :thumb-up:

Palm Springs commercial photography
« Last Edit: Time Format by Chucky »
EMGs suck my energies.

vansinn

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

How about this approach:

Honest, anything rackmounted is a pain in the ass.
It means you need the roadcase for it and it's already sizeable.
Plus you add a MIDI floorboard and pedals...It's a lot of components.

Ahh, I understand what you mean, but I think you misunderstood my suggestion.
Maybe I didn't clarify too well:
My suggestion allows for detaching the MIDI-capable floor controller with attached stomp pedals, and use this as a completely stand-alone setup for traveling (leaving the rest of the rig back home).

When in need of the whole shebang, attach this floor board setup to the 19" rig, and use whichever features applies from each part.

vansinn

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Ok, another approach to a compact, yet still programmable rig:

A 3U 9½" (halfrack) rig, featuring either a Boss SE-50 (analog/digital) or a Boss SE-70 (digital), and two H&K Crunch Master amps.
(12ax7+el84. The Blues Master likewise is pure tube, but with fewer tone control options. Metal Master has tube pre and solidstate poweramp)
If memory serves, the SE-50 features a send/return loop, so the most can't-live-without-stomp goes in there.
A standalone Wah goes on the floor, along with an ultra-compact 5-preset per channel MIDI board.

Or just get a Line-6 Pod HD-500..
« Last Edit: Time Format by vansinn »

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

I get it

To be honest, I was quite impressed with the drive tones in the Nova System when I had mine. I used it with my Boogie combo, and was able to get 4 good sets of cover tunes from one bank of patches simply because of the versatility of the unit. I opted for the ol' GT-8 instead, but only because it could switch my amp's channels for me & the Nova could not.

The Nova System did open my eyes in a lot of ways. The dedicated boost button alone was worth the price of admission. Once I had that in my Nova, I figured a way to do that in my GX-700 by using the Quad switch in my ADA MXC controller. Simply having that boost freed up two patches on my pedalboard that were previously dedicated 'solo' patches. Now, I have ten solo patches in each bank - WIN.

It also got me thinking about how to switch individual FX on/off because you can still use the buttons on the Nova as stompboxes. Again, I used the quad switch. Once I had this figured out, I had no need for the Nova System any longer. So, I can use my existing MXC pedalboard (which is housed in an old suitcase) and - if I had to - I could use that with the iRig stuff.

Van - the $40 attachment is an iRig Midi (the old model that fits into a 30-pin connector, because it lets you charge the iPod while you use it!!)

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

An interesting thread Gang,

I've never been impressed with App based guitar tones, so I never messed with them for any length of time. To me they sounded very much like the Zoom units which were very over-processed sounding and cheesy. Although the BIAS App that SC mentions seems to be different.
  I never had a chance to audition the Nova system which looks like a scaled down version of the G-System. TCE does make excellent quality gear, although I've never owned any. I have used some of the old units in the studios, (2290, & 1210), and they are some of the best units I've ever heard to this day.
  I am considering a pedal rig that can just be used direct into the board for smaller venues, but that's where I'm considering the APP-1, and some of the newer ADA gear along with a few Earthquaker devices, to get everything I'm looking for on a pedal board that is light, and versatile, By versatile, I mean to be able to go direct as well as into an amplifier, and still get tones as close to what I get from my full blown rack gear.

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Hey Harley, just had a thought, you could use an APP1 with the MP1ch in its loop (expensive but would sound interesting)
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rickeb1

« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Has anyone taken a look at the Tech 21 offering for a fly rig (aptly named)?  Seems like it could cover many bases:
http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/rk5.html

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

I would be interested in checking that thing out ^^^

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Hey Richard,

Yes, I had considered that already, and I was the one who suggested putting the MP1cn in the effects loop of the APP-1, if I was reading the technical info correctly, it would function much like a lead/gain boost. The real question there would be how does it sound like that?

That RK5 by Tech 21, is what Richie Kotzen is using with the Winery Dogs. His is modified so that he uses a TRS plug from that into his Dunlop wah, and that is what supplies power to the wah pedal. That is his complete floor setup these days. It does seem to have some cool basic tones to it.

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!
Pages: [1]   Go Up