ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Story time: Brand Name Snobbery  (Read 28951 times)

Iperfungus

• Methodical killers do good jobs!
Re: Story time: Brand Name Snobbery
« Reply #45 on: Time Format »

Not as sexy as my Tokai (already posted this in the axe forum)  It's actually one of my more expensive axes as it has age and collectibility on it's side.

What's that????:bow:

I'm currently working on a Fernandes The Function of a friend...restyle, pickup swap and set-up....it's a very nice MIJ guitar.
On the run again!

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #46 on: Time Format »

it's a Tokai SD603 Super Strat from 88/89 I believe.  Sounds great!  The trem is only locking at the nut so basically it behaves like a regular strat trem (what do I mean?)  it goes out of tune when you use the floyd rose but when you bend a string it will return to pitch.

You can tune it to stay in tune when you dive b*mb but then when you string bend then you go out of tune and therefore have to dip the trem arm in order to get it return to pitch.

I like some old Fernandes models.  If I had the money I'd buy one of those Brad Gillis Fernandes signature models.  This is pure sexy this guitar!

"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Iperfungus

« Reply #47 on: Time Format »

Your Tokai is a lovely, sexy Super Strat!

I will post pictures of that Fernandes once I will finish the job with it!
You will love it...

The FR tremolo is very similar...not a real double-locking (just locking nut).
I removed original crappy pickups and put a DiMarzio SD at bridge and 2 Carvin AP11 single coil pickups.
I'm working on frets, then I'll put it back together and I'll see...
On the run again!

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #48 on: Time Format »

Does that Brad Gillis model have the sustainer?

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #49 on: Time Format »

No it doesn't Dante.  I don't think the "Sustainer"  was around back then either.

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

Iperfungus

« Reply #50 on: Time Format »

Here we go.
Fernandes The Function, MIJ Super Strat from the '80s.

It was in bad overall conditions (dirt everywhere, dust, rust, bad/no setup, old rusted strings, crappy pickups, FR tremolo issues, very worn frets...) and now it's back to life.

DiMarzio SuperDistortion rules!

« Last Edit: Time Format by Iperfungus »
On the run again!

Iperfungus

« Reply #51 on: Time Format »

And now, Ladies and Gentlemen...let me introduce you...

On the run again!

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #52 on: Time Format »

Holy smokes!  That trem is nearly the same as the one on my Tokia!!  You were right.  However it has different saddles.

Tell me, do you fit the ball end of the string through the  black screws that are used to fit the intonation?  If so then even that is the same as my Tokai.

I like this fernandes!  Those blade pups look great.  How do they sound?

Yes Dimarzio Super D is my fav pickup.  I have about 6-7 of them fitted :)  Not because I am a snob either  :lol:  They just do what I want perfectly.

Iperfungus

« Reply #53 on: Time Format »

Tell me, do you fit the ball end of the string through the  black screws that are used to fit the intonation?  If so then even that is the same as my Tokai.

Exactly the same way!  :thumb-up:
Strings pass through those screws.
Different saddles, same system.
There's Head Crasher engraved there.

I like this fernandes!  Those blade pups look great.  How do they sound?

They sound crappy!
Worst pickups I've ever heard.
Low output, noisy, lack of basses...bad overall tone...
I don't know the models...but it doesn't matter: they're good for garbage.

Original VH-1 pickups I had on a '90s MIJ Burny/Fernandes SuperGrade Les Paul copy were good pickups.
These ones are not at all.

Yes Dimarzio Super D is my fav pickup.  I have about 6-7 of them fitted :)  Not because I am a snob either  :lol:  They just do what I want perfectly.

The Super D is a pickup I'm learning to love a lot...
On the run again!

Iperfungus

« Reply #54 on: Time Format »

I like some old Fernandes models.  If I had the money I'd buy one of those Brad Gillis Fernandes signature models.  This is pure sexy this guitar!

http://alienxnation.com/brad-gillis-fernandes/

The non-fine tuner Floyd Roses which we like to call prototypes and the Headbanker on the ST-80BG are awesome and very well made tremolos. These bridges many consider the best Floyds ever produced. We can attest to the fact that these prototypes to the moderdern Floyd Rose tremolos are indeed very tone-full trems which are built much much better than any locking tremolo available today. One secret we can reveal is that the tremolos on these Brad Gillis models despite the fact that they are lacking in fine tuners can manage to stay in tune. While we definitely prefer Floyds that have fine-tuners, when a non-fine tuner floyd is coupled with the same era hump-back Floyd Rose locking nut something magical happens. The guitar stays in tune. Try it, you might just become one of those guys that swears by a Brad Gillis Floyd Rose System. Of course one with the uber-rare hump-back Floyd Rose prototype nut!

100% true: the Head Crasher FR tremolo on that The Function perfectly works...it's smooth and it stays in tune.
On the run again!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #55 on: Time Format »

Hey Max, very nice, and I like your trick with the post it notes under the FR  :thumb-up: (I use a folded up guitar cloth to do that bit when I change strings, and I always do the full set...). Nice tidy bench BTW.
But talking about red super strats:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Iperfungus

« Reply #56 on: Time Format »

Wow...a beautiful Tom Anderson Strat.... :thumb-up:
Epic winner!

The trick with the post-it also makes it easier to tune back the guitar, having the bridge at right level already: you just need to use the right amount of post-it under the bridge to keep it in place as it is with strings.  ^-^
It works fine with 6-screws or standard Strat bridges as well, if you don't use it flat on the top of guitar's body.
On the run again!

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #57 on: Time Format »

That is a nice guitar Richard.  I still like mine better though  :lol:  But I'd gladly play one like yours should I ever come across one at a good price.

@Iperfungus
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190683002440?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&var=490069731866&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Check this trem out.  I want to try this out, it actually looks good!  And locks at both ends!  But you can still keep the ball end attached!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #58 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, they are very nice guitars (I like yours too BTW  :thumb-up: :wave: ), it was one of the first he made (as a Tom Anderson) and the first ProAm in Australia.  I was building guitars back then, when it came into the shop I tried it and was gobsmacked... I thought, try as hard as I can "maybe" I could build something this good (but not better). Took me years to pay it off, it was the first expensive guitar I'd ever bought ($3.5k in 1988ish). It and I are now joined at the hip (as it were). Unfortunately along the way he had to change the peghead design, no doubt fender were at him  :facepalm: , a shame as the newer Anderson pegheads are ugly.

Hey those trems look good  :thumb-up:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Iperfungus

« Reply #59 on: Time Format »

@Iperfungus
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190683002440?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&var=490069731866&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Check this trem out.  I want to try this out, it actually looks good!  And locks at both ends!  But you can still keep the ball end attached!

They look hybrid of a FR and an Ibanez Edge!  :lol:
For the price, it worth a try!

Let me know how it works, if you'll try one...
On the run again!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up