ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: AVID Eleven Rack Opinions  (Read 16509 times)

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
Re: AVID Eleven Rack Opinions
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

Again I've yet to hear anything that seriously rivals MP1/2 for the gain/tone stage. And lots of good digital FX to pick from to mix in. If I had an AxeFX I'd just use the FX.

I'll let you play my Triaxis/2:90 rig dry (FX bypassed) when you visit me in the land of the rising sun   ;D

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

Cool look forward to it. Hey I may come to Europe and catch up, it's a while before your posting isn't it ? I've been wanting visit MJMP in Belgium, maybe even get Dante along. I played through one in a friends studio a while ago and wasn't particularly impressed but I didn't tweak it so it was subject to whatever had been programmed, I thought it should have (could have) sounded better. Also the guitar I was using is made by a New Zealand guy using ancient wood from the bottom of a lake almost petrified. Wood seemed fine (very interesting), the PUs weren't as good as he thinks they are (he makes his own..) and I could give him some tips on how to make a better guitar, it didn't play that well (my taste).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

trader144

« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

Nice!
The 11R is an awesome piece of gear, goes by "Poor Mans AxeFX" over here  :thumb-up:

Great I now have the complete poor man's setup: 60's strat (my 62 reissue), triaxis (my MP-1), AxeFX (my 11 rack), Marshall cab (my ADA split stack), and probably others.

By the way, for anyone considering something like it,  here is something to be aware of:
The 11 rack has the ability to electronically change/redesignate the inputs and output jacks between dry wet in or out.  Had I not been able to get a dry signal out of the 11 rack "to amp" jack  to go into the MP-1 input and then back into the 11 rack via the FX loop it probably would have been returned. This was the only configuration I could find that gave me the MP-1 sound. All other configurations were unuseable due to poor sound (either digitally sounding or had a level mismatch). The level mismatch could not be compensated for and both the MP-1 and 11rack have more than adequate ways to compensate. All of the other configurations I tried didn't work.

Guitars: Malmsteen strat, Fender '62 reissue
Rig: Avid 11 Rack -> ADA MP-1 (stock) ->  ADA Microtube 100 -> ADA split stack

trader144

« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

I'm not looking for more rack gear, but I did run across an Eleven Rack nearby at a reasonable price (which is rare in itself) so I'm considering it. Especially after reading all the reviews about running it directly into the PA (we use IEMs, which is nice).

IIRC, the big drag about these is that the mono (Left) output is on the front, while the second output (for stereo) is on the back (wtf?). Also, it appears to only work with ProTools, I use LOGIC. Hmmm...

Any other opinions?

There is a free editor from Avid that I am using. I didn't buy protools. Not sure what I am missing.
On the front back plug, they were targeting studios who use XLR not live performances with 1/4 inch jacks, but...one more jack in the back would have been smart. You could always run a 90 degree plug from the front to the back and tell people the rig is a custom build.

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

I'm not looking for more rack gear, but I did run across an Eleven Rack nearby at a reasonable price (which is rare in itself) so I'm considering it. Especially after reading all the reviews about running it directly into the PA (we use IEMs, which is nice).

IIRC, the big drag about these is that the mono (Left) output is on the front, while the second output (for stereo) is on the back (wtf?). Also, it appears to only work with ProTools, I use LOGIC. Hmmm...

Any other opinions?

There is a free editor from Avid that I am using. I didn't buy protools. Not sure what I am missing.
On the front back plug, they were targeting studios who use XLR not live performances with 1/4 inch jacks, but...one more jack in the back would have been smart. You could always run a 90 degree plug from the front to the back and tell people the rig is a custom build.
There is more than enough space directly next to the Output jack othe back. Just mod/drill a hole in there and put a second jack there, then hardwire it from the connections of the front Output jack to the back ... saw that kinda mod a couple of times on 11Rs

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

Can I just bludgeon a hole with a chisel?

Way cooler, more fun, and it leaves an interesting shape to the hole

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

Welding is fun, too....  :thumb-up: :thumb-up: :thumb-up:

For the above mentioned applications I generally use these though:

trader144

« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

Just a follow-up

The 11 rack has 2 xlr plugs in the back for output to amp or board.  This is what I use to connect to my power amp via an xlr to 1/4" cable. I do not use the amp-out jacks (one on front and one on back).

I really like what the True-z input does for the Mp-1, kind of increases articulation and clarity.

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

Just pulled the trigger on an 11R myself, waiting for it to show up at my place....

trader144

« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

Cool.

Here is how I did my setup in case it helps--took me a while as there are so many ways to set it up that work and don't work:

ADA midi pedal into MP-1 and out to 11R midi in

Guitar into 11R True z input-->FX loop send (stomp box level) to Mp-1 rear input -->MP-1 A out -->11R FX return --> 11R XLR out --> ADA Micro tube input

MP1 volume knob at 9 O'clock (25%)

11rack (free) editor setup for live performances:
FX loop in first position all knobs 100%
Spring reverb
Tape delay
No cabs or amps

For a bluesy clean and Bonamassa sound midi patches I added some parametric EQ in the mix

You can go straight to computer from the headphone jack with amp and can sims.

Lots of free patches to download.

Let us know how it goes.

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

In search for a bedroom/headphone amp/rig and simple recording solution I compared it against a Pod HD500X and a GT100 and the 11R won hands-down....
I was mainly looking for an affordable modeller with my "comfort zone" amp sounds (Boogie Mk)...
Got the 11R including ProTools for ~300€ so it was a no-brainer....
Not planning on building a big rig or anything else around it....my Triaxis/2:90 wrecking ball covers that ;)

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #26 on: Time Format »

Awesome. I've been seeing them around here for about $350-$400 US. Sounds like a good practice rig, but as you say, why build around it when what you have is doing the trick? Tempting as it's been - one guy was looking to trade for a guitar....which I have a few of - I have not ventured forth.

I'm now more tempted by the little bluetooth floorboard thingy to work my iPod using the iRig app.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up